What do you think about Apple Music?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So- what does everyone thing about Apple Music?

Me, I am pretty pleased with it, though it was aggravating for a day or two, until I figured out how to turn off what I didn't want, like Connect, and find a thing or two that went missing. Like all my music in iTunes Match, but fortunately, that was pretty easy to find.

Apple Music seems to have some of the better features of Roon, as in Connect, which is interesting. But best of all, I can't hear a difference in the streamed AAC256, and the streamed 16/44.1K format from Tidal. There was a glitch or two with Apple Music at the start, and of course, the usual crew of Apple haters in the press have been taking potshots at it.

But all in all - I like it. A lot.

What do you think?

-Paul

P.S. For anyone, like me, who really wants to turn off Connect, it is easy to do, but it is not where you expect it to be on your iPhone or iPad!

Go to General -> Settings -> Restrictions

(if you don't have any restrictions, you will need to turn this on and assign a passcode.)

Apple Music Connect is in the list of things you can turn off or otherwise restrict. -PR

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I think it's great - I've said all along that once Apple got it's stuff together and began streaming all that content, not sure I see a reason for the other services :/

That said, I still wish they'd offer a lossless streaming service for those who want it, and 24/96 downloads for those who want to buy instead of stream. Maybe some day.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

But best of all, I can't hear a difference in the streamed AAC256, and the streamed 16/44.1K format from Tidal.

Now that's interesting. I haven't tried listening to it on my main system yet, only on my earbuds when commuting (free streaming with TMobile!) I like it a lot, too. But I also like Beats and their curation. I like the Beats 1 radio, too. already found a new artist I like through it.

Just a quick update: streaming has been flawless so far, no dropouts, etc.

Today I was able to listen to an album I've been wanting to hear for some time, but was not available on *either* Qobuz or TIDAL: Kirill Gerstein's recent recording of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 and Prokofiev #2. Not to say iTunes will *always* have more / more diverse selection, but a good sign for me.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Can I ask a supplemental question - how are you accessing and playing back Apple Music. Via an iPhone or iPad and then headphone or a connection to another system? (How?) Or via iTunes and connection to DAC, etc?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Can I ask a supplemental question - how are you accessing and playing back Apple Music. Via an iPhone or iPad and then headphone or a connection to another system? (How?) Or via iTunes and connection to DAC, etc?

My current setup is via iTunes on my MacBook Pro, which is connected via USB to my DAC (the "Headphone" setup in my signature); i.e., just like any other player.

Two notes:

1. iTunes still does not support "exclusive" mode, so you have to be careful about listening and surfing at the same time if you allow inline videos, etc., on web pages to play automatically
  2. iTunes will not automatically change the sampling rate in OS X's "Audio MIDI Setup", so you need to set it to 16/44 before beginning playback, if you're fussy about that sort of thing

I like it. They need to have their whole catalog on it though. Quite few empty spaces yet.

If they can make the Remote app work like Spotify Connect and make the purchases at LEAST 16/44 (preferably 24/96) then they'd really have something.

They have made a number of recommendations already that I have really liked so I expect to keep it and ditch Spotify as my streaming choice. It, along with TuneIn radio and vinyl feels like my way forward at this point.

David

So far I like it but a bit more time with the service should be telling. Right now I'm streaming from my iPhone 6 with an AirPlay connection to my main audio system via Airfoil Speakers .. works flawlessly and sounds quite nice I must say. BTW, my Airfoil prefs include using Amarra sQ as the output device.

I like it. They need to have their whole catalog on it though. Quite few empty spaces yet.

If they can make the Remote app work like Spotify Connect and make the purchases at LEAST 16/44 (preferably 24/96) then they'd really have something.

They have made a number of recommendations already that I have really liked so I expect to keep it and ditch Spotify as my streaming choice. It, along with TuneIn radio and vinyl feels like my way forward at this point.

I agree with you except I like Apple Remote better than Spotify. ;)

The one thing griping me right now is that I am unwilling to upgrade my main system to use it. Even though I do have backups of my carefully curated music collection, I just don't like the idea of anything mucking with it. Also, I have heard some of the iTunes Match files may get replaced with DRM infested files, instead of the pristine versions I uploaded. Enough to give a man a headache!

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I agree with you except I like Apple Remote better than Spotify. ;)

The one thing griping me right now is that I am unwilling to upgrade my main system to use it. Even though I do have backups of my carefully curated music collection, I just don't like the idea of anything mucking with it. Also, I have heard some of the iTunes Match files may get replaced with DRM infested files, instead of the pristine versions I uploaded. Enough to give a man a headache!

-Paul

You must have a different remote app than I do. I of course think it's adequate for running iTunes but getting into all the feTures that Music now has makes it a non starter for me. Give me jremote for controlling my library and Spotify Connect for streaming.

David

You must have a different remote app than I do. I of course think it's adequate for running iTunes but getting into all the feTures that Music now has makes it a non starter for me. Give me jremote for controlling my library and Spotify Connect for streaming.

I meant I like it better than Spotify. JRemote still holds the crown for best of the remote apps to my way of thinking.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

• 1 year later...

[video=youtube;P25v--BKEXQ]

Listen anywhere—even offline. Over 40 million songs. Thousands of handpicked playlists. Exclusive music and video premieres. Shows from the best artists and DJs on Beats 1, radio live or on demand, and more. New members get three months free.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

I gave you nothing. You speak but for yourself in a public space. Your history of enmity towards me is a waste...

Given the popularity of this thread, and the 40 million LOSSY songs, the judgement on Apple music is self evident. No you-tube videos needed, nuff said.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Don't use it -- use Tidal. Works great with Minimserver/Bubbleupnp/Linn Kazoo.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Pricing was a factor for me. Apple has the "family" deal of $15/mo for 6 users (each user up to 3 devices). So it's a pretty good deal.

I can finally "share" the Grateful Dead with my little nephews and nieces. Never too young to start listening to the Dead :-)

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

• 2 weeks later...
Given the popularity of this thread, and the 40 million LOSSY songs, the judgement on Apple music is self evident. No you-tube videos needed, nuff said.
As of September 2016, Apple Music is reported to have at least 17 million subscribers. To date, just 47 of them have voted here.