IGNORED

Equipment isolation and vibration damping.

Hi Barry, funny we had thus same discussion a yr or two ago. And, I never did find any machinist to make the cups affordable. And those 18" tubes were too big for my stand to fit. So, begrudgingly, I gave it all up.

But my system has been so elevated by 1. Moving equip to side wall, 2. Reripped all my PCM music to 32bit floating 192, managed by a Synology 5bay RAID, and lastly an iFi Micro DSD for Dsd/ISO files.

Now I'm saturating to feel I should address vibrations again. So I'm thinking of making a couple larger stands to accom the 18" tube, and just try a premade roller ball/cup setup.

Anyway, still loving my LIO 8 for PCM and am happy to simply see the topic is still alive and being addressed actively.

Take care Barry,

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you! I'm glad you're still loving your LIO-8. I feel the same way about my ULN-8 (which is really the same device).

I'm glad to see the topic alive too. When I first found the benefits I wrote an article about them and wondered why this wasn't being shouted from the audio rooftops. Perhaps as folks' systems get better, they are more revealing of the benefits of proper isolation.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

Great to hear from you too Barry! Funny, when I got the iFi Micro DSD I was hoping to use this for both Dsd and PCM. Ted Brady had warned me of dac's sweet spots beforehand, and damned if he wasn't right. The iFi sounds great for Dsd, yet too clinical and fatiguing when compared to the LIO. So here I am w two DACs and loving the best of what both have to offer. Been also experimenting with power supplies. And lastly, I reripped my music to 32bit floating/192hz CDs to waves. Really lovely rips comp to 16/44.

All of this has taken the system to new heights, and now back to vibration control, again lol. It is funny though how were all are learning to address things written off in the past, relatively speaking, like power, vibration and room interactions.

Pm sent Barry

Take Care

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Hi Chris,

This has been my experience with almost every DAC I've compared to the ULN/LIO-8.

They either sound clinical and fatiguing (the one's with the most rave reviews) or they sound "softened" in an effort to make them less "digital."

I've referred to these two "schools" in many posts as the "detail enhancers" (providing "detail" that is not in the recording, i.e., spurious harmonics, which we used to call "harmonic distortion") or the "silky smooth" (rounding out the sharp edges of both bad recordings and good recordings alike).

To keep this post on topic, here's my ULN-8 "afloat" on Hip Joints:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19540[/ATTACH]

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

Barry, totally agree about that summary, and on topic, I gotta try that soon lol

Another thing you could (I'd even say 'should', as you might like it!) is to offline convert your WAV rips to DSD128 prior to sending them to the DAC (offline or real-time, but I get better results to my ears and in my system with offline).

YashN, I've not tried that, never even thought if it to be honest. I'll futz around with a few this weekend and give it a listen. Thx

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, lg marble pieces one could look at are those white baking marble slabs.

• 5 months later...

thanks for sharing your opinion Jabbr. I"ve been wanting to implement this too ever since Barry started this topic. I just haven't been willing to spend too much; so great to hear your pos. experience with a $90/set. Great price relatively.