IGNORED

How Big, How Blue, How Compressed!- Florence and the machine.

Hi all

I recently purchased How Big, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful by Florence and the Machine (Deluxe Edition) from Amazon. I very rarely write reviews but due to the fact that the producers and engineers appear to have completely ruined what could have been a highly enjoyable experience I felt compelled to tell potential buyers that the album has issues.

It is not so much my review that is of interest but the hilarious response from someone who took exception to what I had to say.

How Big, How Beautiful, How Compressed! Another victim of the loudness wars? This CD could have and should have been an absolute show stopper instead it has been seriously compromised by poor engineering. Great songs, great voice, imaginative compositions rendered mediocre by a lack of dynamic range and unbalanced mixing . Don't get me wrong I love this CD I am just deeply saddened knowing that it could have been so much more. If you want to hear this album with slightly better dynamics then go for the hi res download, even then it is not going improve a whole lot. The crucial issue is a production style completely at odds with the music, Welch & co. should have stuck with Paul Epworth as a producer, despite having an impressive CV Dravs has ruined what could have been the album of 2015.

Equipment used for review was as follows

aiff rip - Itunes - Amarra Hifi - Weiss DAC2 - Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 300 - Anthony Gallo Reference 2.5

And the response

Have you tried going into a record store (shops that sell music, tv and film media and accessories) and actually buying the CD (a digitally mastered disc of music), then inserting it into a proper HI FI ( a hardware stack comprised of a separate amplifier, turntable, CD player, tape deck and speakers) and press play?. I did and i have none of the problems you described!!

I hope this gives you a good laugh it did me, it was "then inserting it into a proper HI FI" that really cracked me up.

Are all audiophiles obsessive compulsives or is this just a Stereo Type? Yorkshire UK

Have you tried going into a record store (shops that sell music, tv and film media and accessories) and actually buying the CD (a digitally mastered disc of music), then inserting it into a proper HI FI ( a hardware stack comprised of a separate amplifier, turntable, CD player, tape deck and speakers) and press play?.

That's a good one. The patronising tone is hilarious.