IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Yes but when you read all the posts in the thread you will see that someone is using this.

Hifi linear power DC-1 USBp/DAC/external power supply with digital display | eBay

Hi All,

I have just received my Mini and plan to use the internal DAC and maybe an internal SSD. I like the idea of using a LPS and want to try out the HiFi LPS in the link above. Can anyone tell me which of the following output settings I should choose?

Hifi linear power DC-1 USBp/DAC/external power supply with digital display

Input voltage: AC 220V AC 110V (optional)

Output voltage / current: 1: DC-5V/2.5A

2: DC-9V/1.66A

3: DC-12V/1.25A

4: DC-15V/1A

5: DC-24V/0.62A

(Available in five fixed voltage options,Please tell us which kind is your need).

Thanks in advance,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I'm no expert but the Mini requires 16V. So The 15V 1A should be fine (giving 15W to operate from), I have the Auralic LPS which is rated at 16V 1A. Others believe that more headroom is required so 15V 1.5A would be better (there are designs that have this rating or higher).

Neil

thank you neil

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some help setting up my Mini as I have run into a problem and I am not particularly tech savvy.

I have downloaded the latestet Lighting DS App for my iPhone V2.4 (12.11.15) and connected my 2TB external hard drive to the USB port adjacent to the Ethernet port.

I followed the install set up (it connecting easily to my wifi and I chose the RCA output) and received confirmation that the Mini was set up and was then invited to add my music library and chose Lightning Server (Aries Mini).

I eventually received a message saying that my library had been installed and a page appeared listing the number of Artists, Albums and Tracks - all good so far.

It then proceeded to index the Artists and it got to 100% and then suddenly gave me a message saying that something was wrong? I went into the main window (blue down left side) and clicked on the various menu items .... artists, composer, genre etc and they all stated that the Music Library was empty. However, when I opened the last menu item "Browse by Folder" it stated that there are:

4086 Albums

39021 Track

2196 Artist

228 Genre

etc.

When I go to play a song from one of these folders I get the message "Music Library Offline" and the music can't be played.

I am not sure what I have done wrong and couldn't find a manual your user guide (the one on the app is pretty useless) and would greatly appreciate any assistance if someone has the time.

Thanks very much in advance.

Ajax

P.S. Is there a forum address or somewhere you can post issues?

• 4 weeks later...
Two days into things. Kicked off another scan with Lightning Server 26 hours ago and currently scanning around the 140,500 track mark. Tried installing Minim Server on the NAS and Minimwatch on the laptop. Minimserver crashes after 6-7 minutes running out of memory while scanning the same set of files. Increased memory 300%. Still crashes at the same set of files. Unfortunately, the set of files are not descriptive enough to know exactly which ones they are (CD1, CD2, etc.).

I think my Auralic Aries Mini is going back tomorrow. Especially if the difference between the Aries mini DAC and the OPPO 105 dac is either zero or in the Oppo's favor. The Oppo works flawlessly, regardless of the library size.

Very disappointed.

Hi All,

I have had my MINI for 2 very frustrating weeks. I could not get it to read my external hard drive of 700G = 40,000 tracks properly. It created a different problem each time I scanned. I tried different hard drive types and also copied my music across to 3 different drives but to no avail.

By chance I needed to reduce my library to fit onto my laptop and after picking through my music I ended up with 9,000 tracks from my best loved albums = 200G. I deleted all tracks off one of my external hard drives (I have a NAS backup) and reformat it to FAT and installed only the 9,000 tracks.

Lighting DS read it easily and quickly (within 10 minutes) and everything is now working properly - my conclusion is therefore that the MINI simply cannot handle large music libraries.

I'm playing the Mini directly, and via a Benchmark HDR preamp/DAC, into a Parasound Halo A23 power amp with excellent results. IMO the DAC in the Mini is of a very good standard and when I have time I will A/B it against the Benchmark.... although now dated this was once a leading DAC and has provided me with 5 years of great listening.

I feel the Mini will be perfect to form the backbone of a multi room system and will replace my Apple Express system.... whether it replaces my MAC MINI in my main rig remains to be seen but IMO it is a seriously effective device combing convenience (streaming and local file playback) with high quality sound. If it gets integrated with Roon it will be very close to perfect for my needs.

Regards,

Ajax

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

An update and some feedback on my experiences.

I've had my Mini for 2 months now and am really enjoying the convenience of sourcing music from local files on a USB attached external hard drive and also streaming via Tidal.

In my living room I have the choice to either:

1. play tunes from my phone's iTunes app via airplay to an AE or

2. stream tidal via the LS app or local files into the mini

The AE is connected via optical and the Mini via USB into a Benchmark HDR DAC, balanced into a Halo A23 power amp and finally ATC 19 speakers. I much prefer the Mini's sound and like the LS App.

I have had no issues with the latest firmware upgrades - the mini and the LS App provide an intuitive, effective and inexpensive playback and streaming system.

Recommended.

• 6 months later...
Does anyone know what voltage / amps the Mini needs?

From Auralic's web site

The lowest acceptable input voltage is 14V(1.2A) and the maximum is 18V(1A).

Hi All,

I am really enjoying my Auraliac Mini and find the lighting DS software adequate, if a bit limited in features.

The only real issue I am having is that when I do not use the unit for some time, and it goes into standby mode, my iPhone often reads "No Device", which I assume means that it cannot locate the Mini on the Lan, and I have to set it up again. Problem is that the "power light" on top of the rear of the unit stays white (even after I remove and replace the power cord) and it does not turn yellow and flash as required by the set up process.

My unit is "wired" directly to my ISP supplied modem / route in one situation and to an Apple Express acting as a wireless booster in another.

Anyone else having the same problem and if so have they found a solution or an explanation as to why the iPhone cannot sometimes locate the Mini. My situation is intermittent, making it more difficult to find a cause and also more frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ajax

Thanks guys - I appreciate you both taking the trouble to address my problem

I'll try your suggestions.

Ajax

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have been using my Mini for about a year now with my local music installed on an external HD drive and playing into either a Benchmark HDR DAC or a Devialet 200. As you would expect there is a noticeable increase in quality with the external DACs, however, IMO the performance of the Mini's DAC is quite acceptable for general listening.

Yesterday I installed a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500G, which cost AUS$300 (US$200) and the increase in performance is remarkable. The biggest problem I had with the Mini in the past was the time taken to select tracks with the LD App, however, now with the SSD installed it is instantaneous and for me it greatly increases the ease and pleasure of use.

I now have a very compact "Jukebox" when combined with my Tidal account that I can easily travel with anywhere in the world and either enjoy my own music or explore for new songs on Tidal - fantastic product.

If you have a Mini and considering an upgrade I highly recommend inserting a SSD.

Is there any increase in sound quality, or just ease of access ?

Hi Misterdog,

Good question, which I can't answer accurately because I have to change back and forth from the internal storage SSD to the external storage HD and quite frankly I'm not inclined to go through the hassle.

What I can say is that the sound quality coming from the mini with an internal SSD into my Devialet 200 DAC is excellent. Whether or not it is better than via an external HD I could not really say as I don't have the resources to A/B quickly enough and also to do so blind. I know I am in the minority here but I see no point in testing equipment for sound quality unless it is a double blind A/B test. I do not trust myself, or anyone else for that matter, to do so without applying at least some personal expectation bias, otherwise companies such as Nike, Beats, Apple etc, who make extraordinary (excessive) profits would not pay outrages fees to "celebrities" with no little or no product knowledge to market their products.

I know part of the fun of our hobby is too look for incremental gains in sound quality for minimum outlay, however, for me life is too short but what I can say is that with an internal SSD I now have both excellent usability and sound from the mini. It is not a lot of money so best way to find out is to tip your own toe in the water.

All the best,

Ajax

• 1 year later...
On 16/01/2018 at 8:18 PM, Guido Del Giudice said:

I am thinking of putting a 2TB SSD inside the Aries Mini...does anyone have any experience of any sound differences between an internal SSD drive or using an external USB HD?

I am using the Aries Mini as a USB streamer only into my KEF LS50 wireless speakers.

I have an SBooster LPS powering the Aries mini.

Hi Guido,

I also have an Auarlic Mini with an SBooster power supply. I recently installed a 500G Samsung 850 Evo SSD that replaced a 2Tb external hard drive.

The Mini is connected via USB (i.e. digital out so I do not use the Mini's internal DAC) into a Devialet 220, which drives a pair of ATC SCM 19 large bookshelf speakers and a pair of SVS SB 2000 subs in stereo. I use the Devialet's internal DAC to cross over the subs at 65hz.

I only have part of my library installed on the SSD, about 10,000 songs, comprising a mixture of Hi Res (24/192 and 24/96) and Redbook. I purchased the Devialet because most of my library is Rebook and I was impressed with the quality of the playback.

I have not bothered doing a DBT, or switching back and forward between the external drive and the new SSD, but I can say that I am extremely happy with the sound quality I am getting from the Mini in this configuration. I can say with some confidence that the sound quality is at least no "worst" utilising the internal SSD drive. What does standout is that song loading and indexing is much faster with the SSD. The Lighting DS software is now more responsive and this has greatly improved my enjoyment of the system.

With the new 5.3 beta version now incorporating Spotify Connect my family will be able to stream to the several Mini devices I have (one for my main system, one in the kids area and one at the beach house that I share with my brother in law). I will continue to source my music from the SSD and also Tidal.

I get the impression from what I have read on this and other forums that the Sonore and SOtM could provide even better sound quality but I would think it must be marginal compared with my mini powered by a  separate LPS and utilising the Devialet's DAC, however, this is pure speculation on my part.

Because of the variety of sources now available on the Mini - Spotify Connect and Tidal, combined with my hi res music on the SSD, and controlling it all from my iPhone, I am going to be hard pressed to find a more versatile and compact piece of equipment that also sounds great and I will most likely stay with this configuration for the foreseeable future.

Finally, the Mini is inexpensive and is also ideal for travelling. I sometimes use the internal DAC and connect to a hotel's mini system or a friends hifi. A little bit of buggering around but once it is synced to the wifi it is a tremendous device. 

All the best,

Ajax