IGNORED

Can anyone advise on how to connect these components?

Hey all,

OP here. I have just two more (probably simple) questions for everyone below if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

With a 2.1 system set up in parallel such as suggested here, I am wondering if the amplifier volume would also control the bass frequencies being delivered by the sub. Or, will it be necessary to use the volume dial on the sub itself for the bass, since it is connected from the amp via speaker level and not pre-amp or line level. I hope I explained that correctly.

Last but not least, when outputting two speaker wires from one amp terminal while setting up in parallel, is it acceptable to simply twist these together into one before connecting to the terminal? Or, do they have to be separated such as when using spade lugs? I imagine it'd okay if two wires being used for the same polarity were to touch, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks all, can't thank ya enough!

With a 2.1 system set up in parallel such as suggested here, I am wondering if the amplifier volume would also control the bass frequencies being delivered by the sub.

I assume you mean in day to day use? If so, yes turning the volume up or down will affect the level from the subwoofer as well as the main speakers.

Last but not least, when outputting two speaker wires from one amp terminal while setting up in parallel, is it acceptable to simply twist these together into one before connecting to the terminal?

Yes you can simply twist the bare wires together - the difficulty comes if the sets of wires become (physically) too big for the terminals.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yes you can simply twist the bare wires together - the difficulty comes if the sets of wires become (physically) too big for the terminals.

With all due respect to Audio_Elf, I think this is very bad advice, especially given jetsetter43's situation. Bare wires too easily allow stray strands to wander from one binding post to the other at either the amplifier's outputs or at the speaker terminals themselves. This can, and often does, result in damaging the amplifier. Of course he could always "tin" the ends of each cable, and slip the tinned ends into the hole under the thumb nut on each 5-way binding post, but that would require soldering skills which, as I understand it, jetsetter43 does not possess.

I suggested in another post that he purchase, from Parts Express, their very reasonably priced 14 GA speaker cables terminated in banana plugs. His ultimate choice of a subwoofer has separate banana posts for both the amplifier connections and the outputs to each of his main speakers. This means that he needs three pairs of speaker cables, or 6 individual cables in all. Then he merely needs to plug the red coded banana plugs into the red binding posts and the black (or white) coded banana plugs into the black binding posts. This is quick, easy, and practically fool proof.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

OP here. About to pick up these components but just wanted to ensure that the below diagram looks like an accurate one.

setup2.png

I'm going to try and procure the cables terminated with spade lugs, or at least make them myself (as long as it doesn't involve soldering :)), however I'm wondering if I can also possibly get away with using 4 conductor speaker wire if the aforementioned is unattainable. I know that George had advised against wires without spade lugs given the possibility of the wire straying over to another terminal, so I'm a bit ambivalent.

Thanks all and appreciate everyone's help who has contributed.

Yes that looks right.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi all,

OP here. About to pick up these components but just wanted to ensure that the below diagram looks like an accurate one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19726[/ATTACH]

I'm going to try and procure the cables terminated with spade lugs, or at least make them myself (as long as it doesn't involve soldering :)), however I'm wondering if I can also possibly get away with using 4 conductor speaker wire if the aforementioned is unattainable. I know that George had advised against wires without spade lugs given the possibility of the wire straying over to another terminal, so I'm a bit ambivalent.

So you decided to go with the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer? If so, this is the correct connection. If you went with the other sub you were looking at, this is not correct because that sub was designed to be hooked-up in series with your main speakers, not in parallel with them as shown above.

Good luck.

George

For the amplifier end, why not terminate four individual speaker wires with spades and the other four with bananas. Then, at each binding post of the amplifier, you can tighten one spade and plug one banana in the post's hole, thus ensuring good connections.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron