IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

I've had the Aries Mini for about 10 days now, and thought I'd share my impressions. I'm using it in a headphone rig, where it's intended to replace my trusty Squeezebox Touch.

Setup Description

Current:

Synology NAS running LMS -- wired Ethernet --> SB Touch -- S/PDIF --> Benchmark DAC1 HDR --> Sennheiser HD800

Synology NAS running LMS -- wired Ethernet --> SB Touch -- optical --> Marantz SA8004 SACD player -- analog --> Benchmark DAC1 HDR --> Sennheiser HD800

With Aries Mini:

Synology NAS running MinimServer -- wireless --> Aries Mini -- S/PDIF and analog --> Benchmark DAC1 HDR --> Sennheiser HD800

My objectives for the Aries Mini:

1. Confirm stutter-free streaming with 802.11ac wireless for 24/192 and DSD. These were big problems with the SBT, even with the Enhanced Digital Output (EDO), due to the bandwidth constraints of 802.11 b/g/n.
  2. Add a DSD DAC into my setup. The Marantz only supports DSD playing SACD discs, not streamed into its digital inputs.
  3. Evaluate whether the Aries Mini's DAC is "good enough" for the long haul, or whether I'll need to invest in a better DAC
  4. If the answer to 3. is yes, then evaluate the Benchmark as a pure headphone amp (since the HPA-2 amp contained in the DAC1 HDR has not changed in the newer DAC2 HGC).
  5. Evaluate the Lightning DS software for ease of use.

Burn in

The Aries Mini got about 100 hours of use before the audio evaluations below. My burn in wasn't scientific, because I got my HD800 headphones at the same time as the Aries Mini. I do know the combination sweetened up considerably over 100 hours, but I couldn't tell you how much was due to the Aries Mini, if any.

Impressions

In a nutshell, very positive! While the jury is still out on some of my objectives, overall I am really pleased with the Aries Mini, and recommend it very highly. Now let's look at each my objectives in turn.

Wireless streaming

One word: flawless! I do have a very good 802.11ac access point, but I never once had the Aries Mini stutter on all the 24/192 or DSD64 content I threw at it. I don't have DSD128 or DSD256 content, so cannot say how those will fare.

DLNA Renderer

Again: flawless. My initial setup with Lightning DS as the controller on an iPad went very smoothly, although granted - I am pretty handy with networks and computers. Also, connecting to my NAS MinimServer went without a hitch.

Audio Performance

Now for the fun part - how did it sound? I'll dispense with the no difference comparisons first.

Wired ethernet vs wireless: I heard absolutely no difference.

Streamer comparison with SB Touch: I heard no difference between both SBT and Aries Mini when feeding S/PDIF to my DAC1 HDR.

DAC comparison

I had on hand a 4x1 passive audio switcher, and 4 DACs to compare:

• Aries Mini
  • Benchmark DAC1 HDR
  • Marantz SA 8004
  • Oppo BDP-105D

I didn't bother to consider the built in DAC in the SBT, since I've never used it anyway.

A word about DAC comparisons. It's easy to forget when reading reviews of different audio products that the magnitude of audible differences differ greatly for different component types. For headphones (and speakers), the differences are obvious and profound. With electronics, much less so. Certainly, with DACs, differences are actually quite subtle, in my experience. Perhaps it's because modern DACs have gotten so good, but the differences between a $100 DAC and a $1000 DAC can be quite subtle, and requires critical listening to hear reliably.

My musical tastes are predominantly classical, but extend to some jazz and rock. I primarily used the following music for the impressions below:

1. Mahler Symphony No. 2 - Kaplan/Vienna (DSD)
  2. Buena Vista Social Club (24/96 ripped from DVD-A)
  3. Gorecki Symphony No. 3 - Gorecki/National Polish (DSD)
  4. Supertramp Crime of the Century (24/192 from Super HiRez)

So how did the Aries Mini fare? Very well indeed.

The Oppo 105D was the clear standout. It had a certain effortlessness and air between instruments, while retaining a stout bottom end. This player lives in my main rig, so this was the first time I had it hooked up to my headphone rig.

The Benchmark DAC1 has excellent resolution but had a thinner sound, with a slight tendency to brightness. It is perhaps showing its age, although it still did very well, particularly on classical music.

The Marantz has been coexisting with my Benchmark for a while now for a good reason - it has a seductive warmth, that comes at the price of some resolution. I found I preferred it with rock, or any music with electronic instruments.

The Aries Mini for me weighed in just below the Oppo, but it was very close. In some ways, it was the best of the Benchmark and the Marantz. While I wouldn't call it warm, it avoided the thinness I heard on the Benchmark, while having slightly better resolution than the Marantz.

A note about power supplies: I used the Aries Mini LPS. While I did not do any serious comparisons of power supplies - which is hard to do since switching requires a reboot of the Aries Mini - the LPS certainly makes a noticeable improvement, especially in the bass. Overall, the sound with the LPS has a solidity and weight that is lacking without it. Once I heard the difference, I never used the wall wart PS again. Is the LPS worth $299? Only you can decide. For me, I feel the answer is a strong yes.

Caveat: these are my subjective impressions, and as I said, DAC differences are really quite subtle. The other caution is that because of the subtleties, a slight difference in levels can skew impressions. My attempts to compensate for level was by ear, so by no means scientific.

Conclusions

Apologies for the length of this review. Overall, the Aries Mini exceeded my expectations, especially the performance of the DAC. While I'm sure it can be bettered, it is good enough that I plan to live with my current setup for a few months. After that, my suspicion is that I will be looking to improve my headphone amp before I consider a DAC upgrade (unless the two go together in a DAC/Amp, of course).

Comments and questions welcome.

Thanks, austinpop, for sharing your Aries Mini experience, and welcome to CA!

I'm also a new user of Aries Mini, though I've got a couple of Aries (Femto) for a while now. One thing I discovered that improves the sound of my Aries and Aries Mini is to use MinimServer/MinimStreamer to offload FLAC decoding from Aries. My music library consists of mostly Redbook and a bit of high-res encoded to FLAC. Making MinimStreamer do FLAC-to-WAV transcoding means the music data streaming over wireless is uncompressed PCM, which serves to reduce Aries processor workload, with better sound as the payoff. I've even tried streaming uncompressed DXD (24/352) over 802.11ac (5GHz) to Aries & Aries Mini, with no dropouts whatsoever, and the sound is better than streaming FLAC-encoded music. If you experiment with MinimStreamer doing FLAC-to-WAV transcoding, be aware a "Refresh Cache" in LDS is needed for the MinimServer music library, each time a transcoding setting change is made to MinimStreamer.

Interesting. I have heard this said before, but have never been motivated enough to try this. I am skeptical that offloading CPU cycles can have an audible impact, unless the CPU is pegged, but we have no way of looking at CPU utilization on the Aries Mini. But since I have not tried it, I'll keep an open mind.

I would probably first pre-convert some FLAC files to uncompressed PCM WAV files, and then A/B the two. Of course, next someone will tell me that FLAC files transcoded to WAV on the fly sound different than WAV files at rest. :)

Hello austinpop,

Thank you for your feedback.

Do you plan to test the potential improvment of a LPS upgrade (looks like it can improve DAC performance) ?

Do you mean the effect of an LPS vs no LPS? I do cover that in my write up. See

A note about power supplies.

if you meant comparing the Auralic LPS with others mentioned here, nah I don't plan to go down that path. However I will certainly be interested to hear others' experiences if they do.

Thanks Austinpop,

Can you do me (and my brother who has similar issues) a big favor and elaborate a bit on the parts you skipped over (the Lightning DS setup on your Ipad is where we are having major problems)?

I don't know what to tell you. As others have suggested, your best bet would be to call Auralic support. For me, the steps listed here (Connect ARIES MINI to a WiFi Network – AURALIC LIMITED) worked perfectly.

Also: running Synology with LMS. What is LMS?

LMS = Logitech Media Server. It's the media server required for the Squeezebox ecosystem.

Thirdly, it seems like those of you who are playing without problems, all have Minimserver installed on your Synology. What is it that Minimserver does, that DS Audiostation (from Synology) or Lightning Server (from Auralic) does not do?

I had already setup MinimServer before I got the Mini, so did not see the point of trying anything else. I was using it to serve audio content to my Oppo BDP-105D over the network.

I've never tried Synology Audiostation. I do remember why I stopped using the Synology Media center in favor of MinimServer:

• does not support native DSD streaming of .dsf and .dff files
  • takes forever to rebuild its indexes (rescan) when adding new content
  • MinimServer's reindexing is very fast - although it does require a reboot.

Yes that's correct. I did (and do) see the LMS that I still have running on my network, but to be honest, I was never enamored of LMS, so was only too happy to use MinimServer.

I don't really understand the UPnP issue you guys are referring to. If I can successfully connect to MinimServer, what "mode" am I using? And what am I losing due to a broken UPnP support? Just that I am constrained to Lightning DS and not any UPnP-compliant control app?

I'm sure there is much to learn here, but given that it's all working for me, I have to admit very little motivation to do so. ;)

Question.....How good is the dac in the Aries Mini?....is it good enough to be used as the main dac in ones highend system...

Answer.....No.

Jack,

This is just proof that each of us should use our ears to decide what's best for ourselves.

For me, the Mini was not at all as fatiguing (or indeed, headache-inducing) as it was for you. And my system was neither mediocre nor low end!

The way I look at it is that I can live with the Mini for a while until some higher-end components I have my eye on (like the Mytek Brooklyn DAC/Amp) are released and reviewed.

Sonore just announced their Sonic Orbiter SE at $300, with LPS. This renders the Aries Mini a paperweight: case closed. Took less than a month...

I guess it depends on what is important to you.

For me, the 802.11ac wifi in the Aries Mini is huge. The built in DAC is surprisingly nice.

And does the Orbiter really not have an S/PDIF output? DACs seem to be all over the map when it comes to"preferred" inputs, but it's usually either USB or SPDIF, rarely optical.

So I'll still prefer the Aries Mini.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

... The fact that its still not done after letting it run all night sounds more like a scalability issue... one of the compromises made in the Mini is less memory than the full size Aries so it could well be that the mini isn't suited to someone with a 10,000 + album collection.

This is a good hypothesis, but I would love to have someone who understands the implementation details to weigh in. The way I see it, the biggest scalability issue would be on the DMS (Media Server) that has to build and maintain the index (or catalog) - either in memory or disk. This catalog will certainly be proportional to library size, and could potentially grow quite large for a very large collection. However, this can be mitigated by running the DMS (like MinimServer) on a NAS or, if needing more resources, a computer - i.e. outside the Aries Mini.

What I'm not clear about is the memory requirements of the DMR/DMP (i.e. the Aries Mini) and the DMC (i.e. the Lightning DS app on the iPad). I can see these components having caches (for performance optimization), but I wouldn't expect any of these to be proportional to the full catalog on the DMS. Typically, the caches (assuming they use LRU or some other cache management strategy) can be capped at a size that the device can handle.

But since I didn't write the code, nor do I have access to the design, this is just speculation.

For the record, my library is ~10,000 tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

Your best bet would be to enlist Auralic support.

Are you sure your home network is a single logical subnet (I.e. all devices get an IP address in the same address range, for example 192.168.1.xxx, there is exactly one gateway and exactly one DHCP server)?

It sounds like your iPad and your Mini are not connecting to the same subnet, so they can't see each other.

But again, don't try to use the forum to debug, you may just get more misinformation.

To reiterate, contact support.

Thanks Austin. Yes it's one subnet 192.168.0.xxx, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. There's one gateway, one DHCP server. See above, I managed to get a connection, but sadly couldn't make the app stay up for more then 30 seconds or so.

Clearly there are use cases where the Mini has issues, as you're not the only one reporting them. Others have reported issues with large libraries. The only thing I can suggest is based on what has worked for me.

My thinking is based on the assumption that as a small standalone device, I expect the Aries Mini to have limited resources that I would prefer to have it devote to its core function - either as a DMR - i.e. a Renderer (if connected to an external DAC) or as a DMP - i.e. a Player (if using the internal DAC).

Specifically that means running the DMS - i.e. the Music Server off box. So what has worked for me (obviously YMMV):

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD]Physical location of music files[/TD]

[TD]Synology NAS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]DMS[/TD]

[TD]MinimServer[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Where DMS runs[/TD]

[TD]On NAS[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Library Size[/TD]

[TD]approx. 20,000 tracks[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Network type[/TD]

[TD]wireless 802.11ac[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You indicated your music lives on a NAS. I know running a DMS on a NAS can be a fiddly process. My suggestion would be to run the DMS of your choice (see Recommeded 3rd party UPnP server software – AURALIC LIMITED) on a computer and then have the Mini connect to this DMS when selecting music library.

If this works, you can then decide if you want to go through the extra effort of running the DMS on your NAS instead.

All this said, I do agree that since Auralic indicates Lightning Server (running on the Aries Mini) as the preferred DMS solution, these problems people are reporting is quite troubling.

So take what I suggested as an alternative way to get to where you want to be - listening to your music!

Anyone following the saga of MQA support on the Aries, LE, and Mini? Apparently they delayed release of MQA support at the last minute during CES, and issued a statement on their Facebook page.

I didn't buy the Mini for its MQA support, but am hoping it will work both with its internal DAC as well as downstream DACs.

Hi all,

Can someone who's using Auralic's LPS tell me if it's dual voltage (I assume not)? Is anyone aware of a dual voltage linear power supply, or is that just not a thing?

I have the Auralic Linear LPS, and it is indeed single voltage - mine is marked 120V.

Do you really need one that works from 100-240V, or do you want one that is available for your voltage? For example, a quick check of the SBooster here shows you can order the mains voltage and power plug of your choice.

Im thinking of getting a Aries mini and hooking into my oppo 105. What is the best connection for Hi Rez streaming? Thx

May I ask why you need an Aries Mini in this setup? The Oppo has a built in DLNA client and can pull files from the network both over DLNA and SMB. I have a 105-D and it works great.

Where the Oppo falls short is in passing through DSD to the digital outputs. It will only pass DSD out on HDMI, which is pretty limiting. Also, the wireless is 802.11n, not 802.11ac like the Aries Mini.

I must be missing something. Just curious...

• 4 weeks later...
My Aries Mini doesn't seem to let my NAS sleep, which is annoying. Anything I can do about this? I had the full size Aries and I don't remember it doing this, although I might be wrong.

My NAS (synology ds213) seems to auto sleep just fine. I don't remember doing anything special on the Mini.

So what you're seeing is not inherent to the Aries Mini's design. The only thing I can think that can cause what you're seeing - other than actual access to files due to playback or scanning - is some kind of library presence check, I.e. a heartbeat.

Beyond that it's hard to say. Have you contacted Auralic support?

Aries Mini owners, I hope you can answer a question for me. Can the Mini simultaneously output a signal from both the USB digital output and the analog outputs? Or is the user required to go into Lightning DS app and switch from USB to analog? (I've checked the online user manual, but I want to make sure.) Thank you.

Sadly only one or the other. I find this limitation annoying, but there it is.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You start by making sure that your DAC is self powered and not requires USB power. Then you buy one of this https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator. The Vbus2 cuts the power on your existing USB cable and reduces the capasitive coupling along the lenght of the USB cable. If everything works including handshake/hello you will enjoy a big jump in SQ. Good luck! :)

Next step will probably be a pure 3-wire USB cable without 5v power. Personally I will never ever buy a DAC that is USB powered or requires handshake/hello ever again.

If you are using the built in DAC this is not a tweak for you..

Ah very interesting! It would be interesting to try.

I do not know if the Codex required the 5V present. I'll have to investigate.