IGNORED

wireless USB receiver/transmitter?

To get computer audio from my MacBook iTunes to my hifi system I've been using an Airport Express into the DAC on a preamp, which also had a USB input if I wanted a better sound.

I now have a Cary Audio SACD 306 pro which apparently has a pretty good built in DAC.

Problem for me is that it only has toslink, coaxial or AES/EBU input jacks. Don't think I can go from the Airport Express to these inputs, not sure the quality is that great anyway with Airport, jitter?

Is there a simple solution that would allow me to stream over my wifi or connect a USB cable from my MacBook Pro to the Cary DAC?

It doesn't seem wise to add yet another DAC in the chain if connecting to the Cary SACD and I don't have budget to purchase a new DAC that would be comparable to the Cary's and handle streaming (would like to keep under $1k).

Hoping for a simple solution that provides good audio quality.

Thanks for the help.

You can go Airport Express into a TOSLink input. You just need a cable similar to...

Forest_opti_t-m_xs.jpg

Alternatively, how close is your MacBook to the Cary? Could you use a USB to SPDIF converter and wired connection?

Finally you could consider something like using a Raspberry Pi (as described here -- Computer Audiophile - Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here ) or just inside your $1k budget you could get the Auralic Aries LE.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Great, thanks. That's just what I was looking for.

A follow up question on the toslink: I think the Airport Express requires a "mini" toslink? Is there a difference between a toslink designated as "mini" and one that is not? Not sure if it's just the cable length.....

If you're referring to the Aries's support of AirPlay, not much is officially known. It apparently doesn't support AirPlay's sync mechanism. So, for example, control from iTunes may be a bit sluggish and videos played on an iDevice won't be lip-synced. See:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/alternatives-aries-23864/index4.html#post411414

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox