IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Yikes. I'm not trying to be a cheapie, but $300 for a LPS just seemed a bit high. That said, I would pay for it if that option is the best one. I wonder if anyone else has had one of these DOA or explode on them? Thanks for the cautionary tale.

you could also look into the ham radio power supplies. the astron 11a puts out 13.8 volts and i believe is internally adjustable. have seen it recommended by some for audio use.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having good stability once I took my NAS out of play. Currently playing from internal ssd and switching to Tidal is instantaneous. Very nice. Oh, I'm also using an Astron SL-11A linear power supply that I adjusted to output 15 volts. Works great. I prefer the USB out to my ifi USB/spdif converter to the toslink from the Aries ever so slightly.

TIDAL Question - About how long does Auralic take to send back the TIDAL log-in information after you contact them? I set up my mini and sent them the required info last week and haven't heard anything.

I sent them an email this past Saturday and they gosentt me the code Monday morning. Activated it yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...
Guys, has anyone compared streaming from a NAS against using a SSD in the Aries, and noticed a difference in SQ?

More specifically, I'm streaming Tidal HiFi to an external Dac and I'm really pleased with the results. Tidal also has every CD I own (and likely to) ! so I see an opportunity to abandon all other digital sources for the sum of £20 a month.

But I can't help wondering that maybe there's the potential to squeeze a bit more SQ out if I use the SSD facility in the Aries to put all my CDs on ?

I know I can test this myself ! but would appreciate some opinion before risking £200 on a SSD.

I'm not sure if this is really just a general "Streaming vs Hard-drive" question, but either way I'd be grateful.

Thanks a lot, Steve

I've done both the internal SSD and minimserver from my mac mini. I feel streaming from the network provides more detail, but also perhaps a bit of thinness. Very subtle differences, if any really. I haven't reinstalled the SSD. I would say save the $280 unless you're experiencing some instability with the network setup.

• 3 weeks later...
I get disconnected from my aries mini (connected to a wireless access point by an Ethernet cable) about every other day, i.e., Lightning DS on my iphone does not see the mini, and then have to redo the set-up process to reconnect. Anybody else having this problem?

whenever this happens, i select the option to 'Just Start-Up' and My Aries will pop up after a few seconds

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, just wondering what people are using as an LPS for the Aries Mini? I am looking at buying one and I've narrowed it down to the Auralic LPS or SBooster BOTW w/ Ultra, just wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the two, I'll probably go with whichever one sounds better but the SBooster is almost twice the price as the Auralic LPS so I figured I'd ask.

As info, I am using the Aries Mini as a streamer with my NAS, output via USB to a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC and into my headphone amp.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

I'm using an Astron sl-11A

• 2 months later...
I am thinking og buying a LPS for the Aries Mini. This comes to mind 100VA 15V 5 3A Ultra Low Noise LPS Hi End Linear Power Supply for Audio | eBay

I have somewhat limited knowledge in siutable PSU for the Aries Mini and would appreciate if someone could comment if this will be a good choise or not? It looks very well made to these eyes. Also, is 15v/5.3A a good voltage/current choise?

/Micael

I have one of this seller's less expensive power supplies. It arrived DOA, but he did help me diagnose a faulty power switch. I had to brush up on my soldering skills to disassemble the unit, bypass the switch and then reassemble. It's powering a network switch. My mini is powered with an Astron SL-11A

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just read the front page review and figured i'd give lightning server another shot (i've been using minimserver running on my mac mini pretty much flawlessly). then i quickly remembered the whole "The" sorting issue. has there been any resolution with this? to be honest, my solution on minimserver wasn't 100% effective. is this just something that software engineers have a problem understanding - had the same issue with audirvana and it just seems like all comments regarding this simple issue fall on deaf ears.

• 1 month later...