IGNORED

Simply curiosities

No offense... I am simply curious... Any of you actually experiences or owns any of the following headphones? (2011's report, of course the inflation and new gears/sec could change the list, nevertheless)?

Comparing World-Class Headphones | InnerFidelity

HeadAmp Blue Hawaii ($4995);

Apex Audio Pinnacle ($10,000);

Wadia 861SE CD Player ($9,950);

Stax Sr-009 ($5200);

Stax SR-007, Mk1 late version ($2600 for current MK2);

Sennheiser HD 800 ($1499);

Audez'e LCD-2 late Rev 1 ($995);

HiFiMAN HE-6 ($1199);

HiFiMAN HE-500 ($899);

Cardas Golden Reference interconnects ($840);

and Audio Power Industries Power Wedge Ultra line conditioner.

I thought the $300s are already beyond my ears' mental and physical capacities until I read this article and wonder DO THEY REALLY sound different than $300s? Not that I even own a $300 range headphone, then again, I know I have to feed hi-fi musics/songs to it.

Now, on with the question... Is it true these headphones will definitely sound much much better even if you use them with iPhones or Android phones? Or, they will be a total waste when they are not paired with high resolution songs or iFi those kind of gears?

This is only a question that I won't know what to do with your answers yet. I won't be able to sell my dogs or car to buy any of them - simply my curiosity before I win a lottery next month.

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/olive-ridley-turtle

You will find that most people drive these "high dollar" headphones with equally expensive amplifiers. If you mange to get to a Can Fest (where there are a dozen headphones in a single room) you are certain to hear some differences, but no one is driving those phones with a smart phone - and that is probably where you will find problems.

I use a little Fiio X5 for my custom Ultimate Ears IAMs and even those require an additional portable amp, the little amp in the Fiio just isn't enough to make the IAMs sound good. Same when I tried my iPhone, by itself it sounded okay (better that basic earbuds), but with an amplifier - much better :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

You will find that most people drive these "high dollar" headphones with equally expensive amplifiers. If you mange to get to a Can Fest (where there are a dozen headphones in a single room) you are certain to hear some differences, but no one is driving those phones with a smart phone - and that is probably where you will find problems.

I use a little Fiio X5 for my custom Ultimate Ears IAMs and even those require an additional portable amp, the little amp in the Fiio just isn't enough to make the IAMs sound good. Same when I tried my iPhone, by itself it sounded okay (better that basic earbuds), but with an amplifier - much better :)

Thanks for your reply. I get it now. It's like 1/100 of the cost of their ($$$) systems, why not?

Like this says here, right? Or, Micro iDSD .. Just wonder if these headphones driven by powerful amps could damage our ear drums more than the cheaper ones? My next question would be:

Can a powerful amp deliver great music to its listener with a so-so set of headphones? If so, I will like to get one powerful Amp before buying a powerful set of cans. I just haven't found a way to push the odds of lottery winning yet!

Cadela swims/moves/hears like an Olive Ridley turtle. She can't complain much, but can still audit audiophile equipments in her turtle speed.

Thanks for your reply. I get it now. It's like 1/100 of the cost of their ($$$) systems, why not?

Like this says here, right? Or, Micro iDSD .. Just wonder if these headphones driven by powerful amps could damage our ear drums more than the cheaper ones? My next question would be:

Can a powerful amp deliver great music to its listener with a so-so set of headphones? If so, I will like to get one powerful Amp before buying a powerful set of cans. I just haven't found a way to push the odds of lottery winning yet!

The amp only needs to be powerful enough to carry the load of the headphones, we're not talking speaker amplifiers. Different headphones have different impedence loads (a.k.a efficiency) and your amp will need to handle that. My little portable amp is perfect for my IAMs, and sound pretty good on an older pair of Senhouser 500's, but really doesn't have enough juice to fill the HD850s (they will play, just don't sound full - weak bass, no air at the top, etc.).

If you start looking at planer headphones, like the Audeze, you will find that they need the most power - within the headphone world.

Weak power is like putting skinny tires on your Ferrari, it will still get you from A to B but the driving pleasure is gone (not that I have a Ferrari, which I don't, but you get the point).

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

If you start looking at planer headphones, like the Audeze, you will find that they need the most power - within the headphone world.

Weak power is like putting skinny tires on your Ferrari, it will still get you from A to B but the driving pleasure is gone (not that I have a Ferrari, which I don't, but you get the point).

Thanks... Today I learned what planer headphones are, like Ferrari I learned about 30 years ago, all legendaries.... Realized that I better not know any of these because it'll make me want to work harder to buy them.... one bolt (of the tire) a time for my dream Ferrari as well... :) For now, portable AMP will be under my radar before a $$$ headphone because I think I can start enjoying musics sooner.

I have a HD800 that definitely improved with my acquisition of a Sennheiser HDVA600 amp vs the headphone amp of my DAC.

And don't even bother trying to drive a HD800 with a mobile device. Not enough power.

Impressed!! Admiring, too. I'm sure you are enjoying them right now.

d(-_-)b

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HDVA 600 Headphone Amplifier: Electronics

No offense... I am simply curious... Any of you actually experiences or owns any of the following headphones? (2011's report, of course the inflation and new gears/sec could change the list, nevertheless)?

Comparing World-Class Headphones | InnerFidelity

HeadAmp Blue Hawaii ($4995);

Apex Audio Pinnacle ($10,000);

Wadia 861SE CD Player ($9,950);

Stax Sr-009 ($5200);

Stax SR-007, Mk1 late version ($2600 for current MK2);

Sennheiser HD 800 ($1499);

Audez'e LCD-2 late Rev 1 ($995);

HiFiMAN HE-6 ($1199);

HiFiMAN HE-500 ($899);

Cardas Golden Reference interconnects ($840);

and Audio Power Industries Power Wedge Ultra line conditioner.

I thought the $300s are already beyond my ears' mental and physical capacities until I read this article and wonder DO THEY REALLY sound different than $300s? Not that I even own a $300 range headphone, then again, I know I have to feed hi-fi musics/songs to it.

Now, on with the question... Is it true these headphones will definitely sound much much better even if you use them with iPhones or Android phones? Or, they will be a total waste when they are not paired with high resolution songs or iFi those kind of gears?

This is only a question that I won't know what to do with your answers yet. I won't be able to sell my dogs or car to buy any of them - simply my curiosity before I win a lottery next month.

Add to your headphone list the new HiFiMan HE-1000 ($3,000). I have a pair and have directly compared them to the HE-560s (which I also have) and a pair of Stax SR-007s (power by a Stax SRM-007 amp) and a pair of Abyss AB-1266. The HE-1000 beats 'em all seven ways to sundown. The HE-1000s don't even sound like headphones. With a frequency response of from 8 Hz to 56 KHz they have killer bass, electrostatic-like midrange and highs, almost unbelievably low distortion, clarity, and focus. Tonality-wise, the HE-1000s and Stax SR-007 are very close, especially from about 60 Hz on up, but (and I can't account for this) the HiFiMan 'phones are much clearer, like somebody removed a veil from between the listener and the musicians.On top of all this, they have much faster transient response than the Stax (they ought to. The diaphragm is so thin that you can't even see it on edge with the naked eye. HiFiMan calls the diaphragm material nano-film). IOW, they're incredible sounding and the build quality is out of this world.

George

The HE-1000s don't even sound like headphones. With a frequency response of from 8 Hz to 56 KHz they have killer bass, electrostatic-like midrange and highs, almost unbelievably low distortion, clarity, and focus. Tonality-wise, the HE-1000s and Stax SR-007 are very close, especially from about 60 Hz on up, but (and I can't account for this) the HiFiMan 'phones are much clearer, like somebody removed a veil from between the listener and the musicians.On top of all this, they have much faster transient response than the Stax (they ought to. The diaphragm is so thin that you can't even see it on edge with the naked eye. HiFiMan calls the diaphragm material nano-film). IOW, they're incredible sounding and the build quality is out of this world.

Not sounding like headphones, HE-1000s... I imagine it sounds like real speakers to you, right? How interesting? 8 hz -> 56 kHz!!! And is that out of human's audio spectrum 20 Hz -> 20 kHz? (Am I close in interpreting it?) I think you also must be smiling even before you put them on! Thanks for sharing... I am enjoying your HE-1000 headphones even by reading your descriptions. (& try not to be too jealous.) :)

d(-_-)b

Add to your headphone list the new HiFiMan HE-1000 ($3,000). I have a pair and have directly compared them to the HE-560s (which I also have) and a pair of Stax SR-007s (power by a Stax SRM-007 amp) and a pair of Abyss AB-1266. The HE-1000 beats 'em all seven ways to sundown. The HE-1000s don't even sound like headphones. With a frequency response of from 8 Hz to 56 KHz they have killer bass, electrostatic-like midrange and highs, almost unbelievably low distortion, clarity, and focus. Tonality-wise, the HE-1000s and Stax SR-007 are very close, especially from about 60 Hz on up, but (and I can't account for this) the HiFiMan 'phones are much clearer, like somebody removed a veil from between the listener and the musicians.On top of all this, they have much faster transient response than the Stax (they ought to. The diaphragm is so thin that you can't even see it on edge with the naked eye. HiFiMan calls the diaphragm material nano-film). IOW, they're incredible sounding and the build quality is out of this world.

I like the sound of planar drivers from the Audeze LCD3. Been looking for a replacement for a while since the 550g LCD-3 are big, heavy and chunky although 480g for the HE-1000 is not that far off. Took me ages to get used to the weight, and I can't use them for long periods due to that problem.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I like the sound of planar drivers from the Audeze LCD3. Been looking for a replacement for a while since the 550g LCD-3 are big, heavy and chunky although 480g for the HE-1000 is not that far off. Took me ages to get used to the weight, and I can't use them for long periods due to that problem.

480g ~~ = 2 X 8oz Chobani Greek Yogurt + 1 stick of butter

550g ~~ 3 X 8oz Chobani Greek Yogurt

You get what you pay for it. I think. :) Someone should invent a spring support from the ceiling for these kinds of headphones - here goes my freebie for the inventors who are seeking for ideas to make $ and get rich!!

I just weighed mine, 280g. It usually hurts my ears after 2 straight hours of wearing. However, I strongly believe that the weight of these high end headphones should be evenly distributed around the head so users won't be bothered by the pressure points of gravity against their heads until at least a few hours later (> 4 hours?).

Compared to just about every other phone I've tried. the HE-1000s are the most comfortable. I find that I can wear them for hours and hardly even notice that they are there. I've had the LCD-3 on my head, and they are nowhere near as comfortable as the HE-1000 (they don't sound anywhere near as good either. But for the price difference, I would expect that).

George

Not sounding like headphones, HE-1000s... I imagine it sounds like real speakers to you, right? How interesting? 8 hz -> 56 kHz!!! And is that out of human's audio spectrum 20 Hz -> 20 kHz? (Am I close in interpreting it?) I think you also must be smiling even before you put them on! Thanks for sharing... I am enjoying your HE-1000 headphones even by reading your descriptions. (& try not to be too jealous.) :)

d(-_-)b

They do have a speaker-like aspect to them that I find very appealing and quite a departure from other headphones on the market today. Yes, they start below the range of human hearing and end quite a bit above it. meaning that they are probably more linear between 20 and 20KHz than are most phones (although I have no measurements to back that up and headphone frequency response is very hard measure accurately, anyway because, physically, all of our "outer ears" are different.).

George

The weight was one of the main reasons I took my Hd800 over an LCD-2. I can wear my Sennheisers for hours without any discomfort.

Although I must admit that the LCD-3 are pretty damn good. I only checked them out when shopping for my headphone amp i.e. after I just bought my HD800 but I agree they are in a way better than my Senns. That said, they are also less comfortable, and the resolution of my HD800 is exceptional making them especially appropriate for large scale classical works.

I'd be interested in checking out the HE-1000 at some point, see what more than twice the money of my HD800 gets you.