IGNORED

Got a Mac Mini question.

My Mini has died; suddenly, and with no warning. I have it set to shut down every night at a certain time, and to boot itself up the next AM, also at a preset time. Night before last I decided that I needed to send an E-mail before retiring and turned on my monitor just in time to see the Mini shut itself down at the appointed time. So, I went to reboot it using the button on the rear. Nothing. The next morning, when it was supposed to boot itself, it failed to do so. There is AC power to the computer.

Has anyone seen a Mini do this? If so, does anyone know what is causing it? Thanks

George

What is the make and model? Check on the Apple forums or website to find out if there is a recall or anything like that. Sometimes these are known issues that lead to a free repair.

Do you see anything on the screen when you go to start it up, or is it just completely unresponsive? Do you here the characteristic startup chime?

Hi George:

You need to reset the SMC (system management controller).

Unplug the power cord and ALL other cords from the mini (including display).

Wait fifteen seconds.

Attach the power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Hope that does it for you.

Best,

Alex

Hi George:

You need to reset the SMC (system management controller).

Unplug the power cord and ALL other cords from the mini (including display).

Wait fifteen seconds.

Attach the power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Hope that does it for you.

Best,

Alex

I ran into this when helping someone else with an older vintage mac mini. I recall waiting longer than 15 seconds.... but my memory is foggy.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

What is the make and model? Check on the Apple forums or website to find out if there is a recall or anything like that. Sometimes these are known issues that lead to a free repair.

Do you see anything on the screen when you go to start it up, or is it just completely unresponsive? Do you here the characteristic startup chime?

No. It's completely dead. No chime, not a glimmer from the little green LED on the front. NOTHING. I took it to the Apple store on Saturday (they were open on July 4. Amazing) and the Genius Bar confirmed my diagnosis of a dead PSu. I was going to order a replacement on E-bay, and install it myself. I've been working on electronics all my life, and have built a number of PCs in my time. But after watching a You-Tube video about how to swap out a Mini's power supply, I decided to let Apple do it. Their work and parts are guaranteed. Neither an E-Bay sourced PSu nor my workmanship is guaranteed for even a minute, so I swallowed hard, and gave the computer to Apple. It only costs $106 to have it fixed by them and they promised it would be back by Wednesday (7/8), so what the hell.

Thanks you all for your recommendations and help.

George