IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Hi all,

Can someone who's using Auralic's LPS tell me if it's dual voltage (I assume not)? Is anyone aware of a dual voltage linear power supply, or is that just not a thing?

I love the Mini - and the new LDS iPhone application is a big step forward - but like some others I'm finding the internal DAC a little harsh. I'm hoping a linear power supply will fix that.

Thanks, Austinpop. I'm actually looking for dual voltage, because I move countries once every few years (quite a life...). If there's no such thing as a good dual-voltage linear power supply, I might just pick up a Musical Paradise MP-D1 DAC and be done with it. I'm not enthusiastic about a higher box count, but that option is cheaper than buying two LPSs and could result in better sound anyway.

I love the Mini so far - the sound is open, detailed, and has a great sense of flow - but the top end edginess is irritating, and from what others have said I'm assuming the DAC is the culprit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I believe I succeeded in creating a network shared drive on Mac OSX and linking it to the Lightning DS server, per this article. Lightning DS says it successfully scanned about 15,000 music files.

But it isn't seeing the library correctly. When I click on any category (artist, albums, etc) it says "your music library is empty." When I click on "browse by folder," all the files appear to be there. But when I try to play a file, I get a pop up saying "music library is offline." Does anyone have advice for how to fix this?

Thanks!

Have you rescanned your music library?

In LDS in settings select your music library and hit the rescan button.

Apologies if you have already done this.

I just scanned the library for the first time, so I'm not sure what immediately rescanning it would accomplish. Here's an interesting data point: I did the initial library scan through the iPhone app, and could play anything because it said my library was "offline" despite showing all the tracks. When I move to the iPad, everything plays! There's no album art, but it's something. Progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Question here on upgrade priorities. I'm loving the Aries Mini, which I use as both streamer and DAC. At first there was quite a bit of edginess to the DAC, as others have reported, but things have smoothed out somewhat over the last month. I'd like to do one of two upgrades:

1. Buy an HDPlex linear power supply for the Aries Mini, which would also feed my turntable and phono stage.

2. Replace the stock vacuum tubes in my integrated amplifier (Concident Dynamo), which many people say has a major effect.

Thoughts on which of these to prioritize? My goal is to retain the incredible detail and speed I'm getting now while removing the last bit of edginess from the presentation. I don't want to do both upgrades right now.

Thanks for your advice!