IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

I wanted to be a believer but the skeptic in me built this little Sigma11 LPS prior to 2Qute arrival. I ran unit with walwart during breakin but on about day four or five I noticed a significant increase in bass quantity, but it was fat and bloated in nature. This quality of bass was well beneath the $500 DAC it replaced.

I plugged in the Sigma LPS and the bass was transformed into world class, deep and articulate. No need for blind testing here, open and shut case. I am quite pleased with the DAC now, it has a very natural pleasing tone in its presentation of music but in my system the LPS is staying.

Reference point, your experience may vary.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19901[/ATTACH]

I noticed the increase in bass also. I also agree that the increased bass is sort of blurry. This is good news about adding an LPS vs the wall wart. Acopian LPS won't be here till Monday. So looking forward to testing with it.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

Posted on headfi

20 hours ago

Rob Watts

Unlike the original Qute, 2 Qute does not benefit sonically from having a different power supply. I compared the supplied PSU with a 12v 300A car battery and could hear no difference in SQ.

Some power supplies have damaged Qute as they do not output 12v but greater voltages - this will damage the protection circuitry.

Use of a different power supply will void Chord's warranty.

Rob

Posted on headfi

20 hours ago

Rob Watts

Unlike the original Qute, 2 Qute does not benefit sonically from having a different power supply. I compared the supplied PSU with a 12v 300A car battery and could hear no difference in SQ.

Some power supplies have damaged Qute as they do not output 12v but greater voltages - this will damage the protection circuitry.

Use of a different power supply will void Chord's warranty.

Rob

Yep, and then I posted after that.

"Wow, now that Chord has seemingly changed their policies on external power supplies (Chord was very aware of my use of different supplies on the Qute series and even published my reviews, without a word) I am less excited about my review summary for the 2Qute. Many here, including me, have found improvement with a better 12V (of course don't use anything but a 12V). Argh!"

Yep, and then I posted after that.

"Wow, now that Chord has seemingly changed their policies on external power supplies (Chord was very aware of my use of different supplies on the Qute series and even published my reviews, without a word) I am less excited about my review summary for the 2Qute. Many here, including me, have found improvement with a better 12V (of course don't use anything but a 12V). Argh!"

I ordered my 12 volt Acopian with output over voltage protection option.

Thats disappointing. Just ordered a Regen a week ago. Maybe I should cancel my order.

It sounded like he used the white extension cable. A lot of folks have reported that this harms the sound and should be avoided.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

It sounded like he used the white extension cable. A lot of folks have reported that this harms the sound and should be avoided.

Yes I did remember reading that. I'm not going to cancel. I'll give it a try when it comes. I have an Audioquest Cinnamon cable feeding my DAC right now. Maybe a short Supra would be they way to go. Mac mini - Audioquest - Regen - Supra -DAC. Read a lot of folks seem to like the Supra.

I ordered my 12 volt Acopian with output over voltage protection option.

Nice. Which model did you get if you don't mind saying? Will it come with the proper 2.1mm center positive connecting cable?

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

You have to use the extension cable with the 2Qute because of where USB is .

I found the 2Qute preferable without the Regen . I can't say that about any other Dac I've tried .

I'm using an Aries not a computer with that setup .

Nice. Which model did you get if you don't mind saying? Will it come with the proper 2.1mm center positive connecting cable?

It's Acopian's narrow profile series "A". A12TN110 Their "A" series are said to be (high performance) and the "B" series (general purpose). They do not come with a 2.1mm male plug. You need to get that elsewhere like Amazon or Ebay.

You have to use the extension cable with the 2Qute because of where USB is .

I found the 2Qute preferable without the Regen . I can't say that about any other Dac I've tried .

Yes you have to use an extension cable - but it should *not* be the white one that was included with the REGEN. Even Alex (superdad) warned of this.

Both REGEN and the 2Qute deserve a far better cable than that white one.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Slightly off topic: the wall-wart PS for my Chord QuteHD has disappeared. What would be a good replacement? Note that I have a Teddy Pardo PS I use with the Chord, but I want a replacement for the basic wall-wart PS. Thanks.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Regarding the reports of blurry bass after 4 days of breakin.

Anyone notice any smoothing out of the bass after the Ted

recommended 200-300 hrs. of breakin?

My interest in this dac and the yggdrasil stems from what I

perceived as sterility and listening fatigue from my previous

ESS 9018 Sabre chip dac. In this price range the tradeoff

for an analog sound seems to be a sacrifice of detail. I

switched from D power to a tube pre and tube hybrid amp

which made the Sabre listenable but still too digital. From

all I've read I suspect the Yggdrasil leans more toward the

Sabre than the 2qute. If only I could have both in my home

for a month with no restock fees.

pb-

Regarding the reports of "blurry" bass after 4 days of breakin. Anyone notice

any smoothing out of the bass after the Ted recommended 200-300 hrs. of

breakin?

My interest in this dac stems from what I perceived as sterility and listener

fatigue from my previous ESS 9018 Sabre dac. In this price range the

trade-off for an analog sound seems to be a sacrifice of detail. I switched

from D power to a tube pre and tube hybrid amp which made the Sabre

listenable but still too digital. From all I"ve read I suspect the Yggdrasil

leans more toward the Sabre than the 2qute. If only I could have both

in my home for a month with no restock fees.

pb-

I wouldn't call the 2Qute bass blurry. It has a natural sound and the dac doesn't overemphasize the bass

which would make it ,well unnatural.

Well any suggestions?

I would use something at least as good as the USB cable feeding the REGEN.

Check out the REGEN threads. I think a few have reported having good results with the Supra. But I think they are also feeding it with a Supra too.

I may not be the right person to ask though. My guess is that the 2Qute deserves a USB cable far better than the Supra, but I can't say for sure as I haven't heard either.

Regarding the reports of blurry bass after 4 days of breakin.

Anyone notice any smoothing out of the bass after the Ted

recommended 200-300 hrs. of breakin?

My interest in this dac and the yggdrasil stems from what I

perceived as sterility and listening fatigue from my previous

ESS 9018 Sabre chip dac. In this price range the tradeoff

for an analog sound seems to be a sacrifice of detail. I

switched from D power to a tube pre and tube hybrid amp

which made the Sabre listenable but still too digital. From

all I've read I suspect the Yggdrasil leans more toward the

Sabre than the 2qute. If only I could have both in my home

for a month with no restock fees.

pb-

I purchased the 2Qute for that very reason. I am Sabre shy cause of just those reports. The 2Qute does not disappoint in the natural sound arena. It has a liquid analog type sound but with all the detail one would hope for in a DAC of this caliber. I havent even thought of the word "fatigue" for a split second. Its very easy to listen too and has great tone. In my system I have no problem calling the bass fat, but the LPS turned it into the best and deepest most articulate bass I ever heard.

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

I purchased the 2Qute for that very reason. I am Sabre shy cause of just those reports. The 2Qute does not disappoint in the natural sound arena. It has a liquid analog type sound but with all the detail one would hope for in a DAC of this caliber. I havent even thought of the word "fatigue" for a split second. Its very easy to listen too and has great tone. In my system I have no problem calling the bass fat, but the LPS turned it into the best and deepest most articulate bass I ever heard.

I will let you know when the Yggy arrives , whenever that may be . I don't think even Schiit knows as

they seem to being having difficulty getting the dac chip integral to the Yggy .

OK. I'm entertaining the notion that this could offer the relief

I seek from post traumatic sabre disorder. Anyone, recommend

cool looking blk. LPS. Yeah its gotta be black, and look

cute wida qute.

pb

OK. I'm entertaining the notion that this could offer the relief

I seek from post traumatic sabre disorder. Anyone, recommend

cool looking blk. LPS. Yeah its gotta be black, and look

cute wida qute.

pb

This is the one I was going to buy before building my own, gets good reviews.

Mcru Fully Regulated Linear Power Supply Fits Chord Qutehd EX Peach DAC | eBay

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

Which Sabre-based DACs have you listened to?

I tried the Oppo HA-1. Gave it 3 weeks before sending it back. Just too brite and that's with it feeding my warm tube amp.

2Qute blew me away right out of the box.

2Qute continues to amaze! Just listened to James Taylor - Gorilla - Steve Hoffman master 24K gold cd ripped to flac.

Just amazing SQ. IDK how it could be any better.