IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

I find the 2qute to be natural and analog , far from bright and lean .tonal balance is quite good

I agree. 2nd day with 2Qute and it is not brite at all. The Oppo HA-1 I had before was much brighter (ESS 9018 chip) I thought the Oppo was pretty good until the 2Qute arrived. The music just sounds more real and there is more clarity without added brightness. Looping play list while I'm not home to speed up breakin in.

Did Ted say 300 hours for proper break- in?

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

Yeah, 300 hours is what I found with almost all the Qute and Hugo series. It's quite linear after about 200 hours.

I will detail more in my review, but last night I installed the Amber Regen into the 2Qute. My source is the HQPlayer NAA (Caps dn2800MT) with JCAT card, and the card is powered by a Red Wine modded Acopian linear 5V. Card filter is off. The Regen is powered by an Uptone JS-2 at 7V (I think, maybe 9). The 2Quet is powered by a Hynes SR3-12. The improvement was substantial, both in terms of noise floor and soundstage solidity, a remarkable achievement given the level of optimization already on the table. (Note: The Regen requires an umbilical since there is no room for it at the USB port; on the back panel of the 2Qute the space between the USB and RCA outputs is too tight to fit interconnects and the Regen body/adapter. A 90 degree adapter would work, leaving the Regen on its side)

HQplayer was not upsampling redbook, only 24 bit stuff to either 176 or 192. Poly sinc-short-mp.

Yeah, 300 hours is what I found with almost all the Qute and Hugo series. It's quite linear after about 200 hours.

I will detail more in my review, but last night I installed the Amber Regen into the 2Qute. My source is the HQPlayer NAA (Caps dn2800MT) with JCAT card, and the card is powered by a Red Wine modded Acopian linear 5V. Card filter is off. The Regen is powered by an Uptone JS-2 at 7V (I think, maybe 9). The 2Quet is powered by a Hynes SR3-12. The improvement was substantial, both in terms of noise floor and soundstage solidity, a remarkable achievement given the level of optimization already on the table. (Note: The Regen requires an umbilical since there is no room for it at the USB port; on the back panel of the 2Qute the space between the USB and RCA outputs is too tight to fit interconnects and the Regen body/adapter. A 90 degree adapter would work, leaving the Regen on its side)

HQplayer was not upsampling redbook, only 24 bit stuff to either 176 or 192. Poly sinc-short-mp.

Ted, has Rob Watts heard a regen yet? would be interesting to hear DAVE with regen!!

I Think I will be taking my regen along to Audio Show EAST in sept where DAVE will be playing

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

Reading between the lines.

1)2Qute does benefit from an improved power supply.

2)Ted chose to listen to PCM means DSD is just OK on the 2Qute.

3)Upsampling original source material before the 2Qute is detrimental.

2 Ch stereo

Auralic Aries>Wireworld AES>Kitsune Holo Spring DAC L3>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>Sonic Euphoria (fully balance autoformer)>Van Den Hul-The Second balance cable>D-Sonic M3-1200S-A (Anaview AMS1000-2600)>Synergistic Tesla Accelerator cable>Ohm 3000 speakers plus Omni Harmonizer super tweeter

When you say umbilical ,are you using the extension cord provided with the Regen ?

Good new as I have a Regen on order. Should be part of the August shipping group. 2Qute is already amazing to me and your report on the additional benefits of adding the Regen makes me feel good about dropping the $ on one.

I just received my 2Qute this week and have the following experiences.

Background: Previous setup was QuteHD with Channel Island VDC 12 MKII Linear power supply, Audiophilleo with PurePower battery SPDIF converter. Pass XA30.8 amp with MBP source and Audirvana 2.1.1. This setup was very satisfying for me, very revealing and pleasant listening. The latest 1.35 firmware for the Audiophillieo was an improvement that was audible. I also use an Audio Revive virtual grounding device connected to the grounding pin on the Qute.

Day 1: Ditched the Audiophilleo and Linear PSU and went plain 2Qute with a USB connection. My first impression was that the virgin 2Qute USB was on par and maybe better than the full QuteHD-CIAudio-AP-PP setup and I was ecstatic that my setup was so simplified now.

Day 2: Experimented with going back to the Audiophilleo-PurePower setup to the Coax digital input on the 2Qute and still on the wallwart PSU. It clearly was not as good as the USB connection. I went back to the USB input after a few hours.

Day 3: Unlisted my sale for the Channel Island VDC 12 MKII PSU and hooked it up to the 2Qute even though the Chord designer said a PSU would not benefit the 2Qute. I do not know what to say but I am not going back to the wall wart. Norah Jones just sounds so very good on this setup. Even the Chris Cornell MP3 album touted on the front page of this forum sounds awesome.

Day 4: Ordered an iFi Purifier to see if it can help out the direct USB connection.

Summary: The 2Qute is definitely an improvement over my QuteHD setup. I almost wish I had kept my First Watt J2 Amp to try out on this setup. Granted that this device is not broken in yet and acknowledged that one week of listening is not critical listening.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Background: Previous setup was QuteHD with Channel Island VDC 12 MKII Linear power supply, Audiophilleo with PurePower battery SPDIF converter. Pass XA30.8 amp with MBP source and Audirvana 2.1.1. This setup was very satisfying for me, very revealing and pleasant listening. The latest 1.35 firmware for the Audiophillieo was an improvement that was audible. I also use an Audio Revive virtual grounding device connected to the grounding pin on the Qute.

Day 1: Ditched the Audiophilleo and Linear PSU and went plain 2Qute with a USB connection. My first impression was that the virgin 2Qute USB was on par and maybe better than the full QuteHD-CIAudio-AP-PP setup and I was ecstatic that my setup was so simplified now.

Day 2: Experimented with going back to the Audiophilleo-PurePower setup to the Coax digital input on the 2Qute and still on the wallwart PSU. It clearly was not as good as the USB connection. I went back to the USB input after a few hours.

Day 3: Unlisted my sale for the Channel Island VDC 12 MKII PSU and hooked it up to the 2Qute even though the Chord designer said a PSU would not benefit the 2Qute. I do not know what to say but I am not going back to the wall wart. Norah Jones just sounds so very good on this setup. Even the Chris Cornell MP3 album touted on the front page of this forum sounds awesome.

Day 4: Ordered an iFi Purifier to see if it can help out the direct USB connection.

Summary: The 2Qute is definitely an improvement over my QuteHD setup. I almost wish I had kept my First Watt J2 Amp to try out on this setup. Granted that this device is not broken in yet and acknowledged that one week of listening is not critical listening.

Please give some comment on the grounding device on the DAC (generally, not necessarily on 2qute).

Say NO to ROON

Similar experience on about day 4-5. I was listening with the walwart during break in, and thought the bass was abundant but loose or muddy. I plugged in my newly built Sigma11 LPS and cleaned the bass right up. Now the bass is deep and tight and equals the rest of the DAC's resolution. The sound now is very good and will never return to the walwart. I was starting to question my purchase a little bit. This replaced an AudioGD NFB2, right off the bat the 2qute was slightly better but now its in whole another league. The sound is very easy to listen, no fatigue even during break in. It has a liquid type analog sound that is very tight, no over extended decay whatsoever. This type of presentation could be analytical but the 2qute is clearly the most musical DAC I have heard.

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

I found that the ifi purifier was detrimental to sound quality in my setup . I will probably buy a Regen for my 2qute.

I found that the ifi purifier was detrimental to sound quality in my setup . I will probably buy a Regen for my 2qute.

After thinking about this more last night I decided to cancel the iFi order because in this case, less is best I think. The only cables in my setup are the Kimber Silver Strands from 2Qute to Amp and a Wireworld Ultraviolet from my Mac to the 2Qute. The ifi is some mysterious device that I do not need.

Please give some comment on the grounding device on the DAC (generally, not necessarily on 2qute).

I really cannot comment yet as I have not listened without it. I don't expect I could discern a difference but it is that OCD thing where I know its there so it must be doing something, good hopefully. These things are popular in Japan where their electricity supply is not so clean to the endpoints. This device reduces the electrical current potential of the chassis. It is easy to connect and disconnect so I will give it a try.

The company is actually called ACOUSTIC REVIVE and the product is called the RGC-24.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Have been listening now for a week and a half.

• Have noticed a little more detail at about the 100 hour mark. I think this is due to the 2Qute opening up a bit. Hearing things in some tracks that I did not notice new out of the box.
  • Bass level seems higher as well
  • My redbook rips to FLAC have never sounded this good.
  • music just has an overall real feeling to it.

Will be testing performance with an Acopian linear gold power supply next.

How do I determine if the 2qutes 3V out will be problematical

with my preamp? I have an Audio by Van Alstein Fet Valve

CF Vacume tube preamplifier. Tomorow I will contact the

manufacturer. What preamp stats are relevent? According

to a previous ted_b post on another thread 3V out can

be a problem to some preamps.

thanks,

pb-

How do I determine if the 2qutes 3V out will be problematical

with my preamp? I have an Audio by Van Alstein Fet Valve

CF Vacume tube preamplifier. Tomorow I will contact the

manufacturer. What preamp stats are relevent? According

to a previous ted_b post on another thread 3V out can

be a problem to some preamps.

thanks,

pb-

The preamp stat most relevant is input sensitivity or input voltage, measured usually as N V RMS (N being 2 volt in some preamps, like my Concert Fidelity). However, I have not experienced clipping even though the 2Qute is supposedly 3V out.

The preamp stat most relevant is input sensitivity or input voltage, measured usually as N V RMS (N being 2 volt in some preamps, like my Concert Fidelity). However, I have not experienced clipping even though the 2Qute is supposedly 3V out.

Thanks Ted. I received the following email response from the preamp manufacturer. "Because the volume control in the preamp is ahead of the line section, you can't overload the line section of the preamp from too high a input signal from the DAC. You just set the volume control for appropriate output level. That is the purpose of a properly designed preamplifier, the volume control reduces th signal from the high output DAC down to normal listening levels. The volume control is a simple voltage divider so it can reduce the signal level without affecting its fidelity at all." Does this coincide with your experience?

pb-

Ted , I found the 2Qute preferable in my system without the Regen Amber . Maybe it's the galvanic isolation or the fact you need to use the extension cord with the 2Qute .

I love the Uptone Amber Regen just not with the 2Qute .

Ted , I found the 2Qute preferable in my system without the Regen Amber . Maybe it's the galvanic isolation or the fact you need to use the extension cord with the 2Qute .

I love the Uptone Amber Regen just not with the 2Qute .

Thats disappointing. Just ordered a Regen a week ago. Maybe I should cancel my order.

Going to to try a linear PS on the 2Qute hopefully this weekend if it arrives tomorrow.

Thats disappointing. Just ordered a Regen a week ago. Maybe I should cancel my order.

Going to to try a linear PS on the 2Qute hopefully this weekend if it arrives tomorrow.

This is not meant as a personal comment, more a general observation about mods to brand new hi fi kit as opposed to general purpose computing.

I believe that Rob Watts has advised against using different power supplies with the 2Qute.

If we accept that Rob knows what he is doing, designing a newly released DAC intended for USB connection in what must be a very competitive market, it looks illogical that SQ could be improved significantly simply by adding an LPS or even a Regen for that matter. If it did, surely Rob would be aware and it would have been very cheap and easy for Chord to include such technology from the outset and steal an even bigger lead over the competition?

I have two Amber Regens and they made significant positive audio improvements with most dacs and particularly with computer to Dac setups .

I just didn't see the improvement attaching one to a 2Qute in my setup .

I'm using a Primaluna Amp and Auralic Aries with the 2Qute .

Ted indicated he saw sound improvement with the Regen and 2Qute in his setup so

maybe in your setup it will improve audio quality .

This is not meant as a personal comment, more a general observation about mods to brand new hi fi kit as opposed to general purpose computing.

I believe that Rob Watts has advised against using different power supplies with the 2Qute.

If we accept that Rob knows what he is doing, designing a newly released DAC intended for USB connection in what must be a very competitive market, it looks illogical that SQ could be improved significantly simply by adding an LPS or even a Regen for that matter. If it did, surely Rob would be aware and it would have been very cheap and easy for Chord to include such technology from the outset and steal an even bigger lead over the competition?

I wanted to be a believer but the skeptic in me built this little Sigma11 LPS prior to 2Qute arrival. I ran unit with walwart during breakin but on about day four or five I noticed a significant increase in bass quantity, but it was fat and bloated in nature. This quality of bass was well beneath the $500 DAC it replaced.

I plugged in the Sigma LPS and the bass was transformed into world class, deep and articulate. No need for blind testing here, open and shut case. I am quite pleased with the DAC now, it has a very natural pleasing tone in its presentation of music but in my system the LPS is staying.

Reference point, your experience may vary.

lps 001.JPG

coatrack 008.JPG

I'm not sure why one would advise against using a better power supply. I could see it the other way around. It may be that the cost of adding such a power supply negates the cost vs SQ improvement argument. DAC companies have a SQ/price point to try and keep with so many DACs manufactures out there. Adding builtin devices such as a Regen type circuit or better power supply may make the device too costly thus making it not as competitive.

Rob dos not advise against using one, he advises that it is a waste of time. He believes the 2Qute power supply to be all you need, and tried to one-up it with a car-battery sized equivalent...to no avail. He has come around to the fact that our Qute HD reports of better sonics through Hynes-like linear power make some sense, and that its successor, the Qute EX was susceptible as well, to a slightly lesser extent. In both cases he sees their use as somewhat immaterial to the whole setup, but I have argued otherwise.

In the 2Qute I find the use of the Hynes to also make an improvement, but even less that that of the Qute EX (i.e Rob is right that it's getting less important). But, for me...important enough that I use it. I'm not yet sure I would say it is worth the invetment of a Hynes ps, but since it was laying around for the test I used it. I will have a definite answer for my review. I'm leaning "yes it's worth it" (I stole my Hynes SR3-12 used for $190 4 years ago).

I'm not sure why one would advise against using a better power supply. I could see it the other way around. It may be that the cost of adding such a power supply negates the cost vs SQ improvement argument. DAC companies have a SQ/price point to try and keep with so many DACs manufactures out there. Adding builtin devices such as a Regen type circuit or better power supply may make the device too costly thus making it not as competitive.

Right, my diy LPS was close to $200 to build and also hooked up to $450 power cord. The price of SQ improvement is very subjective.