IGNORED

Recommendation on a streaming receiver

I've just moved my main system out of the living room.

So the living room needs a modest system for music and movies. Can anyone suggest a receiver that will stream 24/192 (preferably ALAC; this can be Wifi or wired ethernet), supports Spotify or similar, connect to the TV and PS3 either over HDMI or Toslink/Coax, and drive a basic pair of speakers (Monitor Audio Bronze, Focal Chorus, PSB).

I'm also open to a streamer that can connect to something like an NAD D3020. (Apple TV?)

I don't need multi-channel.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

While you say you don't need multi-channel; something like a Marantz NR or SR series av receiver would suit perfectly.

The NR1504 is the outgoing model I would recommend or there is a NR1604 coming soon.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

While you say you don't need multi-channel; something like a Marantz NR or SR series av receiver would suit perfectly.

The NR1504 is the outgoing model I would recommend or there is a NR1604 coming soon.

The NR1604 is the precursor to the NR1504. Min difference is 5.1 vs 7.1 and the ability to use the extra two channels for another zone.

The new models are the NR1606 and NR1506.

David

The NR1604 is the precursor to the NR1504. Min difference is 5.1 vs 7.1 and the ability to use the extra two channels for another zone.

The new models are the NR1606 and NR1506.

Thank you for the correction... I wrote the wrong thing there.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I had the 1504 and my brother the 1604. I can attest that both are great performing receivers and sound pretty darn good to boot!

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

The Pioneer receivers do all of that. I've got an 1124. Got it for DSD, Spotify connect, AirPlay, and pre outs for my active speakers. It was the least expensive one I saw at the time that had all of those features. Pretty sure it's really cheap now. Do think the ALAC playback tops out at 96Khz though. That's plenty for me. Think HT receivers are probably the best streamers available these days.

Thanks, everyone.

I checked the Marantz on Amazon - some reviews were pretty critical of the user interface/software.

How has your experience been?

There's lots of comments on the Marantz app in other threads here ... Generally quite good but there are other better apps.

On the plus side you can use things like J.River with JRemote, or install BubbleUPnPServer and use Kazoo, Lumin, etc.

Eloise

---

Thanks, everyone.

I checked the Marantz on Amazon - some reviews were pretty critical of the user interface/software.

How has your experience been?

The Marantz app is quite good, but I soon got frustrated with it and substituted Bubble Upnp instead, it is much better.

The Marantz app works, but is a little basic for large libraries, but it certainly works well enough it is just basic.

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.