IGNORED

Is there any way to improve the SQ of AAC 256?

Most of my music was ripped from my CDs using AAC 256 or purchased from the iTunes store, also in AAC 256. I was satisfied with AAC mostly because I was too lazy to rip all my CDs again.

The procrastination is over and I will re-rip the CDs to FLAC. That leaves me with the iTunes files. I will buy the CDs for my favorite iTunes files, but I don't want to purchase the hundreds of songs I already own -- I prefer to use the money to buy new music.

So my question is, is there any software I can use to improve the performance of AAC 256? Will something like Amarra or Bitperfect help? It's not that the AAC files suck (I was happy with them up to now), but I don't want to skip those files when I'm in shuffle mode after a FLAC song just finished playing.

You could try converting them to WAV and then up-converting them to DSD128 and stream that to a DAC which does native DSD.

Not a replacement for getting the high-res version or even Redbook version though.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Does Amarra SQ work on iTunes playback or only streaming? Amarra SQ claims to "Improves all streaming audio" which would be similar quality to the iTunes purchases.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

In a day or two I plan to release a new version of "Play thru HQPlayer". This version fixes issues and limitations of previous versions and adds a lot of new features.

It will take whatever you have in your iTunes library, create temporary wav or flac files and write those to Ram and load them for play back by HQPlayer.

You will, of course, need HQPlayer.

This should significantly improve on your AAC256 files.

HQPlayer settings should be the best your dac is capable of suporting.

If you decide to try it when it's released I will be very interested in your opinion of how much it improves AAC256, since I don't have any.

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

In a day or two I plan to release a new version of "Play thru HQPlayer". This version fixes issues and limitations of previous versions and adds a lot of new features.

It will take whatever you have in your iTunes library, create temporary wav or flac files and write those to Ram and load them for play back by HQPlayer.

You will, of course, need HQPlayer.

This should significantly improve on your AAC256 files.

HQPlayer settings should be the best your dac is capable of suporting.

If you decide to try it when it's released I will be very interested in your opinion of how much it improves AAC256, since I don't have any.

Geoff

I will definitely check it out. Will this new release be for both Windows and OSx?

Does Amarra SQ work on iTunes playback or only streaming? Amarra SQ claims to "Improves all streaming audio" which would be similar quality to the iTunes purchases.

Yes amarra does work on itunes I'm using SQ+ with it and have gotten good results with a little E'Q adjusting. I have the HQ player which sounds amazing and is in another league when it comes to up sampling.