IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Hi jaaptina! I would do the install again as it was a new device. I had some issues on my first install that was solved by removing all cables from Aries Mini and DAC, wait 10 seconds and do a fresh install. I am using BubbleDS Next without problem!

🎛️  Audio System  

No, a renderer supporting OpenHome streaming does not follow that it also supports OpenHome Streaming Services (for Tidal & Qobuz). This is optional for OpenHome renderers:

http://wiki.openhome.org/wiki/OhMediaDevelopers#Streaming_Services

However, it is possible the Aries's firmware has been recently updated to support and use OpenHome Streaming Services, instead of its old proprietary mechanism, to access Tidal & Qobuz. It certainly was not the case a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I cannot varify this as I do not have access to an Aries.

Are you certain you are using your Aries in Lightning mode with the BubbleDS Next app to stream from Tidal or have you actually created an OpenHome renderer (with the BubbleUPnP Server software on a computer or NAS) for the Aries in uPnP mode and using that BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer with the BubbleDS Next app to stream from Tidal?

Hi Cebolla! I have read a lot of your posts and you have much better knowledge than me regarding Upnp/Dnla. No doubt! However, I know for sure Tidal is working in Aries Lighthing mode. I use the Mini without a server or hard drive installed. Just Mini>BubbleDS Next>Tidal and it works like a charm. I am planning to get a Qnap with BubbleUPNP server in the near future...but right now I am running Mini with Tidal straight out with BubbleDS Next on my Nexus 7 gen2.

🎛️  Audio System  

Fair enough. It is possible that the Aries's firmware has been recently updated to support OpenHome Streaming Services. Are you getting Tidal access with the Linn Kazoo app and the Aries too?

BTW, is your plan to use the BubbleUPnP Server on a QNAP for providing UPnP help to devices other than the Aries?

Yes, both Kazoo and Lighthing DS (v 3.3) works with Tidal via Aries Lighthing mode.

My plan with BubbleDS Server on Qnap is first of all versatility. To be able to use what ever control point possible (for example PC with Jplay/Fidelizer Pro/AO/Process Lasso...and maybe Roon IF possible...or the coming Foobar2000 mobile...or?). Second reason is to be able to put the music server away from my audio rig for better SQ.

🎛️  Audio System  

Cebolla and Cornan, thanks for the response. Before I used a Pioneer N-30 streamer that does Airplay and Qobuz flawlessly with Bubbleupnp and minimserver. But the N-30 it doesn't do gapless when using Bubbleupnp and I hope for better SQ with the Aries.

With the Aries I haven't tried Bubbleupnp OpenHome server yet. With choosing between 3 apps and 2 modes (upnp and lightning) its difficult to get a good start. I have got a Job INTegrated amp with internal dac. I seek to combine: Qobuz, Airplay (for my wife), Minimstreamer on a NAS (for me) and Android as controlpoint. This weekend I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

You are welcome jaaptina! Good luck with your setup! Do tell US what worked for you in the end so others with same issues can find answers on this thread later on! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

How do you "cut the 5V on the Mini?"

Sounds intriguing.

You start by making sure that your DAC is self powered and not requires USB power. Then you buy one of this https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator. The Vbus2 cuts the power on your existing USB cable and reduces the capasitive coupling along the lenght of the USB cable. If everything works including handshake/hello you will enjoy a big jump in SQ. Good luck! :)

Next step will probably be a pure 3-wire USB cable without 5v power. Personally I will never ever buy a DAC that is USB powered or requires handshake/hello ever again.

If you are using the built in DAC this is not a tweak for you..

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Jaap!

I assume Tidal and Qobuz works the same as well. Just select Aries as Linn DS and choose Cloud/Qobuz. Make sure to add Qobuz account details in BubbleDS Next under Settings/Local Media player.

If you cannot find Aries under lighthing I assume that you did'nt set it up with the same wifi that you are using. If you have both 2,4 & 5G make sure to choose 5G during the setup and when you are playing music.

🎛️  Audio System  

Have you done this that I posted earlier?

Be sure to click on the settings(cog wheel)/Lighthing Device/Aries to set it up as you want to use it. Cannot see that you did on your pics.

Plus added the Qobuz account details in BubbleDS Next?

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi Jaap! R

Just remember that I read something about Qobuz having changed to Amazon cloud and Bubble had an update for this. Make sure to update all Bubble products and maybe check if you should select Amazon cloud when playing Qobuz stream? Could be worth a try.

🎛️  Audio System  

I am thinking og buying a LPS for the Aries Mini. This comes to mind http://www.ebay.com/itm/100VA-15V-5-3A-Ultra-Low-Noise-LPS-HI-END-Linear-Power-Supply-for-Audio/141931279079?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36499%26meid%3D0f6109be3d8947dc8f7277317da148f6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D121931525894.

d688bbaaa9e7fd0f097904734ed33bf7.jpg

I have somewhat limited knowledge in siutable PSU for the Aries Mini and would appreciate if someone could comment if this will be a good choise or not? It looks very well made to these eyes. Also, is 15v/5.3A a good voltage/current choise?

/Micael

🎛️  Audio System  

Hi jaaptina! Sorry to hear that you still have'nt solved your issues completely. Just checking: under Local Media Server in BubbleDS Next. Is the box "Enable to browser and play local and cloud media to your render" ticked? I have this option checked. Qobus is not available in my country so unfortunately I cannot try it out to see If it works for me.

One more thing. Under Local Media Server in BubbleDS Next make sure to check under Qobus and Amazon Cloud drive that both are enabled (ticked). You might also want to tick "Use proxy" to force cloud streams.

🎛️  Audio System  

I have newbie question. I recently switched to an internal hard drive for my music. Setup and scan went ok. Now when I play an album....it plays about 30 seconds and then goes to the next song. I know it is user error...and probably something simple. But what am I doing/did to make this happen?

Thanks for any input.

I would personally setup the Aries Mini again. Everytime I remove power from my Mini I will have to set it up again for it to work smoothly.

🎛️  Audio System  

Hello Cornan,

Tried all your tips. But it won't work. It did help with sorting out other things out but not this.

Greetings,

Jaap

Hi jaaptina!

Well, I am out of suggestions. If you have a Qobuz premium account it should work. Have you tried to log off the Qobuz account in Lightning DS and log in again?

Anyway, somehow it feels like you have added the Qobuz through the Music Library instead of Streaming account...but I do not know if that is even possible?

🎛️  Audio System  

Yep...I that's what I did. I may try and format it and reinstall the files.

I am also going to delete the ap on my phone and reinstall it as well. After that I am running out of ideas.

Auralic support got back to me and they said to

*assign fixed IP for it and your iPad in your router

*find a clean wifi channel

I am not sure how to assign a fixed IP. My mini is connected via Ethernet...so I would assume its a clean wifi channel.

I would actually try to assign specific wifi channels in the router settings. After all you cannot use the tablet without wifi. I have done it and it is much more stabile with specific channel. If you router can show which channels that are occupied in your neighbourhood it will make it easy for you to choose wisely (ie. a unused channel). Otherwise your only option is trial and error. Good luck! :)

BTW. Make sure to choose 5G for wifi if available.

🎛️  Audio System  

Well I figured out it is not a player issue...but a file issue.

….but I know you guys know a lot aboutmusic files. I ripped my collection to a netgear ready NAS a couple of yearsago. The NAS was starting to die and the firmware was corrupted. I had acompany that was able back up the NAS to an external hard drive. The files all appear onthe hard drive. The problem I have is during playback a song will play 49-50seconds and then goes to the next song. It is like you are only previewing thesong. On the playback screen it shows the entire song times….it just neverfinishes a song. I am trying to recover these files without the labor ofreripping the entire collection.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

I will leave that issue to someone else to answer. I am not using Aries Mini for local files at all. I am all focused on bringing the best possible sound out of Tidal streaming only. If you want to know about that route please let me know.

🎛️  Audio System