IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

I have to revise my quote above. I initially thought that the 2Qute sounded no different between the wallwort and the Acopian LPS.

After listening to the 2Qute with the LPS for several days, I went back to the wallwort and noticed that the bass did not sound as detailed as with the LPS. What I noticed the most was more clarity on bass guitar notes. It wasn't a night and day difference but there was a noticeable difference depending on the track being played.

Seems when you reach a certain level of fidelity and synergy with your system this is one of the best ways to evaluate changes (i.e., listen for a time then remove). Nice system al210.

Jason, I have but probably failed to report on it. The Hynes and JS-2 are identical on the 2Qute (which Rob Watts says is immune to 3rd party linears; just use the wallwart). Both provide a step up in sq that is less than what the Hynes did on the other Qute series stuff. But either is clearly worthwhile. However, on the exaSound the JS-2 is a better, more fluid and heftier sounding ps than the Hynes. Weird stuff.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm am so buried by all this. :)

I should point out, in fairness to the Hynes, that the JS-2 is a much heftier power supply, so no surprise that I would find it beefier or more weight on DACs that are affected. This is really not a slam against the Hynes as much as its a comparison of two very good but very different power supplies. One I bought for $190 used, the other goes for $925 (but is dual rail, as well). :) I'd compare the JS-2 to my much beefier SR7EHD Hynes but it currently powers my 19V music server.

Whether you are talking Paul Hynes or Uptone, you are comparing two extremely well built and well designed power supply options.

One I bought for $190 used, the other goes for $925 (but is dual rail, as well). :)

If you really want to be fair about it though the SR3 goes for more than $190 new which is what you're comparing to with the $925 price tag of the JS-2.

Further, one you can usually get within 45-60 days (JS-2) and the other (Hynes) people have waited literally a year or more. FWIW

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

If you really want to be fair about it though the SR3 goes for more than $190 new which is what you're comparing to with the $925 price tag of the JS-2.

Further, one you can usually get within 45-60 days (JS-2) and the other (Hynes) people have waited literally a year or more. FWIW

Yes, you are right about MSRP comparison, more like $500 (one rail) and $925 (two rail). But, in reality, the SR3-12 is available as a used unit and the JS-2 is hardly discounted (why would they). And you and I have already discussed here about availability; I brought it up on the JS-2 thread and you concurred. I think Paul is saying that he is getting his availability issues behind him, but we'll have to see.

USA LPS? Would prefer to avoid shipping/return complications

from Israel and Britain etc. Gotta b black. Budget $400.

thanks-

pb

Channel Island Audio. California.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Those are not 12 volt power supplies.

Not black!

If you email them, they will make you a VDC12 MKII (same price). The silver ones sound better than black anodized anyways!

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Regen/2Qute?

Posts from rocky,HumanMedia and Jimmypowder have noted

a deterioration of sq. mating the 2Qute and Regen. Absent

are the prevalent Regen raves. At best ted_b reports a step

up; not as much as other Qute series. The closeness of the usb

and rca inputs may pose connection complications that

contribute to the spotty performance reports. $ aside, does

the limited/non compatibility of Regen/2Qute imply a fault

or positive regarding the dac design?

pb-

Regen/2Qute?

At best ted_b reports a step

up; not as much as other Qute series.

No, my "not as substantial as the other Qutes in the series" was about the replacement of the stock wallwart with a Hynes or other 3rd party quality linear power supply. I have never tried the Regen on another Qute (HD or EX).

My apologies, if this has been answered before. I am thinking of getting the new Mac mini which has USB 3 connections. Should I expect a drop in sound quality with USB 3 vs USB 2 with my 2Qute?

- Auralic Aries Mini +SB LPS | Chord 2Qute +SB LPS | Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon | Sennheiser HD 800

- Apple TV 4 | Oppo BDP 105 | Marantz SR7008 | Polk LSIM 703 | Polk Audio LSiM 704c | Martin Logan Subwoofer | Sony Bravia LCD

- Rega Planar 3 | Audiomods Series V micrometer | Dynavector 20X2L | Aurealis Cinemag CM-1254 | Audio Alchemy PPA-1/PS-5 | Parasound Halo P 5 | Parasound Halo A21 | KEF LS50 | Rythmik Servo Subwoofer

No, my "not as substantial as the other Qutes in the series" was about the replacement of the stock wallwart with a Hynes or other 3rd party quality linear power supply. I have never tried the Regen on another Qute (HD or EX).

Apologies ted_b. I conflated your post #52 where you

discussed installing amber regen powered by JS-2

and powering the 2Qute with a Hynes SR13-12, which

you noted was a substantial improvment, with your

post #121 which evidently just dealt with the 2Qute

stock wallmart replacement. Too many posts for my

fading short term memory:) Looking forward to your

definitive review.

pb-

My apologies, if this has been answered before. I am thinking of getting the new Mac mini which has USB 3 connections. Should I expect a drop in sound quality with USB 3 vs USB 2 with my 2Qute?

I have the newest Mac mini and the 2Qute sounds fabulous with it. The USB 3 ports on the mini are backward compatible with 2.0 so go ahead with it. No drop out using local files and networked with HQ player.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

Thank you for replying.

- Auralic Aries Mini +SB LPS | Chord 2Qute +SB LPS | Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon | Sennheiser HD 800

- Apple TV 4 | Oppo BDP 105 | Marantz SR7008 | Polk LSIM 703 | Polk Audio LSiM 704c | Martin Logan Subwoofer | Sony Bravia LCD

- Rega Planar 3 | Audiomods Series V micrometer | Dynavector 20X2L | Aurealis Cinemag CM-1254 | Audio Alchemy PPA-1/PS-5 | Parasound Halo P 5 | Parasound Halo A21 | KEF LS50 | Rythmik Servo Subwoofer

I find that cymbals are generally one of the hardest instruments for digital to recreate realistically, since too often they are reproduced with an overall graininess instead of wood hitting metal and being able to capture their shimmer and natural decay. I can't wait to hear the upcoming top of the line Chord DAVE, with its designer and advanced technology I expect it to reach an entirely new standard in digital playback.

Remember, if you are playing a digital recording, the recording of cymbals itself is going to have the same type of problems (A/D conversion and filtering artifacts) which are generated on playback. So, to get good playback of cymbals on a digital recording, you are going to need avery special recording quality, and/or high res PCM or DSD.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Just received notice that my Regen shipped. Will be interesting to see if and how much it improves SQ. There have been mixed reports about how effective it is on the 2Qute.

Just received notice that my Regen shipped. Will be interesting to see if and how much it improves SQ. There have been mixed reports about how effective it is on the 2Qute.

nice. will be curious to hear your review of the twosome. I have an order for the

september regen batch. But in the mean time I am experimenting with using

a Teradak U9 LPS for the USB power isolated connection. The 2Qute itself is powered by a Channel Audio LPS.

There's a chance you may be disappointed if you use the supplied short USB cable. This should be avoided.

It seems as though it's only been the people who have been using this short cable that haven't been impressed with the REGEN.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

There's a chance you may be disappointed if you use the supplied short USB cable. This should be avoided.

It seems as though it's only been the people who have been using this short cable that haven't been impressed with the REGEN.

something like this will help us as it will will extend the supplied adapter just enough for us to get past the RCA connectors. It will take up more real estate but we avoid the shorty. I am going to try one.

USB Socket Saver, USB B-Male/USB-B Female - UAD027MF

Thanks for for the reminder.

something like this will help us as it will will extend the supplied adapter just enough for us to get past the RCA connectors. It will take up more real estate but we avoid the shorty. I am going to try one.

USB Socket Saver, USB B-Male/USB-B Female - UAD027MF

Thanks for the link. Ordered one up.

I know, they should have charged $100 for the adapter, the same as an audiophile USB cable then it would seem more inline with the prices of our hobby. (haha j/k) But there is a field on the order form where you can request USPS shipping which might be a little cheaper.