IGNORED

Pioneer N50-a returned to dealer, but what to try next?

Hello,

I have had a Pioneer N50-a for just over a month, the first unit had problems playing internet radio and .mp3 streams from a NAS. My dealer exchanged the first unit for a second one last week and now the 2nd one suffers from the same problems. Additionally 24 bit 96 kHz flac files now have exhibited the same issues when sources from the NAS.

The unit goes in to a kind of "buffering" mode with an hour glass on the screen and the music stops.

My dealer has offered me a choice of two units to replace the Pioneer, Marantz NA6005 or a Bluesound Node.

Can anyone offer an opinion as to which is better of the two?

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

The two products are somewhat different so depends on what you want to use it for and what you future plans are. Bluesound is the new competitor to Sonos designed by former NAD guys. High rezz streaming and you can expand system to include your whole house with various options just like Sonos. Set up to run streaming services such as Tidal and Deezer which the Marantz does not have from what I can tell. The Marantz appears to have limited streaming options built in but on the other hand it can act as a DAC for other external sources through coax or toslink input. Also can stream from your iPhone etc. via Bluetooth but not ideal for audio. What are you connecting it to? Personally I would go with the Bluesound but that is not knowing exactly what your goal is now and in the future.

The two products are somewhat different so depends on what you want to use it for and what you future plans are. Bluesound is the new competitor to Sonos designed by former NAD guys. High rezz streaming and you can expand system to include your whole house with various options just like Sonos. Set up to run streaming services such as Tidal and Deezer which the Marantz does not have from what I can tell. The Marantz appears to have limited streaming options built in but on the other hand it can act as a DAC for other external sources through coax or toslink input. Also can stream from your iPhone etc. via Bluetooth but not ideal for audio. What are you connecting it to? Personally I would go with the Bluesound but that is not knowing exactly what your goal is now and in the future.

I returned a pioneer n70a also, and get a lumin D1. What a difference between them.

Hello,

my use will be just a single unit, no expansion required beyond this. The Bluesound seems to have two disadvantages, 1) no DSD playback, 2) control is exclusively on the wi-fi control app, no controls on the unit itself.

As yet I have no DSD files! but I do not want to limit my future use by excluding this possibility at this stage.

The Marantz unit, the remote app looks pretty basic, no artwork display on the unit display or even on the app.

However it does play everything I want, including DSD.

This is a real contender to replace the Pioneer.

So, I guess it is Sony or Marantz...

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Indeed the Lumin D1 should be much better, but for 3 times the price, it is outside of my price band. I bet it sounds great!

Did your Pioneer unit have problems, or did you just not like the sound?

I will check it out... Does your advert say why you are selling?

I have a lumin d1 posted on the classfied here if you are interested. But it's 220v so not suitable in U.S. if that's where you are from.

just checked your add... Sorry out of my price range....

The Marantz appears to have limited streaming options built in but on the other hand it can act as a DAC for other external sources through coax or toslink input.

How so is the NA6005 "limited" in streaming options? It streams everything available today. Also, yes it can be used as a DAC, but only has a single Toslink input. No coax.

The Marantz unit, the remote app looks pretty basic, no artwork display on the unit display or even on the app.

The remote app is somewhat basic looking, but it has everything you need to control the unit, and it DOES display artwork on the app.

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

I did not see the artwork display on any of the tube clips I found.Nice to know as this is where the artwork really counts. Even more tempted to add this little beauty to my systems now...

Hi GilesM,

From your posts on the other threads you seem to be still using the N-50A. Has the 'buffering' issue been resolved? If so, how did you sort it out?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I did not see the artwork display on any of the tube clips I found.Nice to know as this is where the artwork really counts. Even more tempted to add this little beauty to my systems now...

Just taken a few minutes ago...

p1259593009-5.jpg

p1259593040-5.jpg

p1259593067-5.jpg

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

Oh.. that is quite nice! I like it.. does the app connect easily or is it a bit 'flappy'?

Oh.. that is quite nice! I like it.. does the app connect easily or is it a bit 'flappy'?

Like I said before, the app has its little quirks, but it works.

Hello John,

Sad to say no, I have not resolved the issue. I am really unsure as to why this happened (and may happen again). The reason I am still using the N50-a is that I can not really be sure the fault is with the device. This is the second unit I have had, can they both be faulty? Obviously yes if it is a software or hardware design problem, but I have been working with Pioneer to resolve and they are mystified as well. My concern is, even if I change the N50-a for say a Marantz unit or a Bluesound, the same may happen again, if indeed the issue is located in my network somewhere. However Pioneer have agreed that I have done everything possible to build a network that should be faultless. No one has a solid answer for me. Pioneer are being very open minded with the possibility that the unit might or might not been at fault.

Full credit to Pioneer and my dealer (Sevenoaks Sound and Vision) for being willing and able to assist me.

This is a problem with the modern world of computer audio and streaming, locating the source of errors and such can be a nightmare. In the old days a CD player worked or it did not. What has evolved is harder to troubleshoot because of all the potential points of failure.

Hello John,

Sad to say no, I have not resolved the issue. I am really unsure as to why this happened (and may happen again). The reason I am still using the N50-a is that I can not really be sure the fault is with the device. This is the second unit I have had, can they both be faulty? Obviously yes if it is a software or hardware design problem, but I have been working with Pioneer to resolve and they are mystified as well. My concern is, even if I change the N50-a for say a Marantz unit or a Bluesound, the same may happen again, if indeed the issue is located in my network somewhere. However Pioneer have agreed that I have done everything possible to build a network that should be faultless. No one has a solid answer for me. Pioneer are being very open minded with the possibility that the unit might or might not been at fault.

Full credit to Pioneer and my dealer (Sevenoaks Sound and Vision) for being willing and able to assist me.

This is a problem with the modern world of computer audio and streaming, locating the source of errors and such can be a nightmare. In the old days a CD player worked or it did not. What has evolved is harder to troubleshoot because of all the potential points of failure.

From what I remember, you have the N50-a hardwired to the network. I could possibly understand having some buffering issues if you were running it via wifi. But even then, if you have modern network gear, wifi should work just as well for the most part.

From what I remember, you have the N50-a hardwired to the network. I could possibly understand having some buffering issues if you were running it via wifi. But even then, if you have modern network gear, wifi should work just as well for the most part.

The N50-a has no wi-fi receiver built in and I have not added the optional extra, so it is hardwired. Wiring in newly installed Cat. 6 and the router is brand new as well (netgear business class gigabit router).

This is why I can not see where the problem is, theory is it should not be happening.

The N50-a has no wi-fi receiver built in and I have not added the optional extra, so it is hardwired. Wiring in newly installed Cat. 6 and the router is brand new as well (netgear business class gigabit router).

This is why I can not see where the problem is, theory is it should not be happening.

That certainly is odd. I'm running a Linksys E2500 hardwired to an old Netgear 10/100 switch with old standard CAT 5, then into the NA6005. It's been running non-stop ever since I got it last week without a single glitch. Streaming from internet radio, Pandora, my server. Flawless performance.

I'm thinking that maybe Pioneer has some faulty software are some of their units and need to do a firmware update.

Are you running your network DHCP or Static. If static, do you have proper DNS settings on the Pioneer? Are you sure you don't have it set with the same IP address as something else on the network?

I know these are newbie type questions, but it could be as something simply overlooked.

That certainly is odd. I'm running a Linksys E2500 hardwired to an old Netgear 10/100 switch with old standard CAT 5, then into the NA6005. It's been running non-stop ever since I got it last week without a single glitch. Streaming from internet radio, Pandora, my server. Flawless performance.

I'm thinking that maybe Pioneer has some faulty software are some of their units and need to do a firmware update.

Are you running your network DHCP or Static. If static, do you have proper DNS settings on the Pioneer? Are you sure you don't have it set with the same IP address as something else on the network?

I know these are newbie type questions, but it could be as something simply overlooked.

Well, I am running it with a reserved I.P. (static address) no address conflicts on the network. Also I am running the latest firmware from Pioneer (which, interestingly specifically noted this as one of the problems addressed by the update).

Having said that it has been running all day today with no issues and nothing has changed in the network.

I have given in and decided to order the Marantz device, the I can compare the two...

I have given in and decided to order the Marantz device, the I can compare the two...

I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

I hope so, but I wonder will it suffer from the same buffering problems as the Pioneer does? My reason for buying another device is to overcome this break in music and radio play.

I hope so, but I wonder will it suffer from the same buffering problems as the Pioneer does? My reason for buying another device is to overcome this break in music and radio play.

Well if it does, then it's something with your network and/or internet at that point.

I only had buffering problems one time with my NA6005, BUT... That was due to the "Audiophile Jazz" internet radio station having issues of its own. As soon as I switched to any other station to listen to, it played without fault. And now luckily, the Audiophile Jazz station works fine as well. They were probably having some kind of server problems.

I leave my system running 24/7, and internet radio or streaming from my NAS runs non-stop without a single problem for days on end.

Taking the Pioneer N50-a back to dealer today. Replacing with Marantz NA6005.

I do hope I am happy with this one....