IGNORED

How does Lynx AES16 improve sound ? Output captured.

bordin

Hi,

I just got the Lynx AES16e, and it really makes music sound a lot better in my system, using an external DAC. The music sounds very balanced and detailed, similar to when I tried a hi-end CD transport.

People have explained that "the Lynx Effect" is all about the lower jitter specification of the digital output. I read through a wealth of information about "jitter" in the forums.

Best Low Jitter feed for external DAC

Clocks and Alpha DAC

Jitter sensitivity of DAC on digital input signal

Music Playback From A Computer – The Audiophile's Concerns + Jitter Listening Test 2007

What does jitter sound like?

Jitter paths

Jitter for Dummies

Newbie questions

Cheap DAC for jittery digital source (Apple TV,...)

More in the forums. :-)

I also had a chance to capture the AES16e's output, converted to the S/PDIF level using a simple voltage divider circuit, and to compare the wave form against the output of the other audio interface devices I own.

Lynx AES16e @ 44.1k Another adapter @ 44.1k

lynx44.th.jpg other44.th.jpg

My DIY AES-2-SPDIF Converter

aes2spdif.th.jpg

A friend of mine pointed me to the specification of the CS8416 S/PDIF receiver's clock recovery (page 8) employed in my DAC. The CS8416's RMCK Output Jitter is < 200 ps RMS.

cs8416.th.jpg

While the Wolfson's WM8804 offers the jitter performance less than 50 ps.

Article: Jitter Performance of S/PDIF Digital Interface Tranceivers (Wolfson)

My understanding is that the S/PDIF receiver offers the jitter rating (suppression for the bad input) at a certain number, either 50 or 200 ps, and the Lyxn adapter helps reducing this number lower resulting in the improved sonic quality. I'm not sure about this.

Should the jitter level be measured appropriately: Some additional thoughts about measuring jitter ?

BTW, my friend said that it could be the effect of the software driver on Windows that Lynx crafts. If there is a way to prove that the S/PDIF output contains identical bits of the original source file, then there would be no issue with the driver, i.e. bit-perfect.

The Lynx adapter must have a magic inside !