Hello,

My 8yo desktop died on me and I bought a new one. I had two 500GB on the older one that I am trying to recover and the one with data only worked perfectly and I was able to copy everything on the new pc. Yet the other one left, the one with the OS (Win 8.1 Pro) shows up as an ESP HDD with 440Mo available out of 496Mo.

Thing is, that HDD had about 400Mo various data on it, including the OS. Now, It looks almost empty. After a bit of googling, I got that ESP is an EFI system partition... and bla bla bla, I am wayyyyy to dumb to understand any of this.

When I try to get in that drive It says I can't and that I am not authorized and so on...

My new desktop is Win 8.1, where the old one was 8.1 Pro.

Any chances anyone here understand what's going on and knows If my data is still there and If it is possible to somehow get it back?

Thanks!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Thing is, that HDD had about 400Mo various data on it, including the OS. Now, It looks almost empty. After a bit of googling, I got that ESP is an EFI system partition... and bla bla bla, I am wayyyyy to dumb to understand any of this.

Your computer is either unable or unwilling to access GPT partitioned drives. According to TechNet, there seems to be a restriction about moving system drives to another Windows computer. Windows has a disk management tool that you usually access via right click on "My Computer" and the menu entry "Manage" - no idea how this is called in French. Try to access the disk from there. You should be able to recognize two to five distinct areas called partitions on the old disk.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

What is "Mo" supposed to be?

Mo is the French language equivalent of Mb

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Your computer is either unable or unwilling to access GPT partitioned drives. According to TechNet, there seems to be a restriction about moving system drives to another Windows computer. Windows has a disk management tool that you usually access via right click on "My Computer" and the menu entry "Manage" - no idea how this is called in French. Try to access the disk from there. You should be able to recognize two to five distinct areas called partitions on the old disk.

I gave my HDD to a friend who knows his way around stuff like that so we'll see if he succeed... or not!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

As always you're right Eloise. A byte is an octet in french thus megabyte becomes mégaoctet.

I never realised the "octet" part ... so thank you for clueing me in.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.