IGNORED

Postulate to ECM Records - for high resolution reissues

Hello,

After Keith Jarrett remasters release of vinyl pearls in high resolution download and its extraordinary sound quality I thought that maybe we could try to persuade ECM Records to reissue some of the stunning albums they have, not only those initially released on vinyl, but also others which could potentially improves if Jan or other experienced mastering engineer put its hand on it driven by Manfred's approval.

My choices are:

1. Kenny Wheeler- The Widow In The Window and Deer Wan

2. Mick Goodrick; John Surman; Eddie Gomez; Jack DeJohnette - In Pas(s)ing

3. Peter Erskine - As It Is

4. Arild Andersen - If You Look Far Enough

5. John Abercrombie Quartet - Arcade

Some of them already sound good in redbook, but maybe the sound could be improved to even better level. What do you think, your suggestions?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

In my opinion two albums that were sounded terrific on LPs and suffered from redbook transfer immensely were those from Art Ensemble of Chicago: Nice Guys and Full Force. One would never understand why Down Beat magazine selected Full Force as Jazz Album Of The Year if only will listen to CD. I would love to try hires here.

In my opinion two albums that were sounded terrific on LPs and suffered from redbook transfer immensely were those from Art Ensemble of Chicago: Nice Guys and Full Force. One would never understand why Down Beat magazine selected Full Force as Jazz Album Of The Year if only will listen to CD. I would love to try hires here.

Very good point! Simce I am not from vinyl era, hard to me to compare, but if you guys know such things please post here.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Do we just select great ECM releases for hires candidacy, or focus on those, which suffered from redbook transfers being great at the same moment?

Jarret's redbooks were not so bad at all. Personal Mountains was ok.

Well, i was focusing on musical content first. But you have a good point.

1. Kenny Wheeler- The Widow In The Window

3. Peter Erskine - As It Is

4. Arild Andersen - If You Look Far Enough

These are PCM recordings from 1990, 1995, 1988, so not likely candidates for a hi-rez reissue given the recording resolution.

I would rather see earlier albums from the analogue era (which went into the late 80's depending on the studio).

Too many to list, but some of my favourites would be John Surman, Jan Garbarek, Terje Rypdal, Enrico Rava, Tomasz Stańko, Pat Metheny, Eberhard Weber.

I have most of them on LPs, which sound better than the CD reissues, so I think there is some potential for sound improvement.

Claude

My favorite ECM recording that is presently unavailable is Old and New Dreams. That version of Lonely Women is friggin' awesome.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

These are PCM recordings from 1990, 1995, 1988, so not likely candidates for a hi-rez reissue given the recording resolution.

I would rather see earlier albums from the analogue era (which went into the late 80's depending on the studio).

Too many to list, but some of my favourites would be John Surman, Jan Garbarek, Terje Rypdal, Enrico Rava, Tomasz Stańko, Pat Metheny, Eberhard Weber.

I have most of them on LPs, which sound better than the CD reissues, so I think there is some potential for sound improvement.

Some of your favorites mine too. Stanko's 'From the Green Hill' and Weber's 'Pendulum' amongst the best from ECM's stable.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.