IGNORED

New to Me Acoustat Model 3 Speakers

My brother tipped me to them. Got them from a local pawn shop for $500 plus CT sales tax. Running them with an old Acoustat TNT-120 amp I've had for years, it has mainly been boxed.

This is a return to electrostatics for me after years with dynamic speakers. My only other set of electrostatics was my Acoustat 1+1 pair with sub. These are better than my memory of those in every respect. The panels are playing like new, and they have the last iteration of the Medallion transformer, before Acoustat went to the Spectra line, and then lamentably folded.

The Model 3s have plenty of bass for me, great presence and a wide, deep soundstage with very good imaging. Beautiful, musical midrange is the thing that draws me in most of all.

Ah, the model 3 Acoustat. I knew people with 1+1, 2+2, model 3, and owned model 2. In my opinion the 3's were the best of the bunch followed by 2+2's. The model 3 was much less picky about sitting exactly in the middle and as you describe had more low end (a function of being wider I assume).

Steve Jobs for many years used some of those model 3 Acoustats.

A functioning pair is well worth $500.

If you have a hankering to try tube amps, these are a great match. Older VTL amps of 75 wpc or more will play them very well. C-J's do alright, but the VTL is better. Older large C-J solid state amps are a surprisingly good match as well. Though the best SS amps on Acoustats might be Spectral. Even a DMA50 will do a very good job with them. Then again, Spectrals are almost never a bad idea on any speakers. Nothing wrong with your Acoustat amp either.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

My brother tipped me to them. Got them from a local pawn shop for $500 plus CT sales tax. Running them with an old Acoustat TNT-120 amp I've had for years, it has mainly been boxed.

This is a return to electrostatics for me after years with dynamic speakers. My only other set of electrostatics was my Acoustat 1+1 pair with sub. These are better than my memory of those in every respect. The panels are playing like new, and they have the last iteration of the Medallion transformer, before Acoustat went to the Spectra line, and then lamentably folded.

The Model 3s have plenty of bass for me, great presence and a wide, deep soundstage with very good imaging. Beautiful, musical midrange is the thing that draws me in most of all.

David,

I've had Acoustats since 1979 (4 different models), I currently run a pair of Spectra 3300's, similar to your 'new' speakers.

i love the reliability of the Acoustat panels and electronics, in addition to the wonderful sound. They had a fine price/performance ratio when new. Now the cheaper used prices, and no degradation of performance, make them an even better deal !

Very nice score! You might be interested in this thread:

AudiogoN Forums: Help with Acoustat Model 1 + 1

Thanks for the link. Another good resource for anyone reading this who has Acoustat speakers is diyaudio.com.

I was very lucky in this score. Firstly, the owners of the pawn shop knew they had a cult speaker that would be hard to get rid of, and I have a downstairs music room that the wife gives me close to free reign in, so WAF was not a factor. Secondly, they had already made pretty good money on their total score. They got a bunch of electronics and a pair of Klipsch Corner Horns in addition to the 'stats, and they sold all the other stuff for what I assume was a good profit. They really just wanted the floor space back from the big ol' speakers. $895 marked became $500 out the door just by going back a couple of times and hemming and hawing. I didn't even have to make an offer (which was going to be $600, had it come to that).

Lastly, and probably most importantly, the former owner kept very good care of these speakers. I'll post some pics once I get the music room a little more picked up. In the meantime, I can say esldude's recollections are spot on. I used to own 1+1s, these are simply better in every way, to me. They image as well but have a wider sweet spot, and loads more bass. They also seem to have more impact, sounding very good on rock as well as the obvious things like female vocalists and chamber music.

Also, thanks to esldude for the amp recommendations, but my free reign doesn't extend to the budget. I think I'm done for a while now, other than some long interconnects to get my electronics, other than amp, off to the side.