IGNORED

UpTone Audio REGEN Power Supply Add-On

Are you buying one?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alex, can you give us some feel for the size and weight of the 1A power supply? Do you have a prototype board yet? Would it sit on the shelf right beside the REGEN or down on the floor next to the Mean Well SMPS?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Long on the Regen side, short on the other. 30 inches sounds fine.

I like to keep my PSU stuff well away from the equipment. But that's just me :)

Good point. My question is whether this is still a consideration given the technology in this new power supply. If it's not advisable to have the new power supply close to your DAC, then I'd put it close to the Mean Well SMPS. My Mean Well SMPS is on the floor because it came with a fairly short AC cable.

If the new power supply can sit on top of or beside the DAC without any adverse effect, you could use a short cable between the power supply and the REGEN.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

The device will not radiate any EMI/RFI at all, so having it near audio components is not a problem.

OK good that's what I figured. Does this mean no ferrite on the new cable? Will this cable be heavier than the one that currently goes between the Mean Well SMPS and the REGEN?

I initially thought I'd like the new device close to the REGEN, but it's somewhat bigger than I anticipated. The 1.125" height (even without feet) means I don't have enough clearance for it to slip under the REGEN, and I don't really want to pull my DAC 4.375" further forward on the shelf. So I'll probably put the new device next to the Mean Well SMPS and 30" to the REGEN will be fine. I agree that a right angle plug would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...

John, congratulations on an important milestone. I'm wondering will this new power supply (in its initial implementation) be suitable for any audio components other than the REGEN? If so, please give an example.

I guess the fact that your $13K scope isn't good enough is an indicator of success.

• 2 weeks later...
That's pretty awesome and I could totally see these selling...

Jeff Rowland has a new super capacitor power supply for the Aeris DAC and Corus preamp that was tentatively priced at >$8000 a couple of years ago (so it's probably going to cost more than that). I'm not sure whether it's shipping yet. I heard it was being shown privately at Munich High End. It makes John's unit look like a bargain.

I feel like I just joined a new religion called Regen. I've converted by buying my first Regen, now I want to climb the ladder. I need this mystery thingy or I will never become fully enlightened.

Why not buy an extra REGEN as a gift for Tom Cruise. I hear he's into this kind of thing.

I just prefer to be incognito.

Yeah, right.

REGEN came out on top.

I'm glad Michael Lavorgna had the guts to make the call. Everyone has different priorities and preferences in what they listen for. Some (like moi) put a high premium on realistic instrument timbre. I really didn't like his description of the REGEN as 'something akin to a loudness control ... only cleaner'.

I think Alex really nailed it when he said he kind of missed the green REGEN in the sense that it was easier to focus on the more subtle improvements the REGEN makes.

It likely depends on whatever whateveritis is powering.

I think maybe we need Bill Clinton to explain this.

Plus I'm waiting for the first round of my trademark paperwork to come back.

Let's hope the examiners at the USPTO are quicker than the guys at USCIS. I'm finally a US citizen!

I just sent funds to China for 1,000 pieces of a 70mm DC cable (16awg coax with 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs both ends, one end right-angle).

I think you meant 70 cm?

October is definitely out, and November seems iffy as well.

Whateveritis makes a great Christmas present. Especially a whateveritis with a CPLD. QVC will be calling.

• 3 weeks later...
I read elsewhere the PSU add-on is postponed to (at least) early 2016!

Where did you see that? News to me.

Thank you, devs. That's one REGEN thread I don't follow because it's over my head. Ughh, Alex had previously said November wasn't looking good, so I guess some new wrinkle has come up.

John and I recently made some heavy technical decisions on the development of our new supply (the whole thing really is a mind-blower and even has an FPGA in it)

So Alex, now you're using an FPGA rather than a CPLD?

• 2 weeks later...
Never mind that the iUSB3 doesn't have the in/outputs for usb3 hardware . . .

What makes you say that? The ports on the iUSB3.0 are blue and the specs say it supports USB 3.0: Ultra-speed 5.0Gbps.

Even so, I don't know if there's currently any benefit to that support. There are a variety of audiophile USB3 cables in the market ... Wireworld Starlight 7, Audioquest and so on. I haven't researched feedback on the sound quality of these cables compared to their USB2 counterparts.

• 2 months later...

Alex and John, can we start the new year with an update on the status of this device and your latest outlook on production timeframe? Thanks.

Thanks, John. I really find the whole process interesting. It must drive you nuts to discover parts that don't work properly. It sounds like you've accomplished a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

John and Alex, at what point of the R&D process are you planning to disclose details about the technology? Are you going to wait until you have your initial production board?

And this new PS is far from the only thing we have up our sleeves for the first half of this year. :)

Great! Your creative ideas keep things interesting.

• 5 weeks later...
it won't be long
Well, we are in the 3rd trimester!

• 2 weeks later...
And the LPS that is the subject of this thread is going to make an awesome match for microRendu!

Jesus has just announced the micro rendu price, with ordering information coming soon. I'd really like to get your new power supply to go with it, so I hope you can disclose more about your PS technology and production timeframe by the time Jesus opens his order queue. I understand you have to stick to your discipline re business practices. I just hope it works out this way.

Uptown? Bruno Mars is part of Uptone now? LOL

Uptone funk you up!

I saw the picture of John tweaking (registers) on the micro rendu. I'm looking forward to a picture of him doing engineering headstands.