IGNORED

JRMC 20.0.116 on Mac

Is it just me or are there tons of issues with this app?

A few things I'm having trouble with:

1- Custom views - especially for playlists

2- Handheld device syncing - Doesn't erase files not on the sync list

3- Stability issues - app crashes / freezes permanently often

Is it just me?

NUC10i7 + ROCK > dCS Rossini Apex DAC + dCS Rossini Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V 9” + Dynavector XV-1s > vdH The Grail

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

No it's not just you. I think it should still be a beta and we shouldn't have to pay yearly just to get the latest bug fixes.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

No it's not just you. I think it should still be a beta and we shouldn't have to pay yearly just to get the latest bug fixes.

Does the Windows version not have such issues?

And if so has anyone run the Windows version with Crossover on mac? Some other way?

Thx.

system pics

I have a master license and run JRMC Windows with Parallels on my iMac. I also run it on JRMC MacOS on the mac side.

I can definitely say that the Windows version is rock solid stable by comparison to the Mac. Furthermore, the Mac implementation does not behave or feel like a Mac app. Basic MacOS features such as full screen do not work and apps such as KeyQue have needed special workarounds to avoid some of the JRMC Mac OS implementations.

This is an excerpt I received in an email from an experienced MacOS developer:

I wonder why the hell they used a custom menu implementation. It simply does not work as expected:

• The appearance does not follow the Apple standard.
  • Tracking of open menus does not work.
  • Visual feedback is missing (open menus as well as keyboard shortcut feedback).
  • Keyboard shortcuts are misaligned and use an unusual notation.
  • Horizontal position of open menus is incorrect.
  • Tracking of submenus does not work as expected.
  • Last not least, accessibility functions do not work (which causes the incompatibility with KeyCue).

If they had simply used Apple's default implementation (instead of re-implementing the menus), they would now have standard menus that work as expected, and that without any additional work.

In addition to all these menu-related issues, the Media Center application has a separate application with the same icon, which constantly appears and disappears in the Dock, causing all Dock icons to wiggle (see the attached mini movie).

Furthermore Media Center is a CPU hog. While I had it running, it consumed 40% of the available CPU power, even when I did nothing with it (just had it running in the background). I'm glad I could uninstall it again.

I notified JR of this and they would not acknowledge that they had a problem.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Does the Windows version not have such issues?

And if so has anyone run the Windows version with Crossover on mac? Some other way?

Thx.

Windows version is pretty rock solid. Every now and then they squeek a bug in but they get squashed quickly.

That said I've moved to roon for my main system. Only use the OSX version of JRMC at work now. Once roon implements offline playback I'll move to roon at work as well.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Have you updated to the latest version?

I have 20.0.116 which is the latest - in the OP subject btw...

I own a master license so tried the Windows version yesterday with Crossover - no dice, Crossover can't handle it - freezes, crashes, blah blah blah.

Thing is: I only want this to create ALAC versions of my AIFF and DSF library and sync them to my Sony Walkman (NW-ZX2). I don't want the hassle of creating a Windows partition with Parallels, etc etc. No thank you no.

I would instead like the JRMC license I have paid for get me a piece of software that more or less works.

system pics

I have a master license and run JRMC Windows with Parallels on my iMac. I also run it on JRMC MacOS on the mac side.

I don't have the patience to deal with a Windows install over Parallels just for this. Snooze.

As for the mac implementation, I am not particularly annoyed by the looks or the lack of standard mac interface features, but I am pretty annoyed by the instability and functionality breaks that I experience throughout the app. Just a mess. And mind you I am not doing anything complicated: just transcoding to ALAC (which works ok except that XLD transcodes about 6x faster) and device syncing which is, to put it mildly, crap.

system pics

No, 124 is the latest...probably will not solve all your issues though.

JRiver Media Center 20.0.124 for Mac -- Available Here

Jason: that's a beta build AFAIK and I have tried it and no it doesn't fix any of the many issues I have. I suppose I could call every version an alpha build.

system pics

Jason: that's a beta build AFAIK and I have tried it and no it doesn't fix any of the many issues I have. I suppose I could call every version an alpha build.

No it's released. There is a reason I only use JRiver on my MacBook Air for the plane....

This is the latest version of MC20 for Mac. Please post bugs here. Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion. Non-bug posts will be deleted.

Download: http://files.JRiver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter200124.dmg

20.0.124 (6/30/2015)

1. Fixed: Text strings with diacritical marks were sorting in the wrong order in list views. Now 'A'and 'Â" sort together for example.

2. Changed: Tweaked audio feeder and playback thread priorities and policies to reduce dropouts.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I don't have the patience to deal with a Windows install over Parallels just for this. Snooze.

As for the mac implementation, I am not particularly annoyed by the looks or the lack of standard mac interface features, but I am pretty annoyed by the instability and functionality breaks that I experience throughout the app. Just a mess. And mind you I am not doing anything complicated: just transcoding to ALAC (which works ok except that XLD transcodes about 6x faster) and device syncing which is, to put it mildly, crap.

You could always try the Jriver forum. Bigger chance of getting more info.

Is it on the stable channel or the latest channel?

There is no stable channel on mac... Sorry couldn't help it!

system pics

If you're transcoding to ALAC, try doing a single conversion at a time. It's possible that the encoder isn't thread safe.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

We fix every one we can reproduce. If you have a file that causes a problem, we'd like to see it.

Someone just reported another crash that was related to permissions problems on a NAS. That's two problems this weekend that were caused by other software. More here:

Weird and wonderful (freak problems and their solutions)

We would love to fix any problems found, but we have not been able to reproduce most of them. If you have one, please report it on our forum.

Someone just reported another crash that was related to permissions problems on a NAS. That's two problems this weekend that were caused by other software.
With respect, if the first problem you are referring to is the JRiver crash on importing corrupt data, how can that have been caused by other software? Are you saying JRiver can't handle the corrupt data from imported music files more elegantly, ie, without crashing?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

If we know what is causing the crash, we can fix it, but some of these are related to "downloaded" files. Here's another one just reported:

Media Center Quit Unexpectedly [solved]

It's a zipped file or its contents.

If another program or even the OS starts doing something unexpected, it's very difficult to find the problem unless we can reproduce it or get a sample file.