IGNORED

Mark Waldrep/Sound Liaison/DSD vs PCM part 2,(Mark answers computer audiophile.)

Do an advanced forum search for "Charles Hansen" and "DSD." :)

You can add "Gilad Tiefenbrun" (of Linn), "Berkeley Audio Design" and "DSD" to that list. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I'm pretty confident that if Mr. Waldrep preferred DSD, that is the format in which he would be recording and that is the format he would be selling. A lot of us make records because we love making records. A the small, independents tend to be labors of love. (Anyone think Mr. Waldrep is getting wealthy doing this?) As such, the proprietors are doing things the way they *want* to do them.

I don't know how much can be attributed to his preference for the sound of PCM as opposed to what he sees as considerable 'extra work' with DSD for editing, etc. He has been on an anti-DSD crusade for some time. I can't see how it is a marketing 'plus' for him because it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I have spoken to and exchanged emails with Mark. He is not getting wealthy doing this. For a long time, his site required that you download each file of an album separately because he did not have a proper downloader. He couldn't afford to do what larger online sellers have done by purchasing one from JRiver. I know he was working on one and he may have it now. You are correct that he does not view analog as a high resolution format. He does not consider well produced analog tape masters to be a standard against which to measure digital sound quality.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Bottom line as I see it is the man has an opinion and he's entitled to it. Just as much as any of us is entitled to our opinions.

I think that is fine...as long as someone doesn't try to give me *my* opinion. ;-}

Of course he is entitled to his opinion. But, when you are selling a 'competing' product and you broadcast that opinion on your blog, you are bound to raise some shackles. There is clearly room for both formats and, IMO, bashing one or the other ultimately accomplishes little or nothing. His blog goes far beyond being merely 'informational' re DSD, e.g. his interview with John Siau.

FWIW, regarding your comment about crusades, I believe that there definitely are 'some folks here at CA that seem to be on their own crusades'. :)

• 3 years later...
On 6/15/2015 at 11:02 AM, Jud said:

Do an advanced forum search for "Charles Hansen" and "DSD." :)

Or you could Google:

1. "James Tanner" and "DSD" for his posts before Bryston changed their stripes and came out with a DAC that supports DSD, or

2. "Linn" and "DSD" after they stopped releasing recordings on SACD. :)