IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

5 minutes ago, stevebrock said:

yep i understand now - getting there just all new to me & i am learning 

thanks 

No problem, my word is not final, there are differing opinions.  Read and search on the forum for other solutions.  Our only similarities is our DAC.  Your system may find better solutions elsewhere?  But the power supply on the DAC is a big one, I would start there if you can swallow the cost.  The great thing about it, you can take your time and make changes as you see fit, while enjoying the sounds of your system.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

But to be honest to take the full advantage from the 2qute you need a Microrendu. Believe me that you will not recognise your DAC. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Yes, a NAA such as the mRendu is another solution with it complexities.  Since you use Roon, you may want to go this route.  Better in my opinion, because of better clocking, wait for the new sms-200Ultra, another NAA renderer.

The best thing about the 2Qute is it's ability to be so good without any tweaks. 

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 minute ago, soares said:

But to be honest to take the full advantage from the 2qute you need a Microrendu. Believe me that you will not recognise your DAC. 

In retrospect, the 2Qute (in my system) seemed lifeless until I introduced the SOtM sMS-200 streamer. Not that it isn't a great DAC on its own, but you are doing it a disservice by feeding it from your PC/laptop. Things went to another level still when I introduced Wyred4Sound's PS-1, which powers both the 2Qute and sMS-200.

I just ordered the Hugo2...so I'll try to report out after comparing the 2Qute, Mojo and Hugo2. I'm very curious how the 2Qute holds up against the new Hugo2. The 2Qute is a really great DAC. I'm skeptical things can get much better without spending thousands more.

1 minute ago, guerph said:

I just ordered the Hugo2...so I'll try to report out after comparing the 2Qute, Mojo and Hugo2. I've very curious how the 2Qute holds up against the new Hugo2.

Fantastic, guerph.  Look forward to your comparison.  I have no doubt the Hugo 2 will be superior in SQ.  Thus I look forward to a 3Qute to follow with those superior Hugo 2 components and better power supply ability for desktop.  I'm not a big fan of the Lipo battery power supply on the Chord DACs for desktop only use, it's a limiting factor.  For mobility, by all means, yes.

Instead of the USB hard adapters, you might want to consider the short Curious usb 200mm Regen Link. I have two of them. In fact, one of the Curious links is custom made for sMS-200 and 2Qute. The sMS-200 has a vertical USB port, so I asked the folks at Curious to make me a 200mm cable with vertical USB A on one end to reduce strain on cable.  

2 hours ago, stevebrock said:

Hi everyone - 

Im new to this site 

currently using macbook pro > room > usb (out the box)  > 2qute DAC

my questions are :

what is Intona ? what is Regen ?

is there an improvement by buying a dedicated USB cable ( chord, VDH etc ) also power supply ?

thanks 

PS love the DAC it sounds great with Primare amps 

If you already love the sound go ahead and enjoy it.

There are approximately an infinite number of USB cables to choose from.  I like mine, everyone else likes theirs.  Read posts on the forum here, see who likes the same kind of stuff you do, and try the cable(s) they're using.

Elvia told you something about the Intona, Regen, and upcoming Iso Regen.  You've got time, so again, take a while to look through the forum and see whether any of these sounds like something you want or need.  Same with power supplies.

Lots of people and opinions, and you don't need to learn everything in a day.  So learn and ask questions as you go.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 5 weeks later...

anyone having issues playing DSDs from an Auralic Aries to a 2Qute?

and/or does someone know which DoP setting should I use: 0x05/FA or 0xAA?

thanks

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

ok... let me try again:

anyone having issues (hiccups) playing DSDs using 2Qute's s/pdif in?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

53 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

ok... let me try again:

anyone having issues (hiccups) playing DSDs using 2Qute's s/pdif in?

Nobody answers because far and few use the BNC input.  Most USB (my preference), and some optical.  I have problems with 2Qute because I need to use it as a preamp.  With the limited one op-amp up to 3V (line level) and having to use JRiver for volume control, I find I need to convert DSD on the fly to PCM 192, in order to control volume digitally.  If I try to convert to PCM 384, no good, my system chokes with dropouts and garbled volume.  I'm using ASIO Chord driver.

thanks @ElviaCaprice

I'm trying to troubleshoot hiccups when playing DSDs from Roon (no issue with PCM up to 192 and DSD 64 DoP is just 176,4)

my usual setup is Qnap HS-251 > Mac mini (Roon) > Aries femto > USB Regen > Audiophilleo SE > 2Qute

looks all is fine if I pull the Audiophilleo (and use 2Qute's USB in) but still... can't get if real culprit is the Audiophilleo itself (which should not, as it doesn't even know about PCM or DSD: it only knows about bitrate!) or 2Qute's s/pdif :|

headphones system:

12 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

thanks @ElviaCaprice

I'm trying to troubleshoot hiccups when playing DSDs from Roon (no issue with PCM up to 192)

my usual setup is Qnap HS-251 > Mac mini (Roon) > Aries femto > USB Regen > Audiophilleo SE > 2Qute

looks all is fine if I pull the Audiophilleo but still... can't get if real culprit is the Audiophilleo itself (which should not, as it doesn't even know about PCM or DSD: it only knows about bitrate!) or 2Qute's s/pdif :|

Shouldn't be a problem with the BNC inputs, it accepts everything the USB does, 384 PCM and 128 DOP.  Try seeing if USB direct has the same problem, at least you'll know if it's streaming correctly from the Aries w/Roon.  Make sure Roon is bypassing any volume control.

• 1 month later...
On 19.04.2017 at 9:34 PM, guerph said:

I just ordered the Hugo2...so I'll try to report out after comparing the 2Qute, Mojo and Hugo2. I'm very curious how the 2Qute holds up against the new Hugo2. The 2Qute is a really great DAC. I'm skeptical things can get much better without spending thousands more.

So, have you had a chance to compare Hugo2 with 2Qute ?

I'm wander what's difference as I'm thinking to buy 2Qute.

4 hours ago, ttimon said:

So, have you had a chance to compare Hugo2 with 2Qute ?

I'm wander what's difference as I'm thinking to buy 2Qute.

Buying a new 2Qute (or TT) seems like a bad idea to me now that Hugo 2 is available. Better wait for the updated models because both are based on the original Hugo. On the other hand, buying them second hand may be a good option because prices will drop when there successors will be announced! Performance wise I expect (and a lot of first impressions I read point that way) Hugo 2 will crush 2Qute on all aspects despite it's lack of galvanic isolation.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

I bought the 2qute, almost brand new, full waranty this Spring for $900.  It is far better than my previous Hugo (warranty replaced new then sold), especially with a great LPS.  Personnally I do not like the sound signature of batteries and thus will avoid any Chord Lipo battery DACs.  I will wait for the 3Qute to enjoy the new Hugo2 guts.  

Another great feature of the Chord DACs is their superior amp section.  Take advantage of this amp with a highly efficient speaker, such as the Omega.  

Also note, the ISO Regen works great with all Chord DACs.

19 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Another great feature of the Chord DACs is their superior amp section.  Take advantage of this amp with a highly efficient speaker, such as the Omega.....

Maybe a stupid question : how is your 2Qute directly connected to your speakers? The 2Qute does not have speaker terminals. My 2Qute is connected to a passive preamp and then to my power amp (Audionote Conqueror 8W to Quad ESL988). I use Jremote to fine tune the volume.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

23 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Some users of Hugo and DAVE were using adapters like these as well, they should also work for 2Qute.....

Thank you @seeteeyou. I suspected that I would need special cable adapters. I will ask my local Hifi dealer if he can make similar ones.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

On 6/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, ElviaCaprice said:

Another great feature of the Chord DACs is their superior amp section.  Take advantage of this amp with a highly efficient speaker, such as the Omega.  

Also note, the ISO Regen works great with all Chord DACs.

How do you control the volume ?

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

3 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

How do you control the volume ?

JRiver does a great job with Rob's single amp op.  Here is my speaker/interconnect cables I built for about $16 total.  Here is my comment and photos in the DIY cable thread.  I highly recommend efficient speakers like Omega.  Once you drive them with a Chord DAC you will never go back to a separate amp.

I know they are not efficient speakers but do you think the 2Qute would drive LS3/5a's to low volume levels without amplfication? Would I risk damaging anything if I tried?

Main system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> Chord 2Qute (USB in) --> Cyrus 2 + PSX --> Rogers LS3/5a

Second system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> AR-T Legato --> Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 --> Cyrus 8 vs2 --> Harbeth LS3/5a

7 hours ago, jvs said:

I know they are not efficient speakers but do you think the 2Qute would drive LS3/5a's to low volume levels without amplfication? Would I risk damaging anything if I tried?

Are not those speakers active?  If passive, it won't hurt to try.  Can always add an amp later.

Yes, passive. The old BBC monitors, in this case by Rogers

Main system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> Chord 2Qute (USB in) --> Cyrus 2 + PSX --> Rogers LS3/5a

Second system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> AR-T Legato --> Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 --> Cyrus 8 vs2 --> Harbeth LS3/5a