IGNORED

Speaker Recommendations

Nobody is right except YOU. So get what YOU like.

I came to that conclusion after reading this forum for several months. :)

I do value the opinions of those more experienced than I, however, and almost always research their suggestions to determine whether they will work for me.

You asked about the Focal speakers. I haven't heard those you listed, but Focal makes nice speakers.

I do think the idea of powered speakers is a very good one. Don't know if your Focal dealer handles any of their monitor speakers. If so I like the idea of a pair of their CMS65 monitor speakers, and a pair of their CMS Subs which would run you around $4k. You only need a good DAC/preamp to play music with them then. These have some frequency contour adjustments on the back of the speakers which are useful. Now these are meant to be used as monitor speakers in a studio. In your size room, and with the subs you might well adjust the frequency contour to get a nice result for simple music playback. In any case, if the dealer has these on hand, might be worth a listen.

Now if Digipete were reading this thread, he might suggest some powered Genelec speakers.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Those look like something I might be allowed to put in our living room. Too bad the kid decided to go to college.

What about creative financing? Don't know if you have put in for financial aid for the kid's college. Surely spending money on the F208 reduces your bank account, and thereby improves the aid available. Sounds good if you don't think about it too much anyway.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18825[/ATTACH]

Model 3A Signature | Vandersteen Audio

Vandersteen 3A Signature. Own them, love them. Owned the 2 series for 25 years before that. They will in no way limit whatever electronics you want to run them with, so plenty of room to upgrade the rest of the system in the future before you have to concern yourself with speakers again.

I just love these things, so don't expect objectivity from me about them. :)

Try them for half your budget...sell them if you don't like them! I'm NOT associated with this seller nor am I advocating purchase from them, just an example of the savings you can realize with used equipment.

FS: Vandersteen 3A Signatures, 2CE Signatures (Salt Lake City, Utah)

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Try them for half your budget...sell them if you don't like them! I'm NOT associated with this seller nor am I advocating purchase from them, just an example of the savings you can realize with used equipment.

FS: Vandersteen 3A Signatures, 2CE Signatures (Salt Lake City, Utah)

I bought my 3A Sigs used (from a friend) and sold my 20+ year old 2Ces in perfect condition to a fellow who told me he was thrilled with them. No problem with these used if you're satisfied with the seller's bona fides.

Quick edit: You might want to look for used in perfect condition. They'd be more than these but still much less than new.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

+1 for Vandersteens in providing long term satisfaction. I have a 30 year old set of 2c's in one system and they still sound great. My dad has a set of Model 4's (maybe upgraded to 4a?) and they still sound really fantastic. He has changed out the electronics (except for his Audio Research D400II) but the speakers are still going strong.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Also investigate if you can do a Devialet + Speakers combination. They have a list on their website.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I would give very serious consideration to a nice pair of used Magnepan 3.7 (and have them upgraded to 3.7i status), or even a pair of 3.7's could be had for about $42-4500. Incredible speakers and unlike anything you have ever heard. A pair of powerful NCore mono's would be perfect with them too. They were absolute Sounds product of the year in 2014, and have been called the greatest value in audio. At the very least, you should audition them.

Maggie 3.7 "best buy…(loudspeakers)…regardless of price". The Absolute Sound Magazine picks "Greatest Bargains" of 2012.

Jonathan Valin of The Absolute Sound —

Best Sound (cost-no-object): Magnepan 3.7i driven by Pass Labs and sourced by exaSound. The most natural and realistic sound at the show.

Most Coveted Product: Magnepan 3.7i.

(Note that Jonathon was covering speakers $20,000 and up and awarded the room with 3.7is “Best Sound (cost-no-object)”)

Julie Mullens of The Absolute Sound —

Best Sound (for the money): Paired with the upgraded exaSound e22 Mk. II DAC and Pass Labs’ X250.8 amps, the Maggie 3.7i’s stole the show. Simply put, they are priced at $5995, but sound like a million bucks.

Jim Hannon of The Absolute Sound —

Best Sound (for the money): The Magnepan 3.7i driven by Pass Labs X250.8 with an exaSound e12 DAC put many more costly systems to shame. It sounds more like the real thing than you’d imagine.

Andre Jennings of The Absolute Sound--

JC

Of course, I agree!

Magnepan 3.7i speakers, REL S/3 sub, PS Audio BHK250 amp, Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse, Server - Atom N2800 motherboard, 4GB RAM, 500GB SSD running Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer 1.40 and JRiver MC 21.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18825[/ATTACH]

Model 3A Signature | Vandersteen Audio

Vandersteen 3A Signature. Own them, love them. Owned the 2 series for 25 years before that. They will in no way limit whatever electronics you want to run them with, so plenty of room to upgrade the rest of the system in the future before you have to concern yourself with speakers again.

I just love these things, so don't expect objectivity from me about them. :)

Jud,

The photo on the Vandersteen web site isn't much bigger than the one you posted. I'm trying to figure out the drivers. In their specs they don't list a woofer,but they say it has an "Active Acoustic Coupler". I see what looks like 4 drivers in the picture. How do these things work?

Mark

Jud,

The photo on the Vandersteen web site isn't much bigger than the one you posted. I'm trying to figure out the drivers. In their specs they don't list a woofer,but they say it has an "Active Acoustic Coupler". I see what looks like 4 drivers in the picture. How do these things work?

Mark

I am not Jud, but have had hands on with a couple of Vandersteens. According to them it is a 3 way speaker. The 4 th driver, the largest 'woofer' is called an Active Acoustic Coupler though it mostly functions like a passive radiator. However this one is active. It is connected in the crossover, but not conventionally. It has been awhile, but as I remember part of the crossover is setup like a resonant circuit which connects to that Coupler or radiator. So not directly driven, but the response of the 4th driver is actively shaped and coupled though not directly driven by the input signal. Some models (don't remember if it was the 3a) also had a wooden disc glued to the center of the 4th driver. The weight of it with the other parameters served to dampen the response to the shape they needed for it to have.

I strongly agree with the idea that you make sure you at least give a listen to the Magnepans. Until a recent financial setback I was set to purchase a pair myself and I have heard a LOT of speakers in my time. There isn't anything else IMO that provides the purity and transparency and sense of musicality that a well set up pair of 3.7i's will. Unless you had the room and budget for the 20.7's of course.

I strongly agree with the idea that you make sure you at least give a listen to the Magnepans. Until a recent financial setback I was set to purchase a pair myself and I have heard a LOT of speakers in my time. There isn't anything else IMO that provides the purity and transparency and sense of musicality that a well set up pair of 3.7i's will. Unless you had the room and budget for the 20.7's of course.

+1 on magnepans or ML electrostats...they both seem to have the ability to make the music seem omni-present.

I also like the higher end paradigms.

+1 on magnepans or ML electrostats...they both seem to have the ability to make the music seem omni-present.

So many have suggested the Magnepans that I will definitely give them a listen. I may have even figured out how they would fit in my room.

I also like the higher end paradigms.

I'm glad you mentioned the Paradigms. I don't see them talked about much on this site, but I think they make some pretty good speakers. I don't think I can afford the Signature series, but I have been looking at the Reference series. There is a dealer here in town where I can hear them, unlike many of the other speakers I am considering.

The Selah Audio Tempesta, a 3-way with a 7" Scanspeak Illuminator midbass, a 3" Accuton mid, and a RAAL 70/10 ribbon tweeter.

A great all-around performer with good clean bass down to the upper 30's (w/room gain). One of the best Monitors out there for under $5000; Rick Craig at Selah does a great job-

pawsman

Nuprime CDP-9 w/Teradak DC-30 LPS/Mivera ICEedge 1200AS2 Class D amplifer/Tekton Impact Monitors/2 Emotiva DSP 10 Subs/Emotiva CMX-2 Line fliter-DC offset

• 4 weeks later...