IGNORED

Any Opinions About Ayre Acoustics K-5xeMP preamp?

I am running my PS Audio Direct Stream directly to my amp. I have read that running the 'DS' through a very good preamp will result in better sound compared to 'going direct.' I have read good things about the K-5xeMP, but I'm not familiar with it, and I don't know if it is indeed a "verry good" preamp..........The cost is certainly much less than many of the well known 'SOTA preamps.'

Since the gain of the DS is about 3-4 dB quieter than my previous DAC (the PS Audio PWDII), and because DSD files tend to be about 6dB quiter than PCM files, I feel that I need a little more volume capacity..................Would adding a preamp necessarily provide more gain.......more volume?

Thank you.

I have run the Ayre K5xe for quite a long while, going on 20 years now I think. Had it upgraded to MP about 3-4 years ago. I have no complaints and have had only 1 problem with it (volume control) which Ayre repaired for free even though it was out of warranty. I've had no reason to even consider another preamp and doubt that I will consider another. SQ is outstanding. Add the price point and it is a steal. I've never gone direct to the amp. I know that in theory it should sound better, but when I have heard direct vs a preamp I've always preferred the preamp. The direct method was lacking in dynamic range and sounded a little stressed on very loud passages. Again YMMV and this is just my opinion. Try one. You can always resell it if it's not your cup of tea. Good luck!

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X