IGNORED

"Buffering Issue when Playing DSD with Wyred4Sound DAC

Hi,

I seem to have developed a new situation in my system whereby when I play DSD files I only get music for about 10 seconds and then it stops with JRMC showing "buffering" while slowly counting up to 100% again. This repeats, never letting the music really play for more than a few seconds.

Background. I have a "CAPS" server running Windows 2012, JRMC and Audiophile Optimizer(AO). The caps server has a Paul Pang USB card powered by a +5v external supply. DAC is Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD SE. JMRC uses the ASIO driver provided by W4S. I recently added a REGEN but the symptoms are there without it. Server runs in CORE mode. Settings in JRMC are as specified by the W4S PDF verified by calling them. I tried removing the REGEN and using a new USB cable but the symptoms are the same.

I did have DSD playing fine for a long time and Red Book still plays perfectly and sounds wonderful. My hardware setup for the PC and DAC front end has really not changed. I have however recently upgraded JRMC to version 20 and AO to one of the last beta versions. My only guess is that one of the settings in AO has affected DSD playback. Since I was previously able to play DSD I assume that my CAPS server is up to the task.

Before I start tearing down the system to it's frame I thought that I would ask for suggestions regarding a possible cause for the buffering.

Thanks!

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Look at the buffer and DSP Studio settings in JR.

Gone over those with a fine toothed comb. No DSP settings enabled. Buffering was set to 10 seconds and memory playing enabled per W4S suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas though. Appreciated!

System

Hi,

I seem to have developed a new situation in my system whereby when I play DSD files I only get music for about 10 seconds and then it stops with JRMC showing "buffering" while slowly counting up to 100% again. This repeats, never letting the music really play for more than a few seconds.

Background. I have a "CAPS" server running Windows 2012, JRMC and Audiophile Optimizer(AO). The caps server has a Paul Pang USB card powered by a +5v external supply. DAC is Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD SE. JMRC uses the ASIO driver provided by W4S. I recently added a REGEN but the symptoms are there without it. Server runs in CORE mode. Settings in JRMC are as specified by the W4S PDF verified by calling them. I tried removing the REGEN and using a new USB cable but the symptoms are the same.

I did have DSD playing fine for a long time and Red Book still plays perfectly and sounds wonderful. My hardware setup for the PC and DAC front end has really not changed. I have however recently upgraded JRMC to version 20 and AO to one of the last beta versions. My only guess is that one of the settings in AO has affected DSD playback. Since I was previously able to play DSD I assume that my CAPS server is up to the task.

Before I start tearing down the system to it's frame I thought that I would ask for suggestions regarding a possible cause for the buffering.

Thanks!

Paul

Install Foobar with the necessary Plugins. Engage KS. Set SACD to to PCM 384k. Play.

There should be no issues with low latency (buffer set at minimum in Playback in Foobar)

and should sound fine. I use only a 4 core low power Celeron at 3-4 VA input power at 1GHz.

I too have the W4S DSDSe and have zero problems both in KS and using the W4S Asio driver.

The reason why I suggest KS is that this is the most direct output method and will show up

any issue with JRiver which I don't like using because of the many invasive writes to the

registry and over complex settings regime.

Hope it helps

fmak

To add, I also have JRiver and AO latest beta and Jplay with the DSDse, and play DSD, and it has worked fine. Never had a registry write effect the sound quality that I was aware of. Just need to tweak the settings. Try disabling AO to eliminate whether that's the cause. Are the DSD files individual (per song) or is it an entire SACD image file? Buffer setting can be different for each. I've also seen some SACD images behave like you report, but the problem went away when the individual song images were extracted and played on their own.

To add, I also have JRiver and AO latest beta and Jplay with the DSDse, and play DSD, and it has worked fine. Never had a registry write effect the sound quality that I was aware of. Just need to tweak the settings. Try disabling AO to eliminate whether that's the cause. Are the DSD files individual (per song) or is it an entire SACD image file? Buffer setting can be different for each. I've also seen some SACD images behave like you report, but the problem went away when the individual song images were extracted and played on their own.

I am playing individual DSD files. Have never tried a ripped SACD.

Disabling AO sounds like my best next step. I tried using the W4S KS driver and it acts just the same although I think that I might like the sound a bit better for Red Book than with the ASIO driver so that was a nice find.

Thanks.

System

I decided to do a test by copying a file from my music SSD to my System SSD. The copy rate was in the KB range so my issue ended up being solved by moving my SATA cable to another port. Works great now.

Not sure why it the problem happened suddenly when I had made no hardware changes.

System