IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the second board for? [emoji33]

I think that you may find that John is referring to an entirely different new product, so don't hold your breath waiting for further details..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

microRendu is out. I'm going to use my original Regen PS for it, until I find out what the "mystery" is and how much it costs. Hopefully it will be soon.:)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

So the Sonore is also coming out with a Signature power supply for the microRendu - too many choices but is it safe to assume that both Sonore and Uptone are the very best quality for microRendu to perform optimally ? Alex, any indication to the expected price for the "mystery" ps ?

Alex, any indication to the expected price for the "mystery" ps ?

Well the BoM (bill of materials) is mostly added up (some discrepancy--read surprise increase--on the case cost still needs to be resolved), and we have PCB fabrication/population quotes from 1 of the 3 vendors I put it out to bid on. Our original target retail price was $300, but the way it is looking it will have to be between $350-400. There is a LOT of stuff (214 parts to be precise) on both sides of this 106mm x 100mm 4-layer board!

and it still is an add-on, Alex, or along the road it became a full PS?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Well the BoM (bill of materials) is mostly added up (some discrepancy--read surprise increase--on the case cost still needs to be resolved), and we have PCB fabrication/population quotes from 1 of the 3 vendors I put it out to bid on. Our original target retail price was $300, but the way it is looking it will have to be between $350-400. There is a LOT of stuff (214 parts to be precise) on both sides of this 106mm x 100mm 4-layer board!

Ok, I understand. But is it a linear power supply just like the JS2 or something else ? what is the input to this ps ?

Ok, I understand. But is it a linear power supply just like the JS2 or something else ? what is the input to this ps ?

Sorry, I suppose until I put up a web page for it then people just joining this thread will be confused as information came out piecemeal over time. Tried to find a concise post upthread, but the closest I came was this one:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index16.html#post468055

Since then we have expanded the voltage selection to a 3-postion switch to include 3.3V in addition to the original 5V, and 7V choices.

So in essence it is a 1A DC-DC LPS. It gets externally powered by any PS in the range of 12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A--and the quality of that PS will make ZERO difference to the quality of the 100% isolated DC output. Give it the nastiest input voltage you can possibly come up with (as long as it is in the voltage/current range just outlined), and you will get the same ultra-clean and fast power out of it.

It is true that--for those whose AC mains and rest of system are allergic to any SMPS--the new piece as shipped does not address that. But plenty of people have little El Cheapo LPS units that would feed our box nicely, though traditional (trans/diodes/caps/reg) linear power supplies are all also guilty of putting harmonics back into the AC line--just at lower frequencies than an SMPS--and good level V and VI SMPS units (like the Mean Well we ship with the REGEN) spread their noise across a wide very high frequency spectrum).

Hope that helps. When we fully reveal then everyone will understand what makes this such an exciting supply.

From above: "Is it safe to assume that both Sonore and Uptone are the very best quality for microRendu to perform optimally?" Alex: can you comment on this? Thx.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting the drift, mostly from Barrows' post, that the Sonore supply for uRendu will be quite different and significantly more expensive than the Uptone Mystery supply for the Regen?

Sorry, I suppose until I put up a web page for it then people just joining this thread will be confused as information came out piecemeal over time. Tried to find a concise post upthread, but the closest I came was this one:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uptone-audio-regen-power-supply-add-24963/index16.html#post468055

Since then we have expanded the voltage selection to a 3-postion switch to include 3.3V in addition to the original 5V, and 7V choices.

So in essence it is a 1A DC-DC LPS. It gets externally powered by any PS in the range of 12V/1.5A, 9V/2A, or 7.5V/2.5A--and the quality of that PS will make ZERO difference to the quality of the 100% isolated DC output. Give it the nastiest input voltage you can possibly come up with (as long as it is in the voltage/current range just outlined), and you will get the same ultra-clean and fast power out of it.

It is true that--for those whose AC mains and rest of system are allergic to any SMPS--the new piece as shipped does not address that. But plenty of people have little El Cheapo LPS units that would feed our box nicely, though traditional (trans/diodes/caps/reg) linear power supplies are all also guilty of putting harmonics back into the AC line--just at lower frequencies than an SMPS--and good level V and VI SMPS units (like the Mean Well we ship with the REGEN) spread their noise across a wide very high frequency spectrum).

Hope that helps. When we fully reveal then everyone will understand what makes this such an exciting supply.

Ahh, now I understand. So you really need an actual power supply and the "mystery" ps will scrub the incoming and output clean power. This seems similar to the ifi dc purifier. I have a couple of those and it does work well with the el cheapo lps and wall warts. The ifi is more flexible in the 5v to 24v range at 3.5A. I wish the “mystery” ps (shall we call it as MPS ?) would offer similar wide range instead of selecting only 3 of them ?

Accessory – DC iPurifier

Is it just me or is anyone else getting the drift, mostly from Barrows' post, that the Sonore supply for uRendu will be quite different and significantly more expensive than the Uptone Mystery supply for the Regen?

Now that I understand what the "mystery" ps is, the Sonore and Uptone are two completely different product at different price point. You don’t need the MPS if you are buying the Sonore for Microrendu. Similarly, the MPS will be very effective if you have a cheap LPS or wall wart to power the microrendu.

Ahh, now I understand. So you really need an actual power supply and the "mystery" ps will scrub the incoming and output clean power.

Sorry, but no, not at all like DC iPurifier! Our piece is not a filter. We are NOT cleaning or "scrubbing" the incoming DC at ALL! We are 100% disconnected from the incoming DC at all times.

John and I have promised each other we would not reveal (though it should already be apparent to some) what the thing really is until the boards are in process at the fab house. In large part because there will immediately be a flood of questions about how it works and John wants to have a couple of evenings to write something up that explains it enough to do justice to how cool it is and to the monumental effort the design has required. Actually it would be much more fun to wait to post photos of the first boards at the same time. But we are all impatient. ;)

Hang in there, it won't be long (famous last words I know…)

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Frankly.... I'll be looking for the best PSU in the $300-400 range to use with the uRendu.

Hoping the Uptone will fit this bill. Seems the Sonore's tag will come in above that.

Barrows made a comment in Chris' Part 1 microRendu thread which seems to suggest the Sonore microRendu PS will be in the neighborhood of $1,300 (the Sonore PS + microRendu combined price being in the $2,000 range).

That is too much for me for a PS that would only be used to power my $650 microRendu. I'm definitely going with the Uptone MPS (energized by my El Cheap-O LPS).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Sorry, but no, not at all like DC iPurifier! Our piece is not a filter. We are NOT cleaning or "scrubbing" the incoming DC at ALL! We are 100% disconnected from the incoming DC at all times.

John and I have promised each other we would not reveal (though it should already be apparent to some) what the thing really is until the boards are in process at the fab house. In large part because there will immediately be a flood of questions about how it works and John wants to have a couple of evenings to write something up that explains it enough to do justice to how cool it is and to the monumental effort the design has required. Actually it would be much more fun to wait to post photos of the first boards at the same time. But we are all impatient. ;)

Thanks,

--Alex C.

Sorry Alex, but I am just trying to figure it all out in my head. Would you care to comment the use of “mystery” ps along with, lets say a JS-2 ? does it still benefit or is it redundant ?

Sorry Alex, but I am just trying to figure it all out in my head. Would you care to comment the use of “mystery” ps along with, lets say a JS-2 ? does it still benefit or is it redundant ?

Hi Dev, Alex can answer, but the answer to your question is "no".

Alex just wrote in Post #634 above (he has also written this many other times), the power source one uses to energize the Uptone MPS will be completely irrelevant, with the only caveat being that if your system is sensitive to SMPS, then don't use SMPS. Save your money and use something cheap- it won't make a difference in sound quality.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hi Dev, Alex can answer, but the answer to your question is "no".

Alex just wrote in Post #634 above (he has also written this many other times), the power source one uses to energize the Uptone MPS will be completely irrelevant, with the only caveat being that if your system is sensitive to SMPS, then don't use SMPS. Save your money and use something cheap- it won't make a difference in sound quality.

Ok, I see. Yes, Alex did mention it.

So in other words El Cheapo LPS + Uptone MPS could do the trick and could probably fit the bill for many who doesn't want to spend $1300 for the Sonore PS. I wonder what's in the Sonore PS that makes it so costly for 7V/2A ?

Thanks,

--Alex C.

I know I know but I'm not even going to guess as it could start a shit storm of questions. I will patiently wait for the official reveal. ;-)

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Barrows made a comment in Chris' Part 1 microRendu thread which seems to suggest the Sonore microRendu PS will be in the neighborhood of $1,300 (the Sonore PS + microRendu combined price being in the $2,000 range).

That is too much for me for a PS that would only be used to power my $650 microRendu. I'm definitely going with the Uptone MPS (energized by my El Cheap-O LPS).

Is this not the page for the Sonore supply? It shows a MSRP of $2,400 for the PSU SONORE Signature Series Power Supply

Is this not the page for the Sonore supply? It shows a MSRP of $2,400 for the PSU SONORE Signature Series Power Supply

Good catch. I did not notice they had now put the microRendu PS on the Sonore website. So, $2,400? Yowza!

I more of think its a typo and should be $1399 instead. Wishful thinking ?

Yes, I am pretty sure that is a typo because I too recall Jesus telling me $1,399 during our phone chat over the weekend. Cut them some slack as they are really slammed with the MicroRendu launch and the logistics of lots of orders all at once.

Sorry, I suppose until I put up a web page for it then people just joining this thread will be confused as information came out piecemeal over time.

OH... Great news here for sure....Thank you! So, - this could be an add on to my Teradak 9v/2A LPS!!

Very Coole

Cheers,