IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Steve - I have used both a NAS and a local SSD drive for music playback from the Aries Mini. I did not notice a discernible difference in audio quality. I will say there are others who will recommend one or the other based on their experiences, which are as valid as mine.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks so much to everyone who has weighed in on the differences in sound quality between the Aries Mini, RPI2/HiFiBerry Digi+, and Oppo 103 when streaming to an external DAC. This is exactly the type of information I've been looking for as I contemplate the move to a dedicated streamer/DAC solution.

baddog, I've got a quick question for you--was your SSD internal in the Aries Mini or was it external and hooked up via USB?

Guys, has anyone compared streaming from a NAS against using a SSD in the Aries, and noticed a difference in SQ?

More specifically, I'm streaming Tidal HiFi to an external Dac and I'm really pleased with the results. Tidal also has every CD I own (and likely to) ! so I see an opportunity to abandon all other digital sources for the sum of £20 a month.

But I can't help wondering that maybe there's the potential to squeeze a bit more SQ out if I use the SSD facility in the Aries to put all my CDs on ?

I know I can test this myself ! but would appreciate some opinion before risking £200 on a SSD.

I'm not sure if this is really just a general "Streaming vs Hard-drive" question, but either way I'd be grateful.

Thanks a lot, Steve

I've done both the internal SSD and minimserver from my mac mini. I feel streaming from the network provides more detail, but also perhaps a bit of thinness. Very subtle differences, if any really. I haven't reinstalled the SSD. I would say save the $280 unless you're experiencing some instability with the network setup.

The LPS is essential when using the Aries Mini DAC, without it the DAC has an edgy sound, can irritate. As a streamer to external DAC, the differences are subtle, they are there but only a small improvement.

I agree. I use the Mini as a streamer with the SBooster LPS. The difference is subtle, but important. The LPS in this configuration doesn't chnage tonality, but it does affect staging / presence. It enhances the reflections of the recording room (room, concert hall, church, whatever).

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Steve - I have used both a NAS and a local SSD drive for music playback from the Aries Mini. I did not notice a discernible difference in audio quality. I will say there are others who will recommend one or the other based on their experiences, which are as valid as mine.

Barr

Steve - I use etiher Minimserver on Synology NAS as source or an internal 512 Gb SSD (Samsung 850 Evo). I cannot here any difference. I primarily use the internal SSD as my Wifi network is sometimes busy while streaming HD video for my daughter. The music had hick ups so instead of investing in double WiFi networks I decided to invest in this SSD.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Guys, has anyone compared streaming from a NAS against using a SSD in the Aries, and noticed a difference in SQ?

More specifically, I'm streaming Tidal HiFi to an external Dac and I'm really pleased with the results. Tidal also has every CD I own (and likely to) ! so I see an opportunity to abandon all other digital sources for the sum of £20 a month.

But I can't help wondering that maybe there's the potential to squeeze a bit more SQ out if I use the SSD facility in the Aries to put all my CDs on ?

I know I can test this myself ! but would appreciate some opinion before risking £200 on a SSD.

I'm not sure if this is really just a general "Streaming vs Hard-drive" question, but either way I'd be grateful.

Thanks a lot, Steve

NAS's vary in streaming quality; I found streaming playback from the Buffalo NAS I started with to be barely above tabletop CD/radio for quality. I did find the sound of an SSD in the Aries mini acceptable but because its drawing on the same power bus as the streamer CPU it was less clean in sound than a good external NAS sending data over Wifi or Ethernet. Internal SSD will allow you to do a comparison test later if you start with internal SSD then shop for a NAS; if the NAS doesn't sound better why keep it?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Thanks so much to everyone who has weighed in on the differences in sound quality between the Aries Mini, RPI2/HiFiBerry Digi+, and Oppo 103 when streaming to an external DAC. This is exactly the type of information I've been looking for as I contemplate the move to a dedicated streamer/DAC solution.

baddog, I've got a quick question for you--was your SSD internal in the Aries Mini or was it external and hooked up via USB?

@Storytime - it was internal to the Aries Mini.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

28,000 tracks. Use Minimserver as well and very happy. Maybe this weekend I will try again with Lightning Server and report back as it has been a while since I tested with it.

I have used it with Lightning Server previously and it worked fine, save for some issues with Album covers and not being able to ignore "The" in band names.

28,000 tracks. Use Minimserver as well and very happy. Maybe this weekend I will try again with Lightning Server and report back as it has been a while since I tested with it.

I have used it with Lightning Server previously and it worked fine, save for some issues with Album covers and not being able to ignore "The" in band names.

Thanks to you and AustinPOP. Appreciate the information and reporting back about LighteningDS. I have a little under 40,000 tracks.

Well the good news is I forgot I had Lightning DS setup so I could toggle between using it with Minimserver and Lightning Server.

Unfortunately I am plagued with the same issue as others who get automatic updates of their applications from the Apple Store, and I can only navigate the library through Folder view not Library view on my iPad Mini.

Still have an issue with missing album art when using Lightning Server as opposed to Minimserver, but will troubleshoot that at a later date.

I need to redact one earlier comment - I am running Lightning DS 2.4. After about 20 minutes the Library view is back, it had to download all the cover art again.

And I can more accurately report 30,436 tracks in library. Which equals 2615 albums.

Does the Lightning software allow you to easily switch between outputs? I'd like to connect the Mini to my Trends TA-10.2 amp via RCA and also to the Resonessence Herus DAC/headphone amp via USB. Then I could keep everything connected and just use the software to switch between the two depending on whether I want to use speakers or headphones.

Thanks!

Does the Lightning software allow you to easily switch between outputs? I'd like to connect the Mini to my Trends TA-10.2 amp via RCA and also to the Resonessence Herus DAC/headphone amp via USB. Then I could keep everything connected and just use the software to switch between the two depending on whether I want to use speakers or headphones.

Thanks!

Yes, it is very easy to switch outputs from using it as a DAC via RCA to using it as a streamer via an output such as the USB port.

Yes, it is very easy to switch outputs from using it as a DAC via RCA to using it as a streamer via an output such as the USB port.

However... I reported a bug (and Auralic confirmed) that switching between outputs reverts the volume to 100%. Maybe it was fixed with firmware 3.0... Didn't test it yet.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

I need to redact one earlier comment - I am running Lightning DS 2.4. After about 20 minutes the Library view is back, it had to download all the cover art again.

And I can more accurately report 30,436 tracks in library. Which equals 2615 albums.

Good to know that large libraries, (& i consider 2615 albums a large library), works.

Thanks for following up.

Hi all,

Can someone who's using Auralic's LPS tell me if it's dual voltage (I assume not)? Is anyone aware of a dual voltage linear power supply, or is that just not a thing?

I love the Mini - and the new LDS iPhone application is a big step forward - but like some others I'm finding the internal DAC a little harsh. I'm hoping a linear power supply will fix that.

Hi all,

Can someone who's using Auralic's LPS tell me if it's dual voltage (I assume not)? Is anyone aware of a dual voltage linear power supply, or is that just not a thing?

I have the Auralic Linear LPS, and it is indeed single voltage - mine is marked 120V.

Do you really need one that works from 100-240V, or do you want one that is available for your voltage? For example, a quick check of the SBooster here shows you can order the mains voltage and power plug of your choice.

See this thread on the Auralic LPS. By changing some internal switches it can be configured. I would recommend contacting Auralic on guidance.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index30.html#post356070

Thanks, Austinpop. I'm actually looking for dual voltage, because I move countries once every few years (quite a life...). If there's no such thing as a good dual-voltage linear power supply, I might just pick up a Musical Paradise MP-D1 DAC and be done with it. I'm not enthusiastic about a higher box count, but that option is cheaper than buying two LPSs and could result in better sound anyway.

I love the Mini so far - the sound is open, detailed, and has a great sense of flow - but the top end edginess is irritating, and from what others have said I'm assuming the DAC is the culprit.