IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

I thought they were readily also also but I think most dealers dont actually stock item but order it from the distributor Bluebird. When I placed my order Bluebird only had a silver unit. "The new black units arriving next week" turned into a 3 week wait. They should have stock again now.

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

Received 2Qute today. It's small!

Initial impression is wow. This is after demoing an Oppo HA-1 for the last 3 weeks.

1. More analog sounding then the Oppo's ESS based chip
  2. larger sound stage
  3. superior clarity without fatigue

Just finished listening to Boney James - Futuresole - 96/24. This sounded good on the Oppo but the sound of the 2Qute is in another league. The sax sounds as if I could reach out and touch it and this is only in the first several hours of listening.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

Received 2Qute today. It's small!

Initial impression is wow. This is after demoing an Oppo HA-1 for the last 3 weeks.

1. More analog sounding then the Oppo's ESS based chip
  2. larger sound stage
  3. superior clarity without fatigue

Just finished listening to Boney James - Futuresole - 96/24. This sounded good on the Oppo but the sound of the 2Qute is in another league. The sax sounds as if I could reach out and touch it and this is only in the first several hours of listening.

Yeah I know . I got mine yesterday and at its price level I've not heard a better dac .

Yeah I know . I got mine yesterday and at its price level I've not heard a better dac .

Yes, so far very impressed and can only get better with break in. I'm running HQ player from my Mac mini. Not sure if best to up sample in HQ player or just send the native rate to the 2Qute. I thought I read somewhere that you need to up sample in HQ player for the best SQ.

I have had this DAC for a few months and really love it. I am now taking a break from upgrades for a while.

As for using HQ player of any other player to up-sample, I would expect it to be detrimental to the sound, or at least counter productive to the way the 2QUTE processes music.

The DAC uses the WTA algorithm with 26,368 taps. If you send an up-sampled stream, a large number of this taps will be data calculated by the player and not original recording data. I cannot imagin that the WTA algorithm can have its intended results with a large percentage of the data not being real samples.

Cheer

Well I did a brief comparison of the 2Qute's USB vs Coaxial input

This was using the Auralic Aries .

The USB is noticeably better . Of course I do also believe the Aries' best output is USB

If I was gonna use the 2Qute 's coax only I would not buy this dac but USB is terrific

USB much more musical , no treble harshness , notes have much more weight and yet

Are more detailed .

Well I did a brief comparison of the 2Qute's USB vs Coaxial input

This was using the Auralic Aries .

The USB is noticeably better . Of course I do also believe the Aries' best output is USB

If I was gonna use the 2Qute 's coax only I would not buy this dac but USB is terrific

USB much more musical , no treble harshness , notes have much more weight and yet

Are more detailed .

Yes, not a fair fight. 2Qute's USB is galvanically isolated, and Aries digital outs (all of them) are nothing more than converted from USB. However, for a coax input at least Chord offers DoP. Several still don't.

Yes, not a fair fight. 2Qute's USB is galvanically isolated, and Aries digital outs (all of them) are nothing more than converted from USB. However, for a coax input at least Chord offers DoP. Several still don't.

I agree it's not a fair fight . This is one terrific dac . I look forward to your review .

Interested if anyone can compare 2Qute and Hugo on USB input. Definitely prefer the coaxial input on my Hugo, for PCM and DSD64.

Also interested to learn how the different implementation of power supplies in the 2 DACs translates into SQ.

and Aries digital outs (all of them) are nothing more than converted from USB.

Interesting comment Ted: just to clarify / confirm are you saying that essentially the Aries has a built in USB to SPDIF / AES / TOSLink converter?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Interested if anyone can compare 2Qute and Hugo on USB input. Definitely prefer the coaxial input on my Hugo, for PCM and DSD64.

Also interested to learn how the different implementation of power supplies in the 2 DACs translates into SQ.

Cant compare the 2 since I only own the 2Qute but the 2Qute should be much better since it has it's USB galvanic isolated.

I have it connected to my Mac Mini with an Audioquest Cinnamon cable and it is pitch black during quiet/pause passages in the music. Using the stock power cube that came with the 2Qute.

Interesting comment Ted: just to clarify / confirm are you saying that essentially the Aries has a built in USB to SPDIF / AES / TOSLink converter?

Eloise

I also very curious. Because to me USB output on the Aries is veiled in comparison and USB output from MAC mini. And several users reported that Aries Coax was better...

I prefer the 2Qute's USB, but the fight, once again, is not fair, in that I have to add a MicroUSB adapter for our friend Hugo. Combine that with galvanic isolation and the removal of any cable adapters (I had to use a headphone 1/4" to rca for Hugo). Hugo's only real continued advantage is being off the grid.

Eloise

Yes. a good one. USB should trump all (assuming equivalent level of cable quality, etc). But DAC inputs aren't created equal, either.

I have had this DAC for a few months and really love it. I am now taking a break from upgrades for a while.

As for using HQ player of any other player to up-sample, I would expect it to be detrimental to the sound, or at least counter productive to the way the 2QUTE processes music.

The DAC uses the WTA algorithm with 26,368 taps. If you send an up-sampled stream, a large number of this taps will be data calculated by the player and not original recording data. I cannot imagin that the WTA algorithm can have its intended results with a large percentage of the data not being real samples.

Cheer

Excellent point. I have tried to use either DSD128 or PCM 352k for HQPlayer's default upsampling but the 2Qute doesn't respond as well as just going native. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Thx

I also very curious. Because to me USB output on the Aries is veiled in comparison and USB output from MAC mini. And several users reported that Aries Coax was better...

I would have to differ with those who say the Aries coax is better than the USB output .

Add a USB Regen to your Dac and I prefer the USB output of the Aries even more .

With the 2Qute I noticed that I preferred the USB input without a Ifi Purifier attached that I had hanging around . The purifier seemed to hurt the sound quality . With most dacs this doesn't happen .

Both my Regens are on different systems so I will have to swap out one and try it with the 2qute.

Thank you Ted for you insights. If I may ask further.

Have you tried the Regen with the 2Qute? (on a Mobo?)

Would you consider the power capabilities of the 2Qute an advantage over the Hugo? (In terms of a desktop unit only)

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Two questions:

1) How does the 2Qute compare with the original Qute? I have that one and have been very happy with it.

2) Would an external linear power supply that works with the Qute also work with the 2Qute? I have a King Rex LPS, and that certainly improved the original Chord DAC.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you Ted for you insights. If I may ask further.

Have you tried the Regen with the 2Qute? (on a Mobo?)

Would you consider the power capabilities of the 2Qute an advantage over the Hugo? (In terms of a desktop unit only)

Trying the Regen tonight or tmrw (2Qute was back on the back burner while I tested a couple other dacs). And you bring up a test I want to do very soon and chatted with Alex this week about: does the Regen make a stock mobo USB out the equivalent of an expensive 3rd party PCIe USB card (JCAT, SOtM, etc) sans Regen. I already know that a Regen can be cumulative to a 3rd party card's benefit, but not everyone has the money or real estate needed to install a separate USB card.

Two questions:

1) How does the 2Qute compare with the original Qute? I have that one and have been very happy with it.

2) Would an external linear power supply that works with the Qute also work with the 2Qute? I have a King Rex LPS, and that certainly improved the original Chord DAC.

1) The earlier Qute series (HD, EX) is based on a completely different FPGA generation (10k taps). The new 2Qute is a Hugo (26k taps) in a desktop box. It is quite a bit better, as it should be.

2) Yes, same power requirement and same barrel size.

Trying the Regen tonight or tmrw (2Qute was back on the back burner while I tested a couple other dacs). And you bring up a test I want to do very soon and chatted with Alex this week about: does the Regen make a stock mobo USB out the equivalent of an expensive 3rd party PCIe USB card (JCAT, SOtM, etc) sans Regen. I already know that a Regen can be cumulative to a 3rd party card's benefit, but not everyone has the money or real estate needed to install a separate USB card.

This should be interesting . Ted , do you have a Yggy coming in anytime soon ?

I will be making a comparison later this month or early August .

1) The earlier Qute series (HD, EX) is based on a completely different FPGA generation (10k taps). The new 2Qute is a Hugo (26k taps) in a desktop box. It is quite a bit better, as it should be.

2) Yes, same power requirement and same barrel size.

1) Yet, the newer version sounds leaner and brighter than the old series, which is not to everyone's liking. I loved the QuteHD but really didn't care for the Hugo.

Would you say the 2Qute is closer to the Hugo or the old Qute in terms of tonal balance? The first review (posted few months ago) said the Hugo and 2Qute were not exactly the same on that aspect, which is promising.

1) Yet, the newer version sounds leaner and brighter than the old series, which is not to everyone's liking. I loved the QuteHD but really didn't care for the Hugo.

Would you say the 2Qute is closer to the Hugo or the old Qute in terms of tonal balance? The first review (posted few months ago) said the Hugo and 2Qute were not exactly the same on that aspect, which is promising.

I find the 2qute to be natural and analog , far from bright and lean .tonal balance is quite good