IGNORED

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall - HDTracks vs. the new Analogue SACD

In earlier forum posts you say you have the CaryXciter DAC. It does not do DSD, and therefore you'd have to convert it to PCM, which is a lossy process (assuming you could rip or have someone rip the SACD to DSD via PS3 in the first place). Buy the HDtracks and simply listen to wherever the Cary sounds best (probably 24/96). But at least you are staying in PCM, even if you had to downsample.

I understand, which is why I am saying that I can't begin to imagine that the masterings are so different that the DSD one would make up for a lossy conversion you need to do on it. My $.02.

Who sells the dsd file ?

Acoustic Sounds currently sells the Analogue Productions hybrid SACD version "mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original 3-track analog tapes". It consists of 35 tracks on two discs. OTOH, Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez is selling only a 24/96 PCM FLAC version with 19 tracks as a download. Analogue Productions is a division of Acoustic Sounds so they certainly could offer the DSD version as a download too, if they have the rights to do so. Perhaps they will in the future.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Acoustic Sounds currently sells the Analogue Productions hybrid SACD version "mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original 3-track analog tapes". It consists of 35 tracks on two discs. OTOH, Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez is selling only a 24/96 PCM FLAC version with 19 tracks as a download. Analogue Productions is a division of Acoustic Sounds so they certainly could offer the DSD version as a download too, if they have the rights to do so. Perhaps they will in the future.

If have asked and Acoustic Sounds says they plan to release more of the 3-Channel Stereo SACDs as Stereo DSD Downloads in the future. That's good news since there are many goodies in that category including wonderfully remastered SACDs by Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, The Weavers and others. Definitely looking forward to that.

On the new 3-Channel SACD of Belafonte at Carnegie Hall, it's excellent. Worth getting the SACD if you like the music and concert. I have several of the earlier editions of this concert (CD, Stereo SACD, JVC K2 HD and JVC K2 HD Deluxe Edition) and the new 3-Channel SACD on Analogue beats them all.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/belafonte_carnagie.htm

Thanks. I will get this SACD version.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

As always, I jumped the gun and purchased the download. Since I'm in Nepal right now for work, it is taking forever to download everything, but the tracks I have downloaded sound great - nice and quiet background and very nice ambience. That said, I'm no expert, and haven't and can't measure DR and all that. I somehow completely missed the 35 vs. 19 tracks difference - shoot! Oh well, I can't rip the SACD to my computer so at least I have a high res version available. I'll just have to wait for the next acousticsounds sale to see if I'll plunge for the SACD as well...

As always, I jumped the gun and purchased the download. Since I'm in Nepal right now for work, it is taking forever to download everything, but the tracks I have downloaded sound great - nice and quiet background and very nice ambience. That said, I'm no expert, and haven't and can't measure DR and all that. I somehow completely missed the 35 vs. 19 tracks difference - shoot! Oh well, I can't rip the SACD to my computer so at least I have a high res version available. I'll just have to wait for the next acousticsounds sale to see if I'll plunge for the SACD as well...

The 35 vs 19 tracks is misleading in a way. There aren't 16 more songs. The SACD disc is in 3-channel stereo and contains 3 bonus music tracks, i.e. 22 music tracks in all (the 1st track is just the intro). The second disc is Redbook CD only and contains 12 2-channel stereo tracks that are also on the SACD.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Having finally been able to download the entire 19 tracks from HDTracks, I must say it sounds really nice to me. Anyone else have any thoughts on this and/or comparisons to the SACD?

PS - Thanks Allan for the clarification - that takes away any sting I may have had in opting for the download - for me, the 3 bonus tracks are not a deal maker/breaker.

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the tip re Analogue Productions hybrid SACD version. Just bought it at Acoustic Sounds ... and then some.

ZUhALj.jpg

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Thanks again for the tip re Analogue Productions hybrid SACD version. Just bought it at Acoustic Sounds ... and then some.

ZUhALj.jpg

That's an amazing haul of SACDs!

The two from Red Rose shown for $5 each are out of print. Too bad Acoustic Sounds or Native DSD hasn't tracked down Marc Levinson to sell DSD Downloads of his Red Rose Analog Recordings transferred to DSD on the Sonoma Workstation he borrowed from Sony to make those SACDs. They sound great on SACD.

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

On Tea for the Tillerman, that one is available from the Analog Tape on DSD 64 and DSD 128 download from Acoustic Sounds, transferred by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center. The SACD was transferred using a PCM DAC. Worth comparing.

Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman-DSD Single Rate 28MHz64fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

Cat Stevens-Tea For The Tillerman-DSD Double Rate 56MHz128fs Download|Acoustic Sounds

ZUhALj.jpg

I have the Yamamoto Midnight Sugar SACD, but no SACD player or PS3 to rip it. The CD layer, however, is ear candy. I'd love to hear the SACD in full glory.