IGNORED

What's your take on Pure Audio Blu-ray Discs?

I've got nearly a dozen titles and i gotta say, I'm very happy with the format sonically.

Rush....A Farewell to Kings is especially nice.

Anthony

What titles do you have, and are they better than 16/48 resolution, or Dolby Audio ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have not had the pleasure of hearing any. They have a number of things in the available titles I might like. I do look at the price and go OUCH! Even so some of the titles I would buy if they are excellent versions.

Are you listening to mostly surround formats in those or is stereo PCM really good on them too?

Hey Alex,

Can be up to 9.1 surround and 192/24. Many of the 2 channel ones listed show 96/24, but mayhem13 can tell us what he has of course. Uncompressed too.

http://www.pureaudio-bluray.com/concept/

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hi Dennis

I know what they are capable of, but just like with some Hi Res DLs, I don't trust their provenance unless it is clearly stated .

Some Video editing programs even allow you to convert Stereo to 5.1.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Hi Dennis

I know what they are capable of, but just like with some Hi Res DLs, I don't trust their provenance unless it is clearly stated .

Depends on your source. For example, the BD-As from 2L and Sono Luminos are real multichannel, uniformly excellent and in real 24/192.

So what? I cannot imagine that any automated process can product good results.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

So what? I cannot imagine that any automated process can product good results.

That was my point !!! How do we know that in some cases the "Majors" haven't done just that ?

Can't speak to the provenance of the hi res PCM stereo mixes other than some were specifically remastered such as GYBR Elton John by Ludwig. Mostly listen to the PCM 24/96 stereo tracks but the 5.1 tracks can be equally good if not better IMO. My HT isn't run of the mill though but a dedicated hi end space purpose built.

I recently bought the Solti ring cycle on single BD, the SQ is very good indeed. The few other discs I have came as "bonus" inclusions with SACDs (or maybe other way round?) but don't sound quite as good.

Like to know how you can rip from Blu Ray, I presume I just can't use EAC?

That was my point !!! How do we know that in some cases the "Majors" haven't done just that ?
I missed the snarky smiley. Of course, one cannot and, therefore, I stick to ones where the provenance is known but, mostly, to BD-As that are newly recorded for the medium.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I missed the snarky smiley. Of course, one cannot and, therefore, I stick to ones where the provenance is known but, mostly, to BD-As that are newly recorded for the medium.

This forum could do with a decent set of "Smileys"as many other Forums have !

This forum could do with a decent set of "Smileys"as many other Forums have !

Amen to that. More varied smilies.....PLEASE.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I recently bought the Solti ring cycle on single BD, the SQ is very good indeed. The few other discs I have came as "bonus" inclusions with SACDs (or maybe other way round?) but don't sound quite as good.

On a Mac, I use MakeMKV to decrypt the disc and DVD Audio Extractor to rip.

I am quite happy with Blu-ray although for audio-only recordings I prefer SACD and DSD downloads. The advantage of Blu-ray for me is high resolution audio combined with high resolution videos especially of great concerts.

Thus, I have only one Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc:

Ravel - Orchestral Works (Carlo Rizzi, Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) on Tacet Blu-ray recorded and presented at 24/96 PCM.

I have only one audio/video Blu-Ray at 24/96 PCM

AIX Records 3D Music Album Demo & Audio Calibration Disc which are 24/96 PCM recordings.

I have ten other audio/video Blu-Ray's most are 20/48kHz or 24/48kHz.

1. America - Live in Chicago
  2. The Band - The Last Waltz
  3. Eric Clapton - Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013
  4. Cream - Royal Albert Hall, London May 2-3 5-6 05
  5. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Live At Montreux 1997
  6. Heart - Alive in Seattle
  7. Chris Isaak - Live In Concert & Greatest Hits Live In Concert
  8. Jethro Tull - Live At Montreux 2003
  9. Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same
  10. New Year's Concert 2012

I listen in 2-channel stereo only, and all but one of my Blu-rays have 2-channel stereo in uncompressed LPCM. On the one that does not have uncompressed LPCM stereo I listen to the multichannel Dolby TrueHD downmixed to stereo.

My Blu-ray/SACD player is unlike my previous DVD players as it does not give the sampling frequency and bit depth but instead gives the bit rate. I found conversations on the internet as follows:

Converting bit rate for Stereo LPCM uncompressed to bit depth and sampling frequency.

1536 kbps = 16/48kHz

1920 kbps = 20/48kHZ

2304 kbps = 24/48kHz

4234 kbps = 24/88.2kHz

4608 kbps = 24/96kHz

8467 kbps = 24/176.4kHz

9216 kbps = 24/192kHz

Most Blu-Ray Pure Audio discs list the sample frequency and bit depth on the packaging, most Blu-Ray audio/video concerts and music videos do not.

I don't know how to convert the losslessly compressed multichannel programs such Dolby True HD or dts HD Master Audio.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

In the above post, conversations should be conversions. I must have misspelled it and spell check gave the wrong word as correction and I didn't notice. The sentence should read:

I found conversions on the internet as follows:

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

On a Mac, I use MakeMKV to decrypt the disc and DVD Audio Extractor to rip.

I successfully ripped Amy Winehouse with the above but John Lennon's Imagine stalls with MakeMKV even with latest version. Anyone successfully ripped this bluray audio?

Many BD-A releases are also available as hi-rez downloads, using the same mastering.

I buy the BD when it is cheaper than the download (this is surprisingly often the case) or when it has interesting bonus material (video, alternate mixes).

Since my Blu-ray player (Oppo 93) is connected to a stereo DAC via S/PDIF, it will only output 24/48 maximum. That's why I have ripped the BD-A discs and play the files.

The BD-A format would be more interesting if there wasn't this silly limitation. I'm not getting a HDMI solution for two dozen discs currently in my collection.

Claude

I successfully ripped Amy Winehouse with the above but John Lennon's Imagine stalls with MakeMKV even with latest version. Anyone successfully ripped this bluray audio?

I have, but long enough ago I don't even remember what I used.

Edit: Or was it a Lennon compilation? Will check when I'm home this evening.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Unfortunately ripping BD is becoming nearly impossible with each new encryption scheme unless digital copy is included which IS NOT the case with audio only discs. My collection resides with my SACD discs and I don't find it too troublesome to spin a disc now and then.

i use Digiber software, will rip from Blu-ray and DVD to any format you want & convert any format to another format.

[OFFICIAL] Digiber | Video & Audio Converter, DVD & Blu-ray Ripper, Data Recovery

I use SlySoft AnyDVD and DVD Extractor for all my Bluray Audio rips. Including Imagine.

Software: HQPlayer | JRiver | Fidelizer Pro | Roon | Qobuz

Music Server: i7 6700K (Windows 10) | DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD, Marantz SA 14S-1, Schitt Yggdrasil | Preamp: DIY AMB alpha24 Fully-differential line amp | Amp: DIY M3 Balanced or DIY Tube Amp (2A3-300B) | Headphone: Shure SRH-1840, Audeze LCD-X, AKG K-501, Sennheiser HD600, HD800 | Speakers: Klipsch Heresey III