IGNORED

Modified CAPS Pipeline if No More HDPlex - Advice

Hi All,

Some folks have now been waiting for the HDPlex new H5 case and 300W linear psu for nearly a year. I hope Larry is well but he doesnt answer emails or respond to his own forum. I must now consider other options.

I am thinking of a modified CAPS 4 Pipeline and need some advice:

1) Does anyone know if the SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAE-O ATX mobo

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SAE-O ATX.png

will fit the Streacom F10 or F10 alpha case using the standard heat pipes and without the HT4 cooler riser used by the Pipeline mobo (Pipeline uses the MBD-X10SLH-F-O uATX ) ? I have attached photos of the board and diagram from Streacom but as I dont know exact measurements of the internal board layout it seems like guess work ?

fc10_cpu_postion.gif

2) Power Supply

The Pipeline uses the HDPlex 100W linear psu with HDPlex 250W DC-ATX converter. As Chris C says

I was very happy to find this PSU because it features all the connections needed for the fairly large server sized motherboard (Supermicro X10SLH-F). Finding another DC to ATX converter than can support this board is nearly impossible.

If HDPlex 100W linear psu with HDPlex 250W DC-ATX converter are no longer available does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks for any help

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

He answered emails I've sent to him. Received a HDPlex LPSU with altered voltages within the last 2 weeks too. Also he sent out a replacement H1S faceplate.

But then, I paid for the above. Maybe money talks.

And it seems the HDPlex and 250W are in stock right now.

Is the problem simply he's not answering emails pestering him about products a long time in development atm?

Hi JakovH

thanks for replying

He answered emails I've sent to him. Received a HDPlex LPSU with altered voltages within the last 2 weeks too. Also he sent out a replacement H1S faceplate......And it seems the HDPlex and 250W are in stock right now.

Good to know he is still on the job.

Which voltage output did he change for you?

But then, I paid for the above. Maybe money talks. Is the problem simply he's not answering emails pestering him about products a long time in development atm?

Quite possibly, but arguably its not pestering when something is nearly a year overdue. Not answering emails is one thing but not communicating on his own forum is another. At any rate I need to move on so any input on OP questions appreciated.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

I required 19/12/9/7. I tested them when they arrived and all are as ordered.

As with almost any online purchase, I buy via paypal when possible just in case the item fails to eventuate.

I was awaiting the H5S myself originally but used the H1S in the end.

The issue with the euro based products (re.passive cooled cases) was the exchange rate and the appalling shipping costs.

He seems to be avoiding the questions on products in development. And from memory, that wasn't much different 1.5 years or so ago.

Hi All,

Some folks have now been waiting for the HDPlex new H5 case and 300W linear psu for nearly a year. I hope Larry is well but he doesnt answer emails or respond to his own forum. I must now consider other options.

I am thinking of a modified CAPS 4 Pipeline and need some advice:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19184[/ATTACH]

will fit the Streacom F10 or F10 alpha case using the standard heat pipes and without the HT4 cooler riser used by the Pipeline mobo (Pipeline uses the MBD-X10SLH-F-O uATX ) ? I have attached photos of the board and diagram from Streacom but as I dont know exact measurements of the internal board layout it seems like guess work ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19185[/ATTACH]

2) Power Supply

The Pipeline uses the HDPlex 100W linear psu with HDPlex 250W DC-ATX converter. As Chris C says

If HDPlex 100W linear psu with HDPlex 250W DC-ATX converter are no longer available does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks for any help

David

Hi there.

as per streacoms website the FC10 supports ATX.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

You can ask over at endpcnoise.com

They sell parts for and assembled fanless PCs. Built me a Pipeline with slightly different MB and CPU. MB was supermicro.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Pepsican, its more whether the heat pipes will be compatible

Not a problem on the heatpipes. They will only run from the CPU to trhe right and there are no obstacles to the right. And even if there is, you can buy a heatpipe extension that will elevate them so it will cross even over the 24 Pin plug and RAM. Last but not least, streacom only does 4 heat pipes in their design, not 6 or 8 that HD-Pleax do. So your path is narrower.

As such, and based on the reviews of HD-Plex and Streacom on the SilentPCReview.com website, I would be careful not to go over the 65W TDP that streacom specifies. Yes, I know their website says 95W, but you need to read the small print. It only applies to free standing PC in a room at 20 degrees with some flow air flow around the case. If you place it in a cabinet or live in a climate where you need A/C, the 65W is what they say they will support.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

I would be careful not to go over the 65W TDP that streacom specifies. Yes, I know their website says 95W, but you need to read the small print. It only applies to free standing PC in a room at 20 degrees with some flow air flow around the case. If you place it in a cabinet or live in a climate where you need A/C, the 65W is what they say they will support.

Yeh that worries me too. My CPU is 84W TDP but with the same case and similarly spec'd Pipeline CPU (80W TDP) I was hoping to get away with it....hmmm

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Mine is rated at 84 TDP and so far I haven't found it getting hot doing anything audio related, including upsampling on the fly to 128 DSD. Room is definitely over 20 Centigrade.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Mine is rated at 84 TDP and so far I haven't found it getting hot doing anything audio related, including upsampling on the fly to 128 DSD. Room is definitely over 20 Centigrade.

Good to know ,thanks firedog.

Larry is still here but keeping things close to the chest and has responded in the HDPLex forum

[TABLE=width: 794]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2]

Originally Posted by cojo

Earlier in the month, an email from Larry to a confidant was reported in CA pages.http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...04/index2.html #45 #46.

This would encourage those who keep the faith to anticipate an announcement with photos of H5 MkII in the latter part of June and an opportunity to purchase around July.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

originally Posted by bjd Thank you and I am pretty sure my new H5 case with 300W LPSU combo will make this year C.A.P.S build.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 5 weeks later...

will fit the Streacom F10 or F10 alpha

David

You can use this method to determine whether it fits or not

Copy"fc10_cpu_postion.gif" into Word and print it out.

Cut out the area that is marked with

Standard Heat Pipe CPU Position Area

Or LongPipe CPU Area

Copy the image of the motherboard into word

do not print out.

Add"fc10_cpu _position.gif" over the image of

motherboard on the monitor

Adjust the picture of the motherboard so screw holes are aligned.

• 1 month later...
You can use this method to determine whether it fits or not

Copy"fc10_cpu_postion.gif" into Word and print it out.

Cut out the area that is marked with

Standard Heat Pipe CPU Position Area

Or LongPipe CPU Area

Copy the image of the motherboard into word

do not print out.

Add"fc10_cpu _position.gif" over the image of

motherboard on the monitor

Adjust the picture of the motherboard so screw holes are aligned.

Okay so now you're just showing off ! Too cool :-) Thanks

Sound Minds Mind Sound

• 5 months later...