IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Hi Guys thanks for the really useful info in this site.

I was heading to buying an Aries mini, internal ssd and LPS. But here in Australia the Aries LPS costs a whopping USD $349 plus 10% Gst tax so nearly USD $400. Add in the ssd and for that total cost I can buy a synology 216+ nas plus 2 drives for less.

I understand that an LPS does not make a huge impact if no internal drive is used. I have reasonable power filtering so would welcome any suggestions as to optimising sound quality if I do a nas without an LPS on the Aries mini.

Many thanks

Sydneysider

• 1 year later...

Jonny Hi

I have 2 x Aries Mini (different rigs). I started with the internal SSD. I then moved to an external NAS drive connected wirelessly as this is what Aurilac recommend. If you are using a linear power supply then I doubt you will hear much difference. Even without an LPS you may not hear much difference as you are not using the internal Aries DAC. (Thumb drives are a different matter of course.). As the Aries Mini Lightning DS player software now uses a small memory cache it is not directly relying on disc read speed  - even Tidal sounds excellent. But only you will know when you compare under your own environment. 

Vincent

Sydneysider