IGNORED

Which UPS comes with Baetis Reference?

Ships with unit - CyberPower® 850 VA UPS model number CP850PFCLCD

Baetis Audio-Power Supplies

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Thank you.

If I connect my Shunyata Hydra 8 or Jena Labs power conditioner to the CyberPower do you think it will further improve the sound quality? I will only connect low power components (Lumin A1 and Shindo Pre).

I have the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1500VA 900W unit plugged into my BP-35 Signature Plus Ultra Isolator. I have my music server external LPSU, media converter, DAC and my pre-amp plugged into the CyberPower unit with good results. The CyberPower unit is 100% silent.

I would plug the CyberPower unit into your Shunyata Hydra 8 and then plug your front end equipment into the CyberPower unit. So plug the Shunyata Hydra 8 directly into the wall. You should get good results like I did.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

I used to use Cyberpower and APC "computer" UPSes, until I realized it was effecting the sound for the negative. I know Baetis recommends it, but for sound quality, all it's doing is actually putting noise into your computer stream. The only UPS I didn't mind as bad as all the rest I've tried is the APC S15 or S20 I think it was.

All the rest have noise coming off them that negatively effects the sound.

I used to use Cyberpower and APC "computer" UPSes, until I realized it was effecting the sound for the negative. I know Baetis recommends it, but for sound quality, all it's doing is actually putting noise into your computer stream. The only UPS I didn't mind as bad as all the rest I've tried is the APC S15 or S20 I think it was.

Definitely not my experience.

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

I have the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1500VA 900W unit plugged into my BP-35 Signature Plus Ultra Isolator. I have my music server external LPSU, media converter, DAC and my pre-amp plugged into the CyberPower unit with good results. The CyberPower unit is 100% silent.

I would plug the CyberPower unit into your Shunyata Hydra 8 and then plug your front end equipment into the CyberPower unit. So plug the Shunyata Hydra 8 directly into the wall. You should get good results like I did.

Hi,

Just wondering why you decided to plug the CyberPower into the Bp-35 and not the other way around, with the CyberPower plugged into the wall. Is this what BP recommends?

I have a CyberPower on order and was going to plug my isolation transformer into it and then my audio sources into the transformer. Not sure if this is the best way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi,

Just wondering why you decided to plug the CyberPower into the Bp-35 and not the other way around, with the CyberPower plugged into the wall. Is this what BP recommends?

I have a CyberPower on order and was going to plug my isolation transformer into it and then my audio sources into the transformer. Not sure if this is the best way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Because the isolation transformer has no power limitation where the UPS does. I also want to make sure my components get a clean Pure Sinewave power. The isolation transformer will also isolate the UPS from the power grid. I have my Music server external PS, media converter & DAC plugged into the SURG/Battery side and the pre-amp plugged into the SURG side of the CyberPower unit.

I just got a CP1500PFCLCD but haven't had time to play with it yet. First off the PFC versions are very different from the non-PFC versions, so just saying CyberPower is not sufficient, the series is important.

From my reading of the documentation this device runs in three modes:

1) Bypass, the AC in goes to the AC out, there is some filtering but the out is NOT being fed by the inverter. There is a SMPS on the line which is charging the battery. As far as I can tell this is the normal mode of the device and is what is happening most of the time.

2) AVR mode. The SMPS supply feeds the inverter. In this mode the inverter IS feeding the output. As far as I can tell this mode is only used when the AC mains voltage is "out of spec", either too low or too high. If it is within range of "normal" this mode is not active.

3) Battery mode. The battery drives the inverter. This mode is only supposed to happen when there is 0 volts on the input (or very low, too low to run the SMPS supply)

If the above is really true then in normal operation the "puresinewave" inverter is turned off and you are not getting any advantage from it.

Now you COULD put a big variac in front of the device and dial it down until the AVR mode kicks in and then you would be running off the inverter. An isolation transformer with a lot of taps might also work as well, just set it to a 90V tap and you will probably be in AVR mode.

There may also be a way to have it always run in AVR mode but I have not found that in the manual.

I'll be doing some serious experimenting with mine over the next few days and let you all know what I find out.

John S.

It is likely this can happen, since the noise from the audio components (mainly harmonics and pulsed current) have nowhere else to go other than congregate at the UPS, rather than the house network which effectively has a lower source impedance than the UPS.

To minimise this cross pollination of AC line noise so that it doesn't affect other audio components is not so simple at the AC side. For some modest results, I measured a drop in voltage harmonics of about 10-18db something (IIRC) on the AC side using a balanced transformer. To avoid data loss which I experienced far too often, I bought an Eaton 9135 UPS for HP Z800 just last week where the music files are stored. Haven't noticed much of a change in the sound just yet, but it's early days, certainly not worse.

I will work on the exercise where the balanced transformer is supplied by the UPS, see what goes on there with a scope.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

UPDATE!!!

After some critical listening sessions I have made a small change for BEST results in SQ playback. I now plug my Pass Labs Pre-Amp directly into the BPT isolation transformer. I have my entre digital front end which includes the music server external LPSU “UpTone JS2”, USB to Optical Glass Fiber media converter and the DAC plugged in to the CyberPower Sinewave UPS. NOTE: The UPS is plugged in to the BPT isolation transformer so that the UPS is isolated from the nasty utility power grid. I’ve notice a slight additional reduction in the noise floor. I also don’t have to worry about brown/black outs effecting my sensitive digital equipment any more. System is sounding just AWSOME!