IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

I visited a good friend today, and took my RPI2, running RuneAudio, with me. My friend has a high-end set-up very similar to mine (Quad Electrostatics, decent power amps, MDAC, etc.), together with his new recent addition, his Auralic Aries Mini. We connected the Pi to the DAC via coax (Digi+ output) and the Aries Mini via USB.

I covered the DAC display so neither of us knew what was playing then we both played the same track on our respective equipment and swapped sources. The remote control cycles through the inputs so, after several quick presses, neither of us knew which was selected. Then we started listening.

The difference was clear. One was flatter and dull, the other had more life and vitality and a wider frequency response. "That'll be mine then", stated my host. I removed the DAC display cover and, to his surprise and my delight, the Pi was the selected source.

I've agreed to build my friend a Pi.

I visited a good friend today, and took my RPI2, running RuneAudio, with me. My friend has a high-end set-up very similar to mine (Quad Electrostatics, decent power amps, MDAC, etc.), together with his new recent addition, his Auralic Aries Mini. We connected the Pi to the DAC via coax (Digi+ output) and the Aries Mini via USB.

I covered the DAC display so neither of us knew what was playing then we both played the same track on our respective equipment and swapped sources. The remote control cycles through the inputs so, after several quick presses, neither of us knew which was selected. Then we started listening.

The difference was clear. One was flatter and dull, the other had more life and vitality and a wider frequency response. "That'll be mine then", stated my host. I removed the DAC display cover and, to his surprise and my delight, the Pi was the selected source.

You've compared 2 streamers with 2 different connections, USB vs Coax ? Did you try the other way, Pi in USB and Aries in Coax ? Or Coax vs Coax in both case ?

Does the Aries Mini is brand new or has run for multiple hours ?

You have my sympathy... based on that result it sounds like the MDAC is limiting what you can actually hear with a digital source which is not surprising with a DAC whose design is 6 years old. I find I have to upgrade DAC's about every 2 years to stay current

If one sounds better than the other, IN THAT SYSTEM, is that not the only thing that matters? Pointing the finger at the MDAC as being less than cutting edge and therefore producing a tainted result, seems irrelevant if the listener is 1. not looking to replace the dac and 2. looking to evaluate his options of streaming sources without changing the rest of his system (I am in a similar position / search). The result of blind side by side listening while only changing one variable (the source) may be unexpected, but it is what it is.

An additional comparison might have been interesting: the MDAC-RPi2 combo side by side with the Aries Mini (with its current-gen dac chip) on its own (as streamer AND DAC). This should show the user once and for all whether he just likes the sound of his DAC in his system (always the qualifier) or whether the new kid on the block brings something of interest to the table.

Have you tried Aries mini with linear power supply?

I had M-DAC for sometime. From the memory Aries minis internal DAC with BOTW P&P ECO linear power supply sounds better.

I have also tried RPI2/battery power supply and with USB output I wasn't impressed ...

What power supply did you used for the RPI2?

Have you tried Aries mini with linear power supply?

I had M-DAC for sometime. From the memory Aries minis internal DAC with BOTW P&P ECO linear power supply sounds better.

I have also tried RPI2/battery power supply and with USB output I wasn't impressed ...

What power supply did you used for the RPI2?

Good question. Both were using independent high-quality linear power supplies.

As it happens, there was a mains conditioner involved for both units too.

But, with respect, you're over-analysing this...

Only interested what kind of linear power supplies were used. Original linear from Auralic? In the end it is great that you find RPi2 sound better. Somebody can save lots of money and they should know what linear PS they should buy for their RPi2 :-)

Thanks a lot for sharing!! I'm a happy Aries Mini owner, but your results are certainly very interesting. If you find time, it woulf be appreciated of you can compare Mini on USB and Pi on USB on your friends system. I changed my MacBook with Audirvana for the Aries Mini with satisfying results: the Mini improved on definition/imaging and bass response. I use an Uptone Audio REGEN as well (with the MacBook already). Without is the music sounds flatter and dull, just like you experienced...

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

If one sounds better than the other, IN THAT SYSTEM, is that not the only thing that matters? Pointing the finger at the MDAC as being less than cutting edge and therefore producing a tainted result, seems irrelevant if the listener is 1. not looking to replace the dac and 2. looking to evaluate his options of streaming sources without changing the rest of his system (I am in a similar position / search). The result of blind side by side listening while only changing one variable (the source) may be unexpected, but it is what it is.

An additional comparison might have been interesting: the MDAC-RPi2 combo side by side with the Aries Mini (with its current-gen dac chip) on its own (as streamer AND DAC). This should show the user once and for all whether he just likes the sound of his DAC in his system (always the qualifier) or whether the new kid on the block brings something of interest to the table.

That would be the philosophy of the audio salesman who just wants to take your money and not help you avoid a mistake. I couldn't do that 30 years ago when I sold audio... I'd take the risk of losing the customer rather than have them make an uninformed mistake. The OP has excellent speakers, in the mid range Quads can perform better than mine. So if I can hear an order of magnitude difference between the Aries mini and the other streamers I have or have owned (Raspberry Pi IIB, Beaglebone Black, SoTM SMS-100, Oppo103) that tells me something is choking fidelity in the OP's system. The biggest differences are made by starting closest to source then working down the signal path for A/B swaps and a 96khz DAC is a red flag for obsolescent technology.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

That would be the philosophy of the audio salesman who just wants to take your money and not help you avoid a mistake. I couldn't do that 30 years ago when I sold audio... I'd take the risk of losing the customer rather than have them make an uninformed mistake. The OP has excellent speakers, in the mid range Quads can perform better than mine. So if I can hear an order of magnitude difference between the Aries mini and the other streamers I have or have owned (Raspberry Pi IIB, Beaglebone Black, SoTM SMS-100, Oppo103) that tells me something is choking fidelity in the OP's system. The biggest differences are made by starting closest to source then working down the signal path for A/B swaps and a 96khz DAC is a red flag for obsolescent technology.

I agree 100% with the premise. The new SHOULD sound better and in your system I have no doubt that it does. HOWEVER, if you are right, switching the Aries Mini into his known system as both streamer and dac should prove your theory, when comparing it to Aries mini as streamer + Mdac as dac . There, the only variable remains the dac (old vs new) plus the possible impact of the cable between streamer and dac (scenario 'old' ).

So if I can hear an order of magnitude difference between the Aries mini and the other streamers I have or have owned (Raspberry Pi IIB, Beaglebone Black, SoTM SMS-100, Oppo103) that tells me something is choking fidelity in the OP's system. The biggest differences are made by starting closest to source then working down the signal path for A/B swaps and a 96khz DAC is a red flag for obsolescent technology.

davide256: Just to clarify, you DO hear an improvement of a order of magnitude between the Aries and those others? (My main interests are in comparisons with the Raspberry Pi IIB and the Oppo 103, both of which I've been considering as options.)

davide256: Just to clarify, you DO hear an improvement of a order of magnitude between the Aries and those others? (My main interests are in comparisons with the Raspberry Pi IIB and the Oppo 103, both of which I've been considering as options.)

The Raspberry Pi at $70 is a good place to start if you are on a budget, it will give you the fundamentals of streaming and sound better than the cheap blue ray players that throw in streaming. But its not very resolving for detail and quickly becomes a liability as you upgrade the system its attached to. The Oppo 103 will give you the mid range tone color that the Pi misses on. But it's high and low end of the spectrum sag compared to tone color authenticity and complex passage detail of its mid range capability. The Aries mini kicks this all up a notch, authentic tone color reproduction end to end for the audio spectrum, acoustic transients that sound real for piano, percussion block instruments, bass drum and guitar. And voices drive me crazy with most digital playback solutions, they sound fake.... the Mini always sounds as the performer, not a likeness when using Lightning DS server.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The Raspberry Pi at $70 is a good place to start if you are on a budget, it will give you the fundamentals of streaming and sound better than the cheap blue ray players that throw in streaming. But its not very resolving for detail and quickly becomes a liability as you upgrade the system its attached to. The Oppo 103 will give you the mid range tone color that the Pi misses on. But it's high and low end of the spectrum sag compared to tone color authenticity and complex passage detail of its mid range capability. The Aries mini kicks this all up a notch, authentic tone color reproduction end to end for the audio spectrum, acoustic transients that sound real for piano, percussion block instruments, bass drum and guitar. And voices drive me crazy with most digital playback solutions, they sound fake.... the Mini always sounds as the performer, not a likeness when using Lightning DS server.

I've been interested by all the replies to my initial observation. Given that both players were playing through the same DAC, and I've stated that the Pi sounds the same on all output options, the clues are there to arrive at a sensible conclusion; disappointingly, some haven't.

I have nothing further to add, but it would be good to hear from someone with a Pi who has 10 minutes to configure it to run on RuneAudio (with the ACX profile...). No point in just taking my word for it, is there? ;-)

All the best.

I've been interested by all the replies to my initial observation. Given that both players were playing through the same DAC, and I've stated that the Pi sounds the same on all output options, the clues are there to arrive at a sensible conclusion; disappointingly, some haven't.

I have nothing further to add, but it would be good to hear from someone with a Pi who has 10 minutes to configure it to run on RuneAudio (with the ACX profile...). No point in just taking my word for it, is there? ;-)

All the best.

easy enough to do since I still have both Pi2 and Beaglebone Black... they are just gathering dust now.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Ah ah you made my day!

Jokes aside, I am currently using a Raspberry Pi2 with MoodeAudio with very good result, which compare in terms of sound quality to what I'm getting when using my MacBook Air with Audirvana 2.

To "squeeze" the best out of my PI2 I have been using HiFiBerry Digi+ connected via coax to a LHLabs Geek Pulse x Dac. I also use a dual output linear Keces DC-116 to power both the raspberry and the dac.

In this configuration the MacBook with Audirvana still had a slight advantage IMO.

My latest addition has been an Uptone Audio USB regen, using the Raspberry USB instead.

In this configuration I cannot hear any difference compared to the Audirvana/Mac combo.

Finally the question for this thread: would I gain SQ in switching to an Aries Mini?

I strongly doubt that, but you never know....

Anyone in NYC with an Aries mini available for a direct comparison?

Franz

Finally the question for this thread: would I gain SQ in switching to an Aries Mini?

I strongly doubt that, but you never know....

I think you would notice an improvement. I've compared a Mac Mini with A+, a Pi2 (with HiFiBerry Digi+) with various software, and an Aries LE. The Raspberry Pi is extremely good, especially given it's price, but the Aries is definitely the best sounding. I also like the Aries Lightning DS app.
Thanks so much, davide256. One more question--do you notice much of a difference when using the LPS for streaming to an external DAC? Or is the difference only notable when using the internal Aries Mini DAC?

The LPS is essential when using the Aries Mini DAC, without it the DAC has an edgy sound, can irritate. As a streamer to external DAC, the differences are subtle, they are there but only a small improvement.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Guys, has anyone compared streaming from a NAS against using a SSD in the Aries, and noticed a difference in SQ?

More specifically, I'm streaming Tidal HiFi to an external Dac and I'm really pleased with the results. Tidal also has every CD I own (and likely to) ! so I see an opportunity to abandon all other digital sources for the sum of £20 a month.

But I can't help wondering that maybe there's the potential to squeeze a bit more SQ out if I use the SSD facility in the Aries to put all my CDs on ?

I know I can test this myself ! but would appreciate some opinion before risking £200 on a SSD.

I'm not sure if this is really just a general "Streaming vs Hard-drive" question, but either way I'd be grateful.

Thanks a lot, Steve