IGNORED

Mac says I HAVE to upgrade to iTunes 12.2. I don't wanna. Solutions?

So I just upgraded my MacBook Pro from OS 10.7.4 to 10.7.5 (late-late adopter here). I figured it'd be about as minor an upgrade as possible. After, when I tried to launch iTunes, I got a message saying "File 'iTunes Library.itl' cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?" Software Upgrade only gives me the option of upgrading to iTunes 12.2.

I've been painstakingly building up my iTunes Library for a couple of years using version 10.6.3, and now I'm reading horror stories of how 12.2 mangles people's metadata and artwork, so I really don't want to use it. Does anyone know of a way I can continue to use 10.6.3 or at least some version between that and 12.2. Thanks very much.

-Bob

Welcome to the dictatorship that is Apple! Run as fast as possible away from iTunes is my best advice for you but I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear.

In any case, there are options but I suspect many would be considered more effort then it's worth to go down that path. I would say your best bet is to perform a good backup of your current settings then take the leap of faith. I would do a backup using some reliable neutral party software not tied to iTunes to be safe.

As an additional CYA maybe even rename your current good copy of the library and create another library folder and point iTunes to it before you upgrade. Afterwards, add a few albums to the new folder and observe how the new version behaves. If your satisfied with the outcome repoint the upgraded iTunes to your original library. If you've got the space for it, keep a copy of the original JIK.

I've used iTunes 10.x and 11.x on my playback systems from Snow Leopard thru Mavericks without a problem - you do not have to use 12.x and, indeed 12.2 has turned into a disaster for some users with metadata issues and DRM replacement of files with the switch from iTunes Match and Apple Music.

If you have your previous iTunes Library file, you can install that version of iTunes and it will work - if you don't have the old file in a backup, there are previous versions of your library stored in your iTunes Folder that can work.

Previous iTunes installers can be found here:

iTunes 12.2 Download for Mac / Old Versions / FileHorse.com

And this link has some useful info if you run into errors with the older version:

Resolved - iTunes Error -42408 - First real solution gets cookie. Solved - Cookie Redeemed | MacRumors Forums

Michael

Thanks a million for your replies. New Media, I'm glad 12.2 worked for you. Perhaps it would turn out okay for me. I don't plan to use iTunes Match, Apple Music or iCloud.

Unfortunately, I'm such a tech dumbass that much of your comments go over my head. One thing I don't understand are suggestions to download other versions of iTunes since I already have 10.6.3 installed on my internal hard drive (I click "Get Info" on the iTunes icon, and it says "10.6.3").

If you have your previous iTunes Library file, you can install that version of iTunes and it will work - if you don't have the old file in a backup, there are previous versions of your library stored in your iTunes Folder that can work.

Thanks, Michael. I'm going to try to attach a screen shot showing my iTunes folder on my internal hard drive (left) and on my external backup (right). I'm not sure I understand how to do what you suggest, but perhaps with your suggestion and some Googling, I'll be able to figure it out. Again, thank you so much!

-Bob

Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 9.28.50 PM.png

Ideally, your replacing your current iTunes Library with the most recent library before the update - that way you get back to a point very close to where you want to be. By the look of your screen shots, the "previous" libraries that iTunes maintained are from 2012 so some of your recent info will be missing. You can still use these older libraries to go back to iTunes 10.6.3 (btw, 10.7 is the best of the iTunes 10.x generation), but you might have to reimport some of your music and redo metadata - the music files are still there.

Ideally, you have incremental backups like Time Machine to get a file as close to the update as possible.

The way this is done: move the current iTunes Library.it file to the trash, replace it with the most current previous .itl file after renaming it to remove the date, then launch iTunes 10.6.x

Michael

Again, Michael, thanks so much.

I think I grasp what you're saying, BUT, as can be seen in my screen shot, the latest previous library version I have is dated 2012. 2012 is when I STARTED using iTunes! For the past two to three years, I've been adding ripped CDs, vinyl and downloading music to my iTunes. I don't understand why the latest previous library version I have is so old. I'm afraid that if I use that latest previous library as my current library, I'll lose everything I've added to iTunes. Perhaps biting the bullet and going to 12.2 is what I will have to do. THANK YOU.

-Bob

But to be fair this sounds scary; http://www.macworld.com/article/2943723/why-you-might-not-want-to-upgrade-to-itunes-12-2.html

I just checked in Audirvana plus, where you can sort by "last modified", and it seems that none of my tracks where modified post installation of 12.2, but again, if you use iTunes match, situation may be quite different.

Well, I think I may have solved it. I just renamed "iTunes Library.itl" as "iTunes Library.old." My old iTunes 10.6.3 opened, but I had to add my iTunes Music file, and it really looks (and sounds) like everything is back to normal. Artwork is in place and everything. Of course, doing this might have screwed things up in other ways I have yet to discover! In any case, I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. If anyone has any warnings that I might have messed up something I don't know about, I'd be glad to know it. THANK YOU!

-Bob

P.S. I went with the simplest solution I could find anywhere: iTunes cannot be read because it was created by a newer version

Yes, Micheal, I'll hold off for a while, too. The thing is, from reading the various discussions, I'm not 100% clear that the 12.2 problem only occurs when using Apple Music, iTunes Match and/or iCloud. So even though I have no plans on using any of those, I'll sit for a while. Thanks again,

-Bob

Metadata and interface concerns aside, my biggest worry is that with Apple Music DRM is once again part of the iTunes ecosystem. Maybe makes sense when it comes to Apple Music, but the reports of users-own iTunes Match tracks being downloaded with DRM is troublesome.

Sticking with Beats for now -

Michael

An article and lengthy discussion to the contrary, although by no means universal:

The Real Difference Between iTunes Match and iCloud Music Library: DRM | Kirkville

As in the previous referenced article, the file you download from Apple if your original drm-free copy on your device has been deleted, will contain drm.

Sitting this one out until we all know for sure...

Michael

Better safe than sorry is rarely a bad move.

if this is superfluous, my apologies---it's the most recent link (originated two days ago) from a particular google search.

How Apple Music and the iCloud Music Library work with iTunes Match

Nice explanation. That's probably why I didn't run into any issues, my library is by far too large for ITunes Match, so I never activated any cloud services.

I tried with an album I just ripped on Wednesday. When I deleted the original files and downloaded them from Match in 12.2, I did indeed get files with DRM. I think that it's just a bug they are working out though, because I was able to download the same files without DRM on my laptop running an older version of iTunes.

I tried deleting and downloading some older files in 12.2, and those files do not have DRM.

I tried with an album I just ripped on Wednesday. When I deleted the original files and downloaded them from Match in 12.2, I did indeed get files with DRM. I think that it's just a bug they are working out though, because I was able to download the same files without DRM on my laptop running an older version of iTunes.

I tried deleting and downloading some older files in 12.2, and those files do not have DRM.

Thanks. I'm primarily concerned with the reports of 12.2 butchering metadata and artwork. It sounds like this hasn't been a problem for you, though, which is good news!

-Bob