IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess you have to thoroughly test your pre-production board to ensure that no further changes are required before you order production parts. How long do you expect that process to take if there are no unanticipated surprises?

I predict June shipping.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

How are you ever going to regain our attention after Apple announces their new magical and revolutionary watchbands on Monday?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It would be great to have a status update on your pre-production board, even if it's still too early to talk about the design and technology of your power supply.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

It would be great to have a status update on your pre-production board, even if it's still too early to talk about the design and technology of your power supply.

The pre-production board is being layed out right now. I'm taking the lessons learned from the 4 previous boards to make this board very reliable and robust. I've managed to get rid of a lot of parts so it is easily fitting on the board size that fits in the case we chose. The last time I did an all-together-on-one-board it was very tight and took a lot of work to cram it all in, this is going much easier.

John S.

Thank you, John! Streamlining things while making the product more robust is always a good sign of progress.

Just replying to get progress updates from this thread on whateveritis :P

I'm still working on the layout. It's getting close, probably done this week. Working on it right now. Well obviously reading forums RIGHT now, taking a break from parts placement optimization, this is where I stare at the screen for hours on end thinking "if I move this here I get shorter routes for this net but longer for that, then if I move this other thing, I could cut down on that net, then move this group over here that would free up room for this part, which makes that better.............."

It looks like nothing is happening, just staring at the screen, but it is actually the most important part for getting the placement just right so the routing goes easy.

John S.

I'm still working on the layout. It's getting close, probably done this week. Working on it right now. Well obviously reading forums RIGHT now, taking a break from parts placement optimization, this is where I stare at the screen for hours on end thinking "if I move this here I get shorter routes for this net but longer for that, then if I move this other thing, I could cut down on that net, then move this group over here that would free up room for this part, which makes that better.............."

It looks like nothing is happening, just staring at the screen, but it is actually the most important part for getting the placement just right so the routing goes easy.

John S.

Ahh... Eisenstein thought of General Relativity while he was riding a bicycle, you know... you get the idea ;D

John S.

I'm surprised there isn't any sort of simulation optimization for this type of effort. It would make sense to me that at least that would get one in the ball park if not ideal.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

For jtwrace, here's a bit of discussion about using tools to automate parts placement optimization

New to PCB design - why doesn't auto placing components exist? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

How do you manage the logistics for a device with 216 parts? The prospect makes my brain hurt.

How do you manage the logistics for a device with 216 parts? The prospect makes my brain hurt.

Well fortunately on the board itself there are "only" about 52 different parts due to lots of the same part being used in places. Even more thankfully, our board house does all the ordering (with most parts on reels) and inventory, though I do pay extra for the privilege of having them do so.

But to keep costs down, I build big spreadsheets comparing the volume prices between the distributors as no one distributor has all the items anyway. That part can be a bit mind-numbing (my task this week), though it takes orders of magnitude less brain power than it does for John to design and lay out a circuit like this. 4 power domains, 4-layer board, parts on both sides, FPGA programming, and control of noise, impedance, currents, and heat. That's the stuff that makes MY brain hurt. ;)

(But I must say, I do take a little pleasure in having gotten to the point where I can be reviewing one if his preliminary boards layouts and catch some semi-glaring error that he just had not yet picked up on. Sometimes I wonder if he puts them in there just to help me me feel useful…)

That said, there is one project I can talk about: The new UpTone Production Facility (UPF).

We'll send the drone over to your place. The Apple HQ flyovers are getting old.

Why would a power supply add on be micro SD card equipped???

Well since it uses an FPGA (with a VERY, VERY slow running clock), the SDcard slot is there just in case we ever need to issue a firmware update. The slot will be empty, but if the need ever arrises we could either mail out microSD cards with the code ready to auto-load, and/or make a download image available.

I hope your pre-production board is soon in the hands of your PCB fab. It would be so nice if you could start talking about your technology at AXPONA.

I hope your pre-production board is soon in the hands of your PCB fab. It would be so nice if you could start talking about your technology at AXPONA.

Well the board is almost done, but I can't go to AXPONA, I'm chained to the chair in the lab, there is SOOO much to do, at least 4 different projects.

The second this board goes out I start working on another one...

John S.

Well the board is almost done, but I can't go to AXPONA, I'm chained to the chair in the lab, there is SOOO much to do, at least 4 different projects.

John S.

Sad and happy at the same time here, John! An introduction at the show would have been enjoyable. The fact that you will be wrapping this one up and quickly moving on to another one is a good thing, though! [emoji3]

John S.

What the second board for? [emoji33]