IGNORED

iTunes AIFF Encoder

What are good starting setting for this AIFF Encoder and should I check use error correction box?

Definitely use error correction to help get the right bits out of non-pristine CDs. In terms of getting the full content that CD format has to offer, then AIFF will fill the bill. ALAC -- Apple Lossless -- is an alternative which is also lossless, but compressed to save space on your hard disk.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Most of my music i encoded it on a mac it was flac and I used xACT to convert to AIFF which I knew nothing about xACT so I just used whatever the default setting were. I have a 2013 MBP 8GB ram and ifi nano DAC. I purchased both dBpoweramp and Channel D Pure Music. So I have all music (except for CD's I haven't ripped yet) on a WD USB3 4TB external HD. My MBP has only a 227GB flash drive but I also loaded Logic Pro on it and with all it's Extra Content dropped me way down on internal HD space. So I need tips on being very efficient on getting music from my external to internal to play and I realize I shouldn't leave external connected while I listen to music so Im confused on what stays in iTunes. I made my external HD be my iTunes Media Folder location. I stopped there. Thanks for your help.

I have a similar setup using a Mac Mini and have a additional external drive for backup of my computer and music files. When I want to listen to certain files I connect the music library drive, drag them onto the desktop of my Mac mini then disconnect the drive, play the files ( I use Amarra ) then when done delete the files from the desktop.

I keep 90% of my music library on an external (firewire interface) disk and also play the music directly from that source.

If you have your music player set to play from RAM... then I don't think it matters whether you're playing from the internal drive or from an external drive. IMO.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Since I can't replace my internal flash drive or increase my ram from the 8GB How would this be since It won't require AC hook up. LaCie 500GB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 SSD Drive 500 bucks. I would the put all my music on it and any app's I need maybe even Logic Pro with its extra content.

Since I can't replace my internal flash drive or increase my ram from the 8GB How would this be since It won't require AC hook up. LaCie 500GB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 SSD Drive 500 bucks. I would the put all my music on it and any app's I need maybe even Logic Pro with its extra content.

I think you could get by with a non-SSD model, especially if you use a player that reads the current track into RAM before playing it. Or maybe I'm not understanding your question...

Most of my music i encoded it on a mac it was flac and I used xACT to convert to AIFF which I knew nothing about xACT so I just used whatever the default setting were. I have a 2013 MBP 8GB ram and ifi nano DAC. I purchased both dBpoweramp and Channel D Pure Music. So I have all music (except for CD's I haven't ripped yet) on a WD USB3 4TB external HD. My MBP has only a 227GB flash drive but I also loaded Logic Pro on it and with all it's Extra Content dropped me way down on internal HD space. So I need tips on being very efficient on getting music from my external to internal to play and I realize I shouldn't leave external connected while I listen to music so Im confused on what stays in iTunes. I made my external HD be my iTunes Media Folder location. I stopped there. Thanks for your help.

I think you are referring to the fact that your external drive is USB, and your output to DAC is also on the USB bus. You don't want the DAC to share the USB bus with other devices while playing music. All you need is an appropriately-sized, bus-powered Thunderbolt drive on which to store your iTunes music library. You don't need SSD for this. A bus-powered drive will work off the laptop's battery or with it plugged into AC power.

Search Results for thunderbolt bus-powered at MacSales.com

Keep your OSX and all your apps on the internal drive, including iTunes and your music player, but uncheck the boxes in iTunes Preferences that say "Keep iTunes Media folder organized", and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." This will prevent iTunes from attempting to copy your music files from your external to the internal drive.

If your current external drive is USB 3.0 only, bite the bullet and get a Thunderbolt drive. Use your current USB 3.0-only drive to backup your computer hard drive and music library. Everyone should have a stand-alone safety backup of their entire music library, as well as all their computer files, including a bootable backup of the OS.

Thanks that helps I was looking at this LaCie 500GB Thunderbolt/USB 3 SSD

LaCie 500GB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 SSD Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

500GB is not a lot of storage space for uncompressed AIFF files. You never want to fill up more than 80-90% of a drive's total capacity, so that will only hold about 500-600 albums, and FAR less if you move up to hi-res/DSD.

We are telling you that there is no advantage to storing your music files on an external SSD drive vs. an external HDD. And, at 5x the price, this seems like a no-brainer.

500GB is not a lot of storage space for uncompressed AIFF files. You never want to fill up more than 80-90% of a drive's total capacity, so that will only hold about 500-600 albums, and FAR less if you move up to hi-res/DSD.

We are telling you that there is no advantage to storing your music files on an external SSD drive vs. an external HDD. And, at 5x the price, this seems like a no-brainer.

This is very sound advice. You can never have too much disk space and 500GB will fill up real quick.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Back to old question. Should I make a iTunes Media Folder on an external HD.

There is no need if you've set up iTunes as described in Post #10. Simply use the Add To Library command to add the folders on your external drive containing your music to iTunes. If you've got "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library." turned off, this will tell iTunes where your music lives without copying it your media folder.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I need info on NAS for iTunes. I have a MacBook Pro 2013 8GB RAM 250GB internal Flash drive. I'll be using the wifi NANO DAC. I don't need a very large HD just about 1TB at most. I have look at I have an old NETGEAR router no usb connections

Synology America DiskStation 1-Bay Network Attached Storage (DS115J)

I mistakenly bought a 4TB WD at Best Buy for 125.00 USB3 was hoping I could use it with a

Kanex Thunderbolt to eSATA + USB 3.0 Adapter for 80 bucks and save some money that way I could make use of my large WD external and it would also be powered.

• 2 months later...
Back to old question. Should I make a iTunes Media Folder on an external HD.

Yes. I reccommend establishing your iTunes Media folder, and the iTunes folder too. There are a number of advantages to this kind of setup. You can do a complete backup of your media system in one simple operation. You can move your external drive from one PC system to another, like when you replace or upgrade your computers. Generally people don't mess around with music library management tasks while doing serious listening, so access contention between the two datasets, on one storage device, shouldn't be an issue.

Of course you should check both 'iTunes Media' checkboxs on the iiTunes Preferences 'Advanced' pane. Doing that, and properly pointing iTunes at both external folders (iTunes/ ..Media/), should result in a better, and easier, file management of iTunes, and your music library.

FYI, I did that multiple time but it just did nothing. I then opted while in iTunes to go to File then either Library organize OR File then Add Folder to Library.

either difference I did something like that and the entire external library began populating!