IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Optimizer Raises The Bar

I think there are many of us in the same boat. I am on the sidelines eagerly waiting for W10 and AO for W10. One thing that Chris did not touch on that I think is of note is tighter integration between AO and Process Lasso.

Process Lasso is relatively new here and not many adopters yet. I have been using it and I find it really worthwhile. It does helps to have an understanding of what is going on under the computer hood for best results IMO. There are automatic settings and Jeremy the author in concert with Phil are working on more audio related documentation which will help with implementation. Good Stuff. :)

CA Forum has just jumped up several notches for me as a respected site for some real world discussions on CA based playback after this review.

Great to see we have finally broken through this perceived glass ceiling which has been dogging software based discussions here for some time.

I expect there will be some backlash now from the bits are bits crew but bring it on and the future will reveal all.

AO is a must in any serious music playback chain built around windows on a PC or dare I say it on a dual PC setup (Double AO power) even better!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

CA Forum has just jumped up several notches for me as a respected site for some real world discussions on CA based playback after this review.

Great to see we have finally broken through this perceived glass ceiling which has been dogging software based discussions here for some time.

I expect there will be some backlash now from the bits are bits crew but bring it on and the future will reveal all.

AO is a must in any serious music playback chain built around windows on a PC or dare I say it on a dual PC setup (Double AO power) even better!!

+1.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Kudos to you, Chris, for being open minded enough to finally try AO. Now you have experienced what we are all raving about. I knew very little about computers when I started and Phil's patience and support helping me setup were beyond anything I ever experienced before. Audiophile Optimizer and AudioPhil get my very highest customer satisfaction rating.

..............I won't spoil my nice post by saying anything about the "J" controversy..........maybe you can try that one too!

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

sligolad

+1.

+2!

Very happy to see Chris do a review like this.

Just wait until you here Windows 2012 Server R2/AO 1.31/JPLAY 6.1/Bug Head Infinity Blade SQ / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso!

6 pieces of software to listen to music? Doesn't that seem a little absurd, even for hardcore tweakers? It's things like these that make me wonder if listening to music is some peoples goal or just messing around with their computer! I don't mind minor tweaking but give me something like the forthcoming Aries Mini and I am happy listening to music!

I am looking forward to AO for Windows 10 too!

Jim

Chris, I understand you usually don't like to do comparisons, but are you unequivocally saying that this setup sounded better than the Lumin, the Aurender servers, the Aries, the various CAPS servers and ARM-based Linux servers and renderers you have built, and any CD player you have ever heard? How much do you think this could have been attributed to the hardware of the server or the other components? Have you tested AO in your home system and done similar comparisons yet?

This site is turning into a snake oil pusher. Taken from the Optimisers website. Anyone who is endorsing Jplay cannot be trusted as Jp[lay is a complete joke

" Does not need JPLAY, but works exceptionally well together with it"

Three of us, with decades of listening to various systems, including one of the world's leading audio engineers, listened to Jplay 5 vs. JRiver 19. We might have been doubters before but it was night and day obvious by listening to the same track that Jplay made things so much better: more detail, more bloom, bigger soundstage...

MG555

Chris, I understand you usually don't like to do comparisons, but are you unequivocally saying that this setup sounded better than the Lumin, the Aurender servers, the Aries, the various CAPS servers and ARM-based Linux servers and renderers you have built, and any CD player you have ever heard? How much do you think this could have been attributed to the hardware of the server or the other components? Have you tested AO in your home system and done similar comparisons yet?

+1

Three of us, with decades of listening to various systems, including one of the world's leading audio engineers, listened to Jplay 5 vs. JRiver 19. We might have been doubters before but it was night and day obvious by listening to the same track that Jplay made things so much better: more detail, more bloom, bigger soundstage...

Be Aware that the lastest version Jriver nowadays is 20.0.115. LoL

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

I notice that SSD drives have been used for music storage on the reviewed mystery system running Audiophile Optimiser. I've heard it being said that SSD drives do a lot of data optimisation in the background and that it can affect sound quality. The recommendation was to use conventional HDD instead. Chris (and others), is it true? If so, does the OA stops data optimization of the SSD drive to improve sound?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

6 pieces of software to listen to music? Doesn't that seem a little absurd, even for hardcore tweakers? It's things like these that make me wonder if listening to music is some peoples goal or just messing around with their computer! I don't mind minor tweaking but give me something like the forthcoming Aries Mini and I am happy listening to music!

I am looking forward to AO for Windows 10 too!

Windows 2012 Server R2: Server OS

AO 1.31: Server OS Tweaker for audio

JPLAY 6.1: Dedicated Audiophile output system

Bug Head Infinity Blade SQ: Audiophile Player

Fidelizer Pro: Windows Audio engine optimizer

Process Lasso: Process manipulation tool

I don't think it looks absurd. They're six different kinds of software. Not a single one of them having duplicated functions. It'd be absurd if he uses the same kind of software.

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

Windows 2012 Server R2: Server OS

AO 1.31: Server OS Tweaker for audio

JPLAY 6.1: Dedicated Audiophile output system

Bug Head Infinity Blade SQ: Audiophile Player

Fidelizer Pro: Windows Audio engine optimizer

Process Lasso: Process manipulation tool

I don't think it looks absurd. They're six different kinds of software. Not a single one of them having duplicated functions. It'd be absurd if he uses the same kind of software.

Personally, I am from the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) school of thought and for me OS + AO + HQPlayer would be enough. I am past the age where fiddling with my computer is a big interest (it is an interest, but much smaller now!) but I don't knock that you might enjoy it!

Jim

Personally, I am from the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) school of thought and for me OS + AO + HQPlayer would be enough. I am past the age where fiddling with my computer is a big interest (it is an interest, but much smaller now!) but I don't knock that you might enjoy it!

Real KISS is one decent OS and one decent player meaning you shall not touch AO as well as that won't be anywhere near simple. But each person's enough is different. Generally, most people would find one decent player and few more enhancement tools suiting their needs.

From my opinion, going little extra miles for JPLAY/Fidelizer doesn't look like much work after AO. AO is the biggest step among them making all others look trivial. Process Lasso maybe some what power user stuff but I don't see how adding JPLAY/Fidelizer would sound absurd except for a few people with limited budget. But hey, that works too comparing to paying for more expensive audiophile cables.

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

Good morning

Sure, it always worked on Mac. All you need is a newer model with Intel CPU and "bootcamp" to get Windows Serve 2012 R2 running on a Mac.

Firedancer Unleashed!: Windows Server 2012 R2 on MacBook Pro

Enjoy,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Chris, when you did "A/B testing" with a (I am presuming ?identical / similar spec'd) Win 7 machine ...was it blinded? If not blinded, sorry but I don't put much weight in this.... Expectation bias is a hugely powerful phenomenon and anyone in our audiophile hobby who thinks they are immune is being foolish (or naive..or arrogant).

This is exactly the scenario that could of be tested blinded as you have the resources at hand that most of us don't: 2 computers one "tweaked", one not. Even 20 trials would perhaps only take an hour.

Setup playlists on both machines, then a random blinded switching of the source etc (for example) by a 3rd party.

If the difference is as obvious as reported "the sonic differences were easily apparent" - should obviously still be there if you (or your colleague) don't know which machine is connected to your DAC. I would be very, very interested in the outcome.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

"This week I heard the best digital playback I’ve ever heard. Period."

How much clearer do you guys want it? :)

Well is doesn't make sense that all the purpose built music servers are suddenly outperformed by an old fashioned computer with all of it's supposed problems with noise and jitter etc.

Well is doesn't make sense that all the purpose built music servers are suddenly outperformed by an old fashioned computer with all of it's supposed problems with noise and jitter etc.

Where did you read noisy old fashioned computer? I must have missed that...

Really though is to much to expect a genuine comparison of products in the same system?

I am guessing that the majority of us have to settle on a single source based at least partly on many of the comments we read here.

Has Chris listened to this system, probably at a dealers, consisting of Constelation electronics and Magico speakers before? Compared an of the shelf Aurender, or other server, or CAPS etc on this very system?

I am not being critical of the review, I want to read more, but do I buy an Aurender or try this approach, which seems at at least a little difficult to implement?

The audio market is an open playing field, why is it seemingly politically incorrect to simply state that in system A product XYZ was better?