IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Hi. Just got my mini today (after a long wait and a string of broken promises, hey ho).

Hooked it into my network, wired. My Lightning Android app can't even see the device. Is there a sequence I need to work through ?

Borrows my wife's iPad and downloading, see if that works better.

Nope.

Connecting to the Auralic WIFI is fine - gets the device ID, reads the details. Give it the password to the Lounge access point. IPad connects back to the home network, but then it can't see the Mini.

I guess my home network is a little more complex than most simply because of the age, shape and size of the house. The BT Home Hub 4 serves modem duties and is the DHCP - I keep it that way because BT always want to blame the router if it's not one of theirs. I have an ASUS D55 upstairs and a Netgear in the lounge. There's also a Netgear gigabit switch in the lounge but that's just a dumb device. The Mini is ethernet wired into the Gigabit switch so it shouldn't need the lounge wifi details.

It gives a message about "UDP SSDP Multicast" ? Googling tells me there's no option to enable that on the BT Home Hub 4.

I've tried connecting the ipad both to the HH4 and to the Netgear - nothing doing.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Partial success - followed by repeated tragic failures.

I found a setting on the ASUS under LAN - IPTV labelled "Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy)" and enabled that. I also renamed the 5GHz SSID unique from the 2.4 and ensured the IPAD was ONLY connecting to that. Went through the setup again, giving the Mini the new 5GHz SSID and login (even though it's wired) and hey presto - the app saw it ! It even recognised the USB connection to my SOTM DAC.

Unfortunately I have yet to get it to play anything. I've had about 30 attempts with various failures.

The Lightning App crashes at various points.

It has tried a few times to load the library of tracks on my NAS (about 2,000 of them) and the app usually crashes at around 60 to 70% (not consistent).

Restarting the app after a crash it will sometimes not see the device (10%) and the rest of the time not see the music library (90%). In both cases, selecting "Just Start Up" gets me to the main screen. From there I can go to the music library and try refreshing the cache, whereupon it usually crashes.

I bypassed the library and went to browse folders once and was able to see music files. First file I tried it couldn't play. Second file it tried, but no music and after about 40 seconds the app crashed anyway.

I also tried radio - was able to get a list of stations, but no sound.

Frankly I'm not in the mood to listen to music. I'll give it another go over the weekend, after which it's going back. I'm the geek/tinkerer of our household - lord knows the reaction if I ever gave this to my wife to play some music.

Your best bet would be to enlist Auralic support.

Are you sure your home network is a single logical subnet (I.e. all devices get an IP address in the same address range, for example 192.168.1.xxx, there is exactly one gateway and exactly one DHCP server)?

It sounds like your iPad and your Mini are not connecting to the same subnet, so they can't see each other.

But again, don't try to use the forum to debug, you may just get more misinformation.

To reiterate, contact support.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thanks Austin. Yes it's one subnet 192.168.0.xxx, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. There's one gateway, one DHCP server. See above, I managed to get a connection, but sadly couldn't make the app stay up for more then 30 seconds or so.

Lots of good advice here - thanks for that. I'll work my way through those.

I'd be happy to consider abandoning the NAS if necessary. I'd actually be keen to buy an SSD drive to install into the Mini. I'd consider MinimServer - I think it even supports my NAS (fairly old NetGear ReadyNas Duo). My concern is that I can't even get the ipad app to stay up for more than a minute at a time without crashing. Not gracefully, no errors, no logs, no clues as to the issues. If that was stable I'd have a bit more confidence to invest the time and effort, but right now out of the box it plain doesn't work. What's the point of buying a streamer, then having to put all the music on the box, but not even being confident that you'll be able to talk to it.

Still - step by step.

• 1 month later...