IGNORED

Surge Protector affect ing quality

I don't have enough wall AC connections for both my MacBook and external HD. How bad with a surge protector that has a very short AC cable and 6 inputs affect my sound If I then plug in my Mac Book and external HD?

Or is there a way I can use my Thunderbolt port to power a WD USB 3 external HD?

While a unit may have:

a] A surge protection circuit.

b] A power line noise filter circuit.

Those are two separate tasks and require separate circuits.

Right. Most power strips I see at computer and electronics outlets have only surge suppression capabilities built in.

But, EMI/RFI filtering is much rarer, and if it is not labeled as such it is Not included. This is what I would want for audio purpose. Some products have both capabilities, some one, or the other. Make sure you see clearly what the product includes, and don't assume* :)

* makes an 'ass' of 'u' and 'wgscott' :)

I don't have enough wall AC connections for both my MacBook and external HD. How bad with a surge protector that has a very short AC cable and 6 inputs affect my sound If I then plug in my Mac Book and external HD?

Or is there a way I can use my Thunderbolt port to power a WD USB 3 external HD?

Personally I think your best option would be to leave the laptop run from battery while listening to music and then just plug in the NAS to any old power strip you have. At the NAS level, trying to filter noise is useless but some would like to have you believe otherwise.

Now blocking noise to your PC... That's certanly worth pursuing but you've already got what you need in running on battery. The best isolation you can find and its free to boot :)

• 2 months later...

Going by the attached specifications it should do a worthwhile job.

Data Line Protection RJ-11 Telephon/Modem/Fax/DSL protection (1 in, 2 out); Coaxial/Cable protection

AC RATING 15A/125V/1875W

Max. Spike Voltage 6000V

AC Plug Style Right Angle

Clamping Voltage 330V

EMI/RFI Noise Filter 150K Hz ~100M Hz, up to 75dB

NOT GND Indicator Yes, RED

Circuit Total Joules 3780J

Overload Protection Yes

Power Safety Shut Down Yes, GREEN

Yes

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

A good surge protector will help to filter out noise your computer power supply generates.

I use this:

Eight-Outlet Audio Surge Protector | Brick Wall

It looks very nice indeed.

I particularly like the isolation between sockets.

Do you know what they mean by "isolated by Duplex" ?

I presume that those 6 sockets are only switched on when a load is detected by the Master Sockets,

but are they claiming further isolation between Masters and Slaves ?

Outlets Available 8 isolated by duplex (6 switched, 2 unswitched)

Load Ratings 15A at 120 volts, single phase, 50-60 Hz; full load regulation 1%.

Receptacle Isolation Low pass filter isolation assures >40db load to load isolation for EFT bursts.

Endurance Test 1,000 surges of 6,000 volts, 3,000 amperes, SRV <400 volts, no failures, L-N (ground wire protection) mode, U.S. Gov't. Mode 1.

Limiters Series surge reactor current limiter; cascaded, auto-tracking dual polarity voltage limiters; dual pulse inverters. Parameters optimized for switch-mode power supply protection.

Clamping Voltage Onset 172 volts nominal; 2 volts above peak line voltage (auto-tracking).

EMI/RFI Filter Response (bi-directional, wave tracking): With 50 ohm Rg load: 3db at 5kHz; 26dB at 100kHz; 38dB at 300kHz.

Let-Through Slew Rate 5,000 volt/µs disturbance reduced to 28v/µs within AC power wave envelope, and less than 10v/µs outside the power wave envelope.

Maximum Applied Surge Pulse Joule Rating Unlimited rating (due to surge current limiting) (8x20µs).

Maximum Applied Surge Pulse Voltage 6,000 volts (1.2 x 50µs) (Industry Standard rating).

Maximum Applied Surge Pulse Current >100,000 amperes (unlimited due to current limiting) (8 x 20µs).

Endurance, C62.41-1991 (formerly IEEE 587) Category B3 (C1) pulses 2kv>100,000; 4kv>10,000; 6kv>1,000 (NRTL verified).

Dimensions 3.9" H x 8.3" W x 4.0" D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Admittedly, you can't get this one at Walmart.

Funny, for giggles I'm going to try two of (six) Zero Surge TSC units I have here on my stereo in place of what I currently use to see what they do. The TSC line isn't even advertised anymore on the Zero Surge site but they do exist.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 2 months later...

I've used these professional grade items ... :

Isolator Series 120V 1000W Isolation Transformer Based Power Conditioner 4 Outlets(IS1000) | Tripp Lite

Isobar 8 Outlet Surge Protector 12 ft Cord 3840 Joules Remote Master Switch(IB8RM) | Tripp Lite

... for several years. I'm showing the US models here, as the UK models seem to have been discontinued. Isolation transformer is plugged directly to mains and Isobar 8 is plugged into output of isolation transformer.

Works quite well.

I've used these professional grade items ... :

Isolator Series 120V 1000W Isolation Transformer Based Power Conditioner 4 Outlets(IS1000) | Tripp Lite

Isobar 8 Outlet Surge Protector 12 ft Cord 3840 Joules Remote Master Switch(IB8RM) | Tripp Lite

... for several years. I'm showing the US models here, as the UK models seem to have been discontinued. Isolation transformer is plugged directly to mains and Isobar 8 is plugged into output of isolation transformer.

Works quite well.

Thanks I'm on a very tight budget.

• 4 weeks later...
Is a 20A load rating surge protector

required for a 20A dedicated circuit?

Surge protectors are rated usually as a Voltage, like 300V or 2kV something together with a joule figure of how energy they can suck when there's a real transient.

Circuit breakers or fuses protect current and are rated in amps A (amperes). There's different classes (or curves) as well of those, to let through inrush currents from large amps or transformers. Curve A is a general purpose protection, a Curve D allows 10 x rated current of the circuit breaker for a short time to pass like 50ms, often are adjustable. Slo-blo usually does the same thing for fuses, do it too often in a row and the fuse ruptures soon enough.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Surge protectors are rated usually as a Voltage, like 300V or 2kV something together with a joule figure of how energy they can suck when there's a real transient.

Circuit breakers or fuses protect current and are rated in amps A (amperes). There's different classes (or curves) as well of those, to let through inrush currents from large amps or transformers. Curve A is a general purpose protection, a Curve D allows 10 x rated current of the circuit breaker for a short time to pass like 50ms, often are adjustable. Slo-blo usually does the same thing for fuses, do it too often in a row and the fuse ruptures soon enough.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Please simplify a bit. On brickwall.com

there is an eight-outlet audio surge protector with load ratings specs. of

15A at 120 volts, single phase, 50-60 Hz; full load regulation 1%. Does

the 15A in this spec signify that it is not recommended for a dedicated

20A circuit as used for my audio system?

thank you,

pb-

No in this case the total maximum load current for the entire circuit is 20 Amps. Any device or component the draws 20 Amps or less is permitted on a 20 Amp circuit. The point of use surge protector will have only 15 Amp receptacles and only 15 Amp or less components may be plugged into it. The surge protector will also have a circuit breaker that limits total continuous current to 15 Amps. The only audio products that draw large amounts of continuous current are large Class "A" amplifiers.