IGNORED

Apple Bags Yosemite For Yet Another New Mac OSX

Announced at today's developer conference. Mac OSX 10.11 follows last year’s "Yosemite" release, which brought the look of iOS 7 and 8 to the desktop as well as close integration with the iPhone and iPad with features like “Handoff” and “Continuity.”

The developer beta for OSX 10.11 "El Capitan" is available today, with a public beta launching in July. Full upgrade will be available this fall (free). Main upgrades include enhancements to Mail, Safari, Spotlight, Finder search and window management. Overall speed for launching of apps, etc., is also promised to be faster.

Really hope they fix the messed up networking/wi-fi and performance that Yosemite displayed for a good while.

They just announced Apple Music as well.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Still not a big fan of how the UIs look on both desktop and mobile.

I think I may try iOS 9 on one of our two iPads, but I probably will hold back on testing El Capitan.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

It isn't the speed that bothers me so much as it is the negative trajectory.

They did finally fix the networking problems in Yosemite, BTW, in 10.4.4. They did this by reverting to what is in 10.9 (something I did manually myself).

I think they have really lost their way.

Anyone else fed up with the increasing pace of OS 'upgrades' ??

It's not so much the pace as the method. Prior to Yosemite, Apple was the sole tester of the initial versions, then Developers got access to the previews. What the public obtained was a final version after a few rounds of testing.

For Yosemite, Apple for the first time made a public beta.

Now, obviously, for a beta, the goal is to solve the bugs as reported by the audience along the way.

But the bugs in Yosemite were quite big: utter slow downs on my MBP, and frequent Wi-Fi/network issues.

The bugs stayed there for a large amount of time. Because these are bugs which prevent you from using the computer in a normal way they look like critical bugs.

Apple's networking implementation used to be stellar: plug and play with bonjour, etc...

But I think they tried replacing one of the stalwart networking services by something new and this didn't work well.

It may seems a fanatical thing to say but during Steve Jobs tenure, you probably wouldn't have seen that kind of bug propagated to the end-user. There were bugs with their initial iCloud precursor, and people were promptly fired for that blunder.

As for the UI, I believe they wanted to improve performance, especially for retina displays, but everything looks flat, everything looks too colourful like cheap toys, everything looks bad.

Steve mentioned in his Stanford address how him skipping his usual class but going to calligraphy or something like that has a large role in how Mac OS X looks (at the time).

I am not sure he would be happy seeing it today.

As for the UI, I believe they wanted to improve performance, especially for retina displays, but everything looks flat, everything looks too colourful like cheap toys, everything looks bad.

Steve mentioned in his Stanford address how him skipping his usual class but going to calligraphy or something like that has a large role in how Mac OS X looks (at the time).

My well-to-do, pre-teen great nephews and nieces all have iPads and iPhones. IMO, the GUI has been dumbed-down and is clearly aimed this up-and-coming demographic market, i.e., young kids.

My well-to-do, pre-teen great nephews and nieces all have iPads and iPhones. IMO, the GUI has been dumbed-down and is clearly aimed this up-and-coming demographic market, i.e., young kids.

I would think that if they were going to dumb it down, it would be for us old folks!

-Bob

It's not so much the pace as the method... during Steve Jobs tenure, you probably wouldn't have seen that kind of bug propagated to the end-user.

Right, part of the fallout of faster OS upgrade releases is poor quality control. My main issue is having to spend more time dealing with maintaining my computers rather then just using them productively, and the accelerated obsolescence of useful programs, and learned procedures. Bah Humbug, says the grumpy old man :)

As for the UI, I believe they wanted to improve performance, especially for retina displays, but everything looks flat, everything looks too colorful like cheap toys, everything looks bad.

Shades of awful Windows colors. I have long maintained that no Windows programmer should be allowed access to color palettes, only trained graphics designers. I first noticed the problem with ver 3.1 ! I'll be seriously bummed if Apple continues down that road to be as ugly as Windows :(

I recently had the misfortune to have to deal with JRivers's Pono MusicWorld application (cheaper HD Aqualung !).

The web app is bad enough - try finding out how to download music files ! I finally found a key hint (here to download the PMW app) buried in a CA post - nowhere else

Aside from reminding me of the MS Zune, the PMW app was the worst piece of dreck application I have come across in a long time. Even through it was the Mac OSX version, it was an ugly Windows app through and through, and looked like the menu items were selected with Bingo balls. Ugh !!!

. What the hell do they use for brains ???

If Pono fails, I will blame JRiver, not NY.

Anyone else fed up with the increasing pace of OS 'upgrades' ??

Apple switched to an annual rhythm a few years ago. They've stuck to it.

How could anyone be fed up with getting the option to install free feature upgrades every year?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

How could anyone be fed up with getting the option to install free feature upgrades every year?

I'm sure geeks are happy with the 'new features', but I am no longer a geek (at least, not most of the time), and those 'features' are usually meaningless to my computer usage.

The downsides well outweigh the upsides for me.

Does that answer your question ?

I'm sure geeks are happy with the 'new features', but I am no longer a geek, and those 'features' are meaningless to my computer usage.

Does that answer your question ?

Taking to a forum to complain about the pace of OS upgrades sounds awfully geeky to me. :-)

These upgrades are offered for free to those who see value in upgrading. Why not just ignore the new OS if you already have everything you need?

Also to suggest that these upgrades benefit only geeks really misses the mark.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Deleted

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Being a "jump first, ask questions later" kind of guy ;) I've installed the current beta on my laptop - which works quite well, actually, except that USB audio is broken :/ Either a burst of music followed by static, or just static.

Several others over at Macrumors are reporting this, and the same devices / cables work on Yosemite (i.e., on my Mac Mini server) and Windows 8.1 (+ Windows 10 Preview), so it's definitely an issue with El Capitan.

Since it's easily reproducible and prominent if you're using USB audio devices, s/b fixed pretty quickly, I'd think . . . but no hurry for audiophile just yet ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 2 weeks later...
Being a "jump first, ask questions later" kind of guy ;) I've installed the current beta on my laptop - which works quite well, actually, except that USB audio is broken :/ Either a burst of music followed by static, or just static.

Several others over at Macrumors are reporting this, and the same devices / cables work on Yosemite (i.e., on my Mac Mini server) and Windows 8.1 (+ Windows 10 Preview), so it's definitely an issue with El Capitan.

Since it's easily reproducible and prominent if you're using USB audio devices, s/b fixed pretty quickly, I'd think . . . but no hurry for audiophile just yet ;)

UPDATE: Todays' new build (OS X 10.11 El Capitan Developer Beta 2 1.0) appears to resolve the USB peripherals issue - enjoying Roon via my LH Labs Geek Pulse X Infinity now :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thanks John, I may go ahead and install it then.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It's not so much the pace as the method. Prior to Yosemite, Apple was the sole tester of the initial versions, then Developers got access to the previews. What the public obtained was a final version after a few rounds of testing.

For Yosemite, Apple for the first time made a public beta.

Now, obviously, for a beta, the goal is to solve the bugs as reported by the audience along the way.

But the bugs in Yosemite were quite big: utter slow downs on my MBP, and frequent Wi-Fi/network issues.

The bugs stayed there for a large amount of time. Because these are bugs which prevent you from using the computer in a normal way they look like critical bugs.

Apple's networking implementation used to be stellar: plug and play with bonjour, etc...

But I think they tried replacing one of the stalwart networking services by something new and this didn't work well.

It may seems a fanatical thing to say but during Steve Jobs tenure, you probably wouldn't have seen that kind of bug propagated to the end-user. There were bugs with their initial iCloud precursor, and people were promptly fired for that blunder.

I would agree with you in that everything does look like cheap toys