IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

noob question...my Aries mini should arrive this week and am just wondering how I am going to set it up to play my FLAC collection.

I have the music sitting on a 3TB drive connected to my Mac in a different room to my Hi-Fi setup. I currently use the Mac with Audirvana and the 3TB external HDD to play through a headphone setup.

I want to play my music collection in a separate room on my main hi-fi using the Aries mini connected to a B.M.C. Puredac

Can I do the following?

-stream the files from my Mac to the Aries mini over my Wi-Fi network?

-Attach the 3TB drive to the USB input on the Aries mini?

Thanks guys!

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

Yes. You can do this a couple of ways:

• Share your drive from your Mac using file sharing. Make sure to select SMB. Then on the Aries Mini, you use the built in Lightning Server and point it to this share drive. In this config, the music server (Lightning) is running on your Mini
  • Alternately, you can run a UPnP/DLNA server (I like MinimServer) on your Mac, and once running, it broadcasts its presence on the network. Then, you connect to it from the Mini as a music library. In this case, the music server is not running on your Mini.

In both case, your Lightning DS app on your iOS device builds and maintains a local index.

• Yes, you can. This is the simplest and easiest case. Here again, your Mini runs Lightning Server on box.
  • Another variant is to actually take the raw SATA drive and put it in the Mini enclosure.

How much do you care about optimizing SQ (sound quality)? If SQ is paramount, then you should explore whether you hear differences. The prevailing consensus is:

• networked sounds better than direct attach
  • wired sounds better than wireless
  • Using a linear power supply (LPS) - either the Auralic, or others like the Sbooster - sounds better than the stock SMPS (switched mode power supply).

I always say to take these prevailing consensus views under advisement, but only pursue what makes sense for you, and verify findings with your own ears. Trust, but verify!

Thank you so much for a very concise and informative answer!

I will report back:)

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 

A question regarding power supplies...

I am using the USB output of the Mini into a B.M.C. Puredac

Would upgrading the Mini's power supply offer significant benefits using it in this configuration?

I would like to know before I spend another 300 Euros...:)

another question...what is the purpose of the DAC output delay option in the LDS software and should I enable it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Karin ... I just received the 15-16V Sbooster...it can be set at 15, 16 or 16,5V....what is ideal for the Aries Mini?

My mains voltage oscillates between 220V to sometime close to 200V at night....should I open the Sbooster and change it from the default 230V?

Thanks

@Karin ... I just received the 15-16V Sbooster...it can be set at 15, 16 or 16,5V....what is ideal for the Aries Mini?

My mains voltage oscillates between 220V to sometime close to 200V at night....should I open the Sbooster and change it from the default 230V?

Thanks

looks like 15V is the correct setting and I can leave it at 230VAC...

• 5 months later...

still really enjoying my Mini [with SBooster]  both from its DAC output and as a streamer into my BMC Puredac...

my only problem is the slight static I hear on the speakers when I use the Mini's internal DAC...could this be something to do with the external HD drive attached to it ?

I have tried changing cables etc...no difference

• 3 weeks later...

I am still having a problem with the Aries mini...

There is a slight background noise [like crackling and light static] coming through the speakers when no music is playing. This gets louder as I turn up the volume on the amp.

It only occurs when I use the internal DAC on the Mini.

It does not happen when I use an external USB DAC.

I have tried everything but nothing changes.

I have used a different power supply - sBooster LPS

I have used different RCA cables to the amp.

i have used different power cables, tried connecting to different wall outlets.

I have turned off the external HDD and listened to Tidal only

All of the above resulted in no change whatsoever which leads me to conclude that there is a problem with my unit.

It has done this from day 1 but I used it for a long time with an external DAC so it didn't bother me...now that I use it with its internal DAC the problem is there and noticeable...

Any suggestions?

5.0 beta firmware did not work for me...erased my entire library and had endless problems..I reverted back to 4.1.0

I have not tried optical but Auralic support reckons it is a problem with the analog output circuitry and it will probably have to go back for repair...dang!

• 7 months later...

I am thinking of putting a 2TB SSD inside the Aries Mini...does anyone have any experience of any sound differences between an internal SSD drive or using an external USB HD?

I am using the Aries Mini as a USB streamer only into my KEF LS50 wireless speakers.

I have an SBooster LPS powering the Aries mini.