IGNORED

Geek Out 1000 (GO1000) DAC for Android smartphones

I know this is probably not your cup of tea in CA forum.

Nevertheless, please redirect me to the right place if you may.

Has any of you used: Geek GO1000 DAC. It's much cheaper than other portable DAC. Or iFI nano DSD (it has volume control)? I learned about it from this report of Android smartphones audio.

I am on the plane a lot with my Android phone. For the simplest, yet good quality music playing --- I'd be very appreciative to hear what your recommendations are if you have bought GO1000 or seen others using it. I listen to soft rocks (70%), classic (10%), rocks (20%), love bass all the time. I will upgrade my headphone from Bose QC15 after I get my DAC selected. (or should I decide on headphones before DAC?) Budget: USB DAC + headphones less than $800.

Thanks in advance.

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

Can't speak to the Geek, but the iFi nano iDSD has many fans on this forum. And it does have a volume control. The micro iDSD is even better, but way more money at $500 (and bigger too.)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Can't speak to the Geek, but the iFi nano iDSD has many fans on this forum. And it does have a volume control. The micro iDSD is even better, but way more money at $500 (and bigger too.)

Thanks for the information. I guess few people in this forum ever use GO1000. I looked it up on iFi on nano and iCan nano for the price range ~$200. (of course, iDSD will be great when I up my budget. :) ) “Great USB DAC with Decent Headphone Amp” - ClieOS’s Review of iFi Nano iDSD

When I read more, I think portable headphone AMP should be what I need for now. And, I guess it brings back to the old question, what types of headphones I'll be using at the end for mobile?

I am eying on over the ear headphones - v-Moda M-100 (semi-open) or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (close), wearing them long hours and lighter weight.

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

Best to check if the GO1000 will work with your Android mobile phone first. As far as I am aware it does not have a battery and thus relies on the mobile device for power. It may not work with you mobile. Go to the LH Labs forum. You should be able to get the appropriate info there.

The iDSD dacs have batteries.

Good Luck.

The one to get is the Geek Out V2 as it has a battery. You also need to get a micro USB B to micro USB B connector so the DAC doesn't drain the battery from your phone, simple OTG cables won't work for that. I would have dropped for the Geek Out V2, but I already have an Oppo HA-2, which does work well with my Android phone.

The one with battery is Geek Out V2+ its $289 and Geek Our V2+ Infinity at $486 in IGG. Check it out.

They are shipping with their V2 (no battery) right now.

Well, they say they are shipping.

Thank you for the information...

Is this the link I'm supposed to check it out?

$289 GO V2+ has a battery (3100mA), but $235 - GO V2 has no battery (so confusing)

(infinity is great. but I don't think I need it yet.)

I've never 'ordered' anything like this before... what does '4 out 10 claimed' mean? Like they only have 10 machines under this price and 4 people had placed their orders so far?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-out-v2-the-world-s-most-powerful-compact-amp/contributions/new/#/contribute?perk_amt=289&perk_id=2951058

The one to get is the Geek Out V2 as it has a battery. You also need to get a micro USB B to micro USB B connector so the DAC doesn't drain the battery from your phone, simple OTG cables won't work for that. I would have dropped for the Geek Out V2, but I already have an Oppo HA-2, which does work well with my Android phone.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the battery thing and the cable.

How is your OPPO HA-2?

Best to check if the GO1000 will work with your Android mobile phone first. As far as I am aware it does not have a battery and thus relies on the mobile device for power. It may not work with you mobile. Go to the LH Labs forum. You should be able to get the appropriate info there.

The iDSD dacs have batteries.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply. I missed the battery part. You are right. I will check the website. I am so used to Android but I might receive 'hand-me-down iPhones' from my children after they pursue their latest iPhones. :)

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the battery thing and the cable.

How is your OPPO HA-2?

Like other Oppo products the HA-2 is well designed, polished, and works well with Android, iOS, and Mac. I use it with all of them. I had a Geek Out 720 before which I sold. Comparatively, the Geek Out was quirky but sounded better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like other Oppo products the HA-2 is well designed, polished, and works well with Android, iOS, and Mac. I use it with all of them. I had a Geek Out 720 before which I sold. Comparatively, the Geek Out was quirky but sounded better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this OPPO HA-2 might work for me!! I'm reading the spec now. I may switch to use iPhone6 (depending when my children get tired of them). For the purpose of portable music listening, I think most people use iPhones but I just have many Androids in hand (Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Avant, Note and even Shark). I want to carry as few equipments as possible when I travel abroad in Asia. (the weight, batteries, cables, etc!) Since I don't have high quality songs yet, I intend to get them from the cloud or store them in MicroSD card so I can listen to them when internet access is a problem.

Me personally, I'm not very happy with the company behind Geek products, LH Labs. This is just one data point for you, but I personally feel that the way they have handled the development of the entire Geek line has left much, much to be desired.

This is probably the first time I have ever said anything so directly against a company self-professed to be into such cool and geeky products (maybe against isn't quite the right word) but I feel compelled to say something as I really think they're way more into hype and marketing. Maybe marketing isn't quite the right word either...maybe social engineering? That's too strong too but something at LH Labs just doesn't sit well with me. Larry seems to know his stuff but maybe it's that Gavin guy there that is the real turn off...classic BSer imho (don't take that as an ad hominem...just the fastest way to sum up my feelings).

Anyone familiar with LH Labs' Geek Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaigns will probably know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I personally will not be buying anything from them ever again on principle.

Rob C

Me personally, I'm not very happy with the company behind Geek products, LH Labs. ....

Anyway, I personally will not be buying anything from them ever again on principle.

Though I don't know the issues in detail of Geek but I appreciate your sharing. At least it must be bad enough to you that is worth your efforts to inform me. Thank you! The more I studied DAC/AMP the more I am confused. Now I read that Sony PHA are good too.