IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

• 8 months later...

I have a pair of Dynaudio XEO 3 and I'm thinking about adding a mini to it. Is there another device that will work better for my setup? I have about 2TB of files on a macmini and I run minimserver, I use this for my NaimUniti 2 and it works well, and I stream Tidal HiFi.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this has been asked but instead of reading 45 pages I'll ask again in hopes I can get an answer. I just bought a used AAM and am wondering what you would recommend for an internal HDD? Thanks!

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Thanks for the replies. I'm really just wanting to use this as a way to keep one of my backups of my files. Can I use an external HD to connect to one of the USB inputs to play files?

Turns out minimserver had crashed I guess. Restarted that and it works. Haven't setup Lighting DS yet but will at some point. So far I'm liking the mini.

I'm setting up Lighting Server to use finally and it's taking forever to scan my files. Going on 24hrs but getting close to being done. I do have over 140,000 files stored on an external HD connected to my Mac mini and I don't think Auralic recommends this because of slow scan times. Think I'll make a copy to another external HD and connect to the AAM.

I believe that when lightning DS server is used it stores an index file on the source music drive and that you want the fastest means to read/write when scanning large library. If the external drive is USB 2.0 connected that will be pretty slow (~10mbps). USB 3.0 or Ethernet to internal SATA connected drive will be much faster (60-100 mbps).

Are you talking about external HD connected to Mac mini, AAM, or either?

Hopefully someone can help me out. I have scanned my files with Lighting Server and can see them in the Lighting DS app but I can't play them on my AAM. It says library is offline. I can play the files on my Uniti 2 while using Lighting a Server as my upnp. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, what is an AAM and does it support Open Home standard? Believe you need an OpenHome compatible control app with Lightning server

AAM is Auralic Aries Mini.

Any chance you are using 2.4 ghz wifi with Aries? I found the Aries mini better behaved on setup with wired Ethernet or 5ghz wifi when you exited the Lightning wifi spot to complete library setup. I'm suspecting that when you go through setup you complete the streamer setup but can't find the Aries from network in setup app to complete library initialization

No. Minimserver works as well as Tidal. Lighting server shows all files on Lighting DS and files play on my Uniti 2 with Lighting server.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about upgrading the rca interconnects that came with the Aries Mini. Nothing outrageous. Maybe something like the Morrow Audio MA2. Will changing these interconnects be an upgrade or waste of cash? Thoughts.

If you're asking if the Aries Mini has sufficient quality to benefit from better-quality interconnects - then yes, definitely!

Beyond that, it becomes a "which cable" discussion, and you can find those ad nauseum on this and other forums!

Thanks. You said it better than I did.

• 1 month later...

While using Tidal with my AAM Lightning DS is closing out when I try and play Arctic Monkeys. I can play that band with Tidal while using the Naim app on my Uniti 2 and I'm not having an issue with the AAM with any other band. Anyone else have this issue? Can someone else try it? TIA.

Hi I am using it in my 'main room' hifi - connected to Rega DAC and Naim amp. It is then connected via Ethernet to a Powerline adaptor to connect to my iMac in the study.

Have run the mini w/built in DAC into Naim to compare against the Rega? Just curious as I'm thinking about trading in my Uniti 2 on a SuperNait 2 and use the mini as my streamer for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
I found that having the mini on 5ghz wireless was far more stable than 2ghz, if I had other devices in same room on 2ghz wireless

How do I set it to 5ghz? Do I set my Airpoert Express to 5ghz as well or does it do it automatically or at all?

I was using a range extender that advertised separate Wifi connections (Network_5g, Network_2g). Suspect if you are using a wifi router that supports both you are already connecting at 5g as preferred. If the router is 2g only you would need a dual band wifi extender or a replacement wifi router that supports 5g wifi. Aries does recommend 5g if using wifi

Ok. In Airport utility it shows both 2.4 and 5ghz. It does show the Aries on 5ghz.

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

I am really enjoying my Auraliac Mini and find the lighting DS software adequate, if a bit limited in features.

The only real issue I am having is that when I do not use the unit for some time, and it goes into standby mode, my iPhone often reads "No Device", which I assume means that it cannot locate the Mini on the Lan, and I have to set it up again. Problem is that the "power light" on top of the rear of the unit stays white (even after I remove and replace the power cord) and it does not turn yellow and flash as required by the set up process.

My unit is "wired" directly to my ISP supplied modem / route in one situation and to an Apple Express acting as a wireless booster in another.

Anyone else having the same problem and if so have they found a solution or an explanation as to why the iPhone cannot sometimes locate the Mini. My situation is intermittent, making it more difficult to find a cause and also more frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ajax

I've had the same issue in the past. Hopefully I'm telling you correct as I'm a bit limited on knowledge when it comes to networks and such. What I've done is run my mini in wireless mode and connected via 5ghz. That seems to have corrected my issue.