IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Guys, has anyone compared streaming from a NAS against using a SSD in the Aries, and noticed a difference in SQ?

More specifically, I'm streaming Tidal HiFi to an external Dac and I'm really pleased with the results. Tidal also has every CD I own (and likely to) ! so I see an opportunity to abandon all other digital sources for the sum of £20 a month.

But I can't help wondering that maybe there's the potential to squeeze a bit more SQ out if I use the SSD facility in the Aries to put all my CDs on ?

I know I can test this myself ! but would appreciate some opinion before risking £200 on a SSD.

I'm not sure if this is really just a general "Streaming vs Hard-drive" question, but either way I'd be grateful.

Thanks a lot, Steve

I recently bought a Mini.

I have tried streaming from my NAS and using an SSD connected to the USB port.

With the later I did power the SSD from a Clean Stabilized Linear supply.

In order to get a reasonable sound quality from the Mini I had to use an external stabilized supply. I used a supply with 16v and 5v outputs. Using an internal SSD means that the 16 v supply has to dropped to 5v within the mini and I didnt think that the additional current flow and power dissipation within the small box would be desirable.

I did not hear any improvement in audio quality, which is in stark contrast to doing the same excercise with my CAPS.

As I listen to the mini I hear a slight harshness in the sound noticeable in the treble end and very obvious on 24/96 files.

This reflects, to my ears, into a slight loss of detail all round with a looseness in Bass - again to me, a tiring sound to listen to with little musicality.

Has anyone else tried Streaming from NAS and internal external SSD

I am still evaluating the Mini but so far my CAPS is way ahead and it looks like my trusty Squeezebox is going back into service

Ianmac

Engineered.ch NMR renderer/ JRiver/Benchmark DAC2HGC/Hypex Ncore/ ATC scm40.

+1

Mine sounded a tad harsh out of the box, took about 10 hours of play to go away and another 10 to fully burn in.

Has been running now for 3.5 weeks 24/7

The issue may be deeper rooted than component burn in.

Ianmac

Your best bet is to put an SSD internally within the Aries and verify things improve using Lightning Server with LPS power...otherwise you may be judging it on source issues that are external to the Aries. If it doesn't sound good with internal SSD running Lightning server, a NAS would only make an incremental improvement.

Thanks Dave,

Have tried all 3 options with a good quality LPS.

Two of the same sources NAS and ext SSD are used for my CAPS3 variant and its lovely.

Im looking to see if anyone has done any jitter measurements on the mini and if there could be external influences as the plastic case used to (I believe) allow Wi fi reception will also allow any form of unwanted RF signals to influence its operation.

Ill keep delving- It does say on the box its a High End Wireless Streamer so I dont think i'm expecting too much

Ianmac

If you watch the YouTube review linked to earlier you will see the amount of internal shielding the mini has. So I wouldn't think the plastic case is causing a problem, other than aesthetics maybe!

Found and watched the You Tube review. I would agree the screening looks good. You've saved me making a metal box to evaluate further,

Many thanks.

I'll keep delving, its only a matter of time before someone provides some measurements.

Ianmac