IGNORED

Signal path - from disk to speakers

Newbie question:

Does anyone know if a good graphic that shows all the pieces of the signal path from storage to speakers? This sounds trivial, but I'm looking for pretty fine resolution in terms of the pieces. Where do "player software" like Pure Music" fit in? Where do volume and other adjustments get made (I know - there are choices). Ideally someone would have an interactive graphic that shows the various options of how the signal travels.

I'm looking for the big picture, with fine granularity.

Thanks!

Newbie question:

Does anyone know if a good graphic that shows all the pieces of the signal path from storage to speakers? This sounds trivial, but I'm looking for pretty fine resolution in terms of the pieces. Where do "player software" like Pure Music" fit in? Where do volume and other adjustments get made (I know - there are choices). Ideally someone would have an interactive graphic that shows the various options of how the signal travels.

I'm looking for the big picture, with fine granularity.

Thanks!

I hope that this might be of some assistance. There are diagrams in the narrative. Speakers aren't shown but they connect to the amplifier. http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/Computer-Audio-Demystified-WhitePaper-EN-R2.pdf

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Thank you Allan. That is a good piece, which I have already read. I'm looking for a little more granularity. What's happening to the signal at each stage and what are the tradeoffs?

BTW, I love your signature:"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall"

Thank you Allan. That is a good piece, which I have already read. I'm looking for a little more granularity. What's happening to the signal at each stage and what are the tradeoffs?

BTW, I love your signature:"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall"

I actually heard Roy Hall say it during a conversation I had with him at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few years ago. :)

Dunno if this site will give you any more of what you want: The Well-Tempered Computer

Clicking on the top headings will take you through the various sections.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron